Automatic startup when TV is switched on
Hello,

ever since the Raspberry Pi 2 was released, I had a sweet setup that looked like this:

- Sony TV with USB port that loses power when the TV is switched to standby
- RPi 2 running OpenELEC, power cable connected to TV USB port
- Nano USB WiFi stick and USB DVB-S tuner (which has a separate power supply) connected to RPi 2

The 500mA coming from the TV USB port was sufficient to watch everything from Live TV to 1080p BluRay rips streamed from my NAS via WiFi.
Using CEC, I use the TV remote to control Kodi and when I switch the TV off, Kodi shuts down (again via CEC functionality).
After some time, the TV goes to some deep sleep mode and shuts off the USB port's power, so the RPi is completely off.
When I switch the TV back on, the USB gets back its power and the RPi boots OpenELEC again.

But since I switched to a Emby server for syncing watch statuses etc, I sometimes noticed the rainbow square warning me about low power.
Now I'm searching for a way to give the RPi more power, without losing the comfort of my setup.

Is there any software way to suspend/wake the RPi automatically when the TV switches off/on?
Or could I use a separate power supply for the RPi and connect the TVs USB cable to some GPIO pin which signals the RPi to boot up again?

- hanzoh
The kodi krypton nightly builds here have the ability to do software suspend, CEC should wake it back up.
Just leave it on 24/7, it uses around 2W.
(2016-05-04, 16:09)bledd Wrote: Just leave it on 24/7, it uses around 2W.

From that point of view you are probably right.
I calculated that I pay about 2 Euros per year per Watt.
But I just wanted to know if there is an easy solution, from a technology point of view.
(2016-05-04, 16:09)bledd Wrote: Just leave it on 24/7, it uses around 2W.

The only issue I'd have, is if there was a power failure, and the os got corrupted from an improper shutdown. Especially if you're running the os from the microsd, and not an external drive. Doubly so if you're overclocking.

edit: I guess it doesn't matter, as that could happen when you're watching it as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Automatic startup when TV is switched on0