Interested in how add ons reimburse movie makers
(2016-05-03, 07:46)RamboUnchained Wrote:
(2016-05-02, 23:53)greenbag Wrote:
(2016-05-02, 23:15)RamboUnchained Wrote: Personally, I've never had an issue pirating or with someone else pirating from a multi-billion dollar industry. Hollywood is ALWAYS going to get theirs. What I do hate is the torrenting of games, programs, and movies from small indie companies. Some of these guys depend on the kickbacks from the work they've put in. High profile actors and actresses are going to get paid millions if 5 people or 5,000 people download a movie they were in. Say a studio releases 12 movies in a year that rakes in a grosse of 2 billion in revenue. If 100k copies of a $20 blu-ray is pirated, They're still $198 million in the green lol. It's a drop in the bucket.

I agree with that.. but I thought your argument was ripping and distributing "any" copywritten materials, including movies. "The moment you rip and redistribute copywritten material you're a piracy advocate." Sorry about that.

When it comes to apps and such.. I completely agree. Although I have tested a few in the past, and wish I could actually afford a real copy. Our laws used to allow that as well.. as long as we didn't upload. As for selling counterfeit replicas.. I completely agree as well.. that's outright bit-for-bit piracy. But a ripped sd copy is different. Who's to say the film was actually ripped from dvd, and not a paid ppv from their local provider, then pulled off their pvr hard drive? You're allowed to record a tv program, using dvd recorders, for personal use. That personal use extends to family and friends. It's not a full blown bit-for-bit hd copy, This is where personal rights and freedoms comes into play.. we can share in our immediate circle of family and friends, but why not with friends across the globe? Because big business tells us we can't.

On the other hand... you can actually "borrow" the latest copy of Star Wars, on Bluray... direct from my local library. For free. And completely legal. There's a lot of videos for use at the library. Smile

Code:
https://vpl.bibliocommons.com/search?q=star%20wars&t=keyword

Eye opener lol. Sooo many loop-holes. My argument was that I don't feel Quasar is any different from blacklisted addons as far as the end goal is concerned. I did make it a bit circular, so I can see where the confusion lies lmao.

I'm also just throwing points into the discussion.. not really arguing as such. I can tend to rant. Tongue
I have always thought pulsar/quasar was on shaky grounds on this forum.

Bittorrent has legit uses, you can download ubuntu, or other copyleft software or creative commons or public domain media.

However Quasar/Pulsar does not have legit uses IMHO. It scrapes popular movie listing sites (themoviedb and tvdb) and creates lists of popular/latest/coolest movies and tv programmes, then hands off to the (not hosted here) provider to find a torrent.

So it is not looking for or accessing ANY material where the copyright holder has permitted downloading. It doesn't download copyleft software, it doesn't download creative commons media or public domain media. It DOES download popular movies and tv, which are all copyright to the big and small media companies.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
If the core add-on did that then I would agree. In fact, I did agree back when it was called XBMCTorrent. I insisted to Team Kodi that the add-on should be removed from the forum, but before the discussion could conclude the add-on author seperated out the "providers" that scrape content, and created a new torrent add-on.

Whenever discussion of pirate/bootleg providers popped up, I did my best to delete those threads.

That scraping point is where I feel the line should be drawn.
https://github.com/scakemyer/plugin.video.quasar

Just see for yourself. Especially the screenshots, Also "Quasar is centered around media: it browses media from TheMovieDB and TheTVDB. And so, when you decide you want to watch a media (i.e. given an IMDB or TVDB Id), here's what Quasar does:" Trakt can be used. I mean, seriously, how can a user not be confused when this addon gets support and streaming addons do not.
Quasar/pulsar ONLY makes movies and tv shows available for download.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Well, maybe someone will make a Quasar provider for http://www.publicdomaintorrents.info :P

Then I can sync my watched status of Betty Boop cartoons between installs.

As ridiculous as some people might think that is, as long as pirate/bootleg providers are (edit: +not) discussed on the Kodi forum, then the line hasn't been crossed.
There's also https://archive.org that could be a legitimate source.
(2016-05-04, 16:19)jjd-uk Wrote: There's also https://archive.org that could be a legitimate source.

I love that site. I'm pretty sure it's already available through one of the plugins. IIRC.
No, those sites will never have movies or TV on the "most popular" or "latest" type lists that quasar presents.
(2016-05-04, 22:00)nickr Wrote: No, those sites will never have movies or TV on the "most popular" or "latest" type lists that quasar presents.

Archive.org? No, but they're best for archived news and such. They have the entire 9/11 news archives, start to finish, 3 days worth, from numerous news agencies worldwide. Stuff like that is what they're best for.
(2016-05-04, 02:07)nickr Wrote: Quasar/pulsar ONLY makes movies and tv shows available for download.

IMO there is no difference between a bittorrent plugin and one that sources filehosts.
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2016-05-04, 23:05)greenbag Wrote:
(2016-05-04, 22:00)nickr Wrote: No, those sites will never have movies or TV on the "most popular" or "latest" type lists that quasar presents.

Archive.org? No, but they're best for archived news and such. They have the entire 9/11 news archives, start to finish, 3 days worth, from numerous news agencies worldwide. Stuff like that is what they're best for.
And those will never be indexed by pulsar or quasar because they aren't on tvdb.
(2016-05-05, 01:39)nickr Wrote:
(2016-05-04, 23:05)greenbag Wrote:

And those will never be indexed by pulsar or quasar because they aren't on tvdb.

That's why I said no. I was merely explaining what it was. It already has it's own plugin anyway.
So if there is no entry on TVDB then it won't even search the provider? As in, TVDB is also a filter and not just a source of metadata, in how quasar works? If so, then I understand your point a lot more.
I think you can feed it a torrent file, but that’s not the primary method of use afaik.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Interested in how add ons reimburse movie makers0