[NEWB] Can not flash sd card
I just bought a Lenovo ideapad 100s-11iby netbook (which is locked onto windows 10 through the BIOS) with the instension of using it to flash sd cards to use with the raspberry pi 3 b which I have recently purchased as well but so far have not had operational. I have formatted the sd card fat 32 with the windows 10 GUI, CMD, and the sd card format tool from sdcard.org. I tried to flash open source media centre with their sd installer and with win32diskimager and It crashes every time (I might add that sometime during the process I accidentally select a usb drive and it worked.

Do I need a more powerful computer to complete this operation or there something I am doing wrong? I have spent hours trying to figure it out

Thanks in advance
Here is a list of things to check that I have done wrong in the past.

Is the sdcard >= 8gb? <-- I don’t know what the requirements are but that should be good enough.
Is the lock on the side of the card enabled? <-- This happens to me a lot.

You don’t need a more powerful computer. There is probably someone better suited to help you I use Linux not windows but I have never formatted the card before making an image on it.
Have you tried a different card?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I have tried multiple ones to no avail. Maybe someone could please post some download links and what format they used in case I have missed something vital along the way (seems relatively simple though but sometimes the answer is in plain sight).
Maybe try running win32diskimager from the cmd prompt, and see what kind of error message it spits out when it crashes. It doesn't always, but sometimes it shows the error. If for some reason it closes the cmd prompt window when it crashes, then start win32diskimager from a simple batchfile, but put 'pause' at the end of it. Without the ' '.
what format doe you use for the sd card? I usually format in cmd but have never run win32diskimage from cmd, it a simple process and would you care to explain?
find the directory win32diskimage.exe is in, then open cmd prompt, and either cd into that directory, or run it as a full path...

Code:
C:\blah\blah\win32diskimage.exe

making a batchfile is a text with that command, then add

Code:
pause

at the end of it. It'll wait for you to press any key before closing. Put the win32diskimage.bat, or whatever you call it, in your C:\ directory, then run

Code:
win32diskimage.bat

or

Code:
C:\win32diskimage.bat

Code:
http://superuser.com/questions/77624/run-exe-from-command-prompt
I run linux, so it's been a while since I've been on a Windows machine, but I think if you run...

Code:
C:\blah\blah\win32diskimage.exe /v

that should give you more debug text flowing through the terminal.
(2016-04-27, 14:55)martyraspberrypi Wrote: I just bought a Lenovo ideapad 100s-11iby netbook (which is locked onto windows 10 through the BIOS) with the instension of using it to flash sd cards to use with the raspberry pi 3 b which I have recently purchased as well but so far have not had operational. I have formatted the sd card fat 32 with the windows 10 GUI, CMD, and the sd card format tool from sdcard.org. I tried to flash open source media centre with their sd installer and with win32diskimager and It crashes every time (I might add that sometime during the process I accidentally select a usb drive and it worked.

Do I need a more powerful computer to complete this operation or there something I am doing wrong? I have spent hours trying to figure it out

Thanks in advance

Have you installed the latest drivers for your SD card writer/reader from the Lenovo Website?

Did you check if there is a write protect switch on the SD card? Make sure it is in the Unlocked/Write position.

Win32DiskImager does not require the SD card to be formatted to work as it writes the raw image to the selected disk.

For best results, make sure your SD card is erased properly before using Win32Diskimager.

How to erase your SD card in Windows 10:

NOTE: These steps will permanently erase/zero all sectors on the selected drive. Back up all data
and triple check you are selecting the correct disk. This can potentially wipe one of your system disks if
not done correctly. Be careful!
  • Safely remove and unplug all external USB drives.
    This will reduce the risk of accidental erasure of the wrong disk.
  • Press <WinKey>+<X> to bring up the advanced hidden Windows menu.
  • Click on Command Prompt (admin) to open an elevated command prompt.
  • In the command line, type in diskpart and press <ENTER>.
  • Type in list disk and press <ENTER>.
  • Find the disk that corresponds to your SD card (it should be the entry with the disk size closest to the size of your SD card).
  • Type in select disk n where n is the assigned disk number of your SD card in the list. Then press <ENTER>.
  • Type in list disk and press <ENTER>.
  • Check the list of disks again and make sure that your SD card has been selected correctly (there will be an asterix * next to the selected disk).
  • To do the full erase, type clean all and press <ENTER>.
  • Wait for the erase to complete. The time taken will depend on the size of the SD card.
  • Once complete, type exit and press <ENTER> to exit diskpart.
  • Once the command prompt has returned, type exit and press <ENTER> to close the command prompt window.
  • Run Win32DiskImager and try to write the image file again.

I always erase SD cards/USB disks first before writing a new image to them.
I have been doing that but I was also formatting to fat32 after doing cmd clean. Just got a different brand sd card and still no cigar. I shall try again, tempted to get an el cheapo laptop and run linux to see if things changed on that but I'm a tightarse so I really would like to get my head around doing it with windows 10.
Cmd is freezing sometimes when trying to load diskpart, I'm guessing I just don't have a powerful enough machine, this netbook was $265 with 2gb ram new (can't upgrade because the ram is welded to the motherboard) processor is Intel® Atom™ Z3735F Quad-Core Processor.
Are you using an adapter or the netbook SD slot?

• Intel NUC Kit DN2820FYKH ~ Crucial DDR3L SO-DIMM 4GB ~ SanDisk ReadyCache 32GB SSD ~ Microsoft MCE model 1039 RC6 remote
I am using the netbook sd card slot, does this make any difference? is it slower or faster?
The format of the card prior to writing is irrelevant as the operation is a block level write. Are you running the OSMC installer as admin? This is required.

From my unlocked XT1254
(2016-04-28, 09:59)martyraspberrypi Wrote: Cmd is freezing sometimes when trying to load diskpart, I'm guessing I just don't have a powerful enough machine, this netbook was $265 with 2gb ram new (can't upgrade because the ram is welded to the motherboard) processor is Intel® Atom™ Z3735F Quad-Core Processor.

Make sure your netbook is plugged into the mains before doing a flash of an SD card.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[NEWB] Can not flash sd card0