v17 Add a back/cancel/leave/close/exit-button in the setting subsection menus
Yesterday I accidentally happened to click in the top left corner (new multi-media keyboard with a tiny and fiddly in-built touchpad) of the screen when changing some settings in the new Kodi 17 alpha I was trying out, and got moved back to the main settings menu. I didn't know that was possible... The first time I started up xbmc a few years ago, I was really _really_ frustrated about being forced to use a keyboard and an esc-key to get back from the settings, and that it wasn't possible using only the mouse. I just didn't bother about writing and asking about this, I just sighed. Maybe it have been possible to do this all the time, in every version, I don't know.

Now, since it's obviously is possible to exit a setting subsection using only the mouse, this is a feature request to make it more clear and easy to understand that you can do that. Use a button with Back/Exit/Close text, or a distinct symbol, something like a back-sweep arrow maybe.
kodi is designed for remotes. Suitable remotes have a back button.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Surely the intention isn't that the UI should be hard to use for someone that doesn't have a functioning remote? You are implying that it's a low-priority fix, and I agree, but it's also a very small and easy one.

I remembered it incorrectly actually, about when I first started using xbmc. It wasn't the settings or the subsection configurations, but just one single rarely used configuration dialog that didn't have a close or back button that I happened to enter. I only had a mouse then - I had no controller/remote at all, and the keyboard was somewhere else, don't remember where or why. I had to switch off the power to get out of it.
but remotes are an old input paradigm way of thinking; making other alternatives 100% possible should be also be considered and these would probably be welcomed by people that find using remotes and their little buttons hard or impossible. TV’s especially the smart tv's have gesture inputs which instead of using your hand, you can use your foot to control the smart interface and for this to be effective “back” or “exit” buttons are needed.
Yes, didn't even think of that. Of course it must be easy to use and understand with a touchscreen.
what if you cannot touch the screen? anyway the Kodi team got some recognition for making the application more accessible in version 15.1, It is hard to represent & embed every perspective into the interface, but they seem to try....

http://www.mediaaccess.org.au/latest_new...y-features
Kodi is, first and formost, about using a remote control. I would argue that it is 99% of the point.

That being said, the default skin is what is remote-centric. If you want to use a mouse then you should switch to the mouse/touch version of Estuary. In other words, your request has already been granted.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Add a back/cancel/leave/close/exit-button in the setting subsection menus0