<SOLVED> Kodi locks up on arch linux with catalyst and compton installed
i have an a6 laptop with a 6520g graphics card apu on a quad core processor with 6 gigs of ram and a 500gb hdd.

I had to downgrade xorg-sever to get catalys installed but now my kodi locks up when i run it and i get this error when i run it from the terminal. happend with kodi 16 and 16.1 so far.:

sh: lsb_release: command not found
libpng warning: iCCP: known incorrect sRGB profile

at a loss as to what to do.
Use the OSS drivers
Catalyst is not supported and shall die in fire ... kodi officially does not support fglrx. If you experience bugs with it -> file it with the amd proprietary driver department.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2016-05-08, 08:03)teeedubb Wrote: Use the OSS drivers

what's an oss driver? the oss instead of pulse or alsa?
(2016-05-08, 08:22)fritsch Wrote: Catalyst is not supported and shall die in fire ... kodi officially does not support fglrx. If you experience bugs with it -> file it with the amd proprietary driver department.

works on manjaro and that's arch, why shouldn't it work with straight arch then too?
The open source ati drivers do not work on my system neither do the amdgpu drivers. I have an monitor with hdmi only that can't display 1920 x1080 on the viewable area. It's too big. I have to use a custom resolution that only catalyst can give me 1600x900. No opensource driver will give me that resolution. The opensource drive only gives 1024x768 and smaller and that's about worthless.
Then sad for you - kodi won't be supported on your setup and you are on your own.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks Fritsch
I would file bugs with the free desktop people / tuning xrandr commands to add custom modes and so on. Catalyst has no future.
That's a good point.

The thing is that Manjaro, which is arch based installs catalyst and runs kodi just fine on my equipment. This says a lot about their competence since this solution that evades me is showing mine. Smile

I am however trying to use a more pure arch, downgrades to xorg-server and such notwithstanding.

It's rather frustrating knowing there is a solution, yet not having access to it for my current system.

Even so, What you say is true though and you're not the first person to say it. My beavercreek gpu on my apu is capable of displaying many more resolutions than the open source driver is written to provide and that's sad and highly inconvenient.
What happens if you specify this 1600x900 via a very basic xorg.conf and a custom Modeline?

or via xrandr:

xrandr --newmode "1600x900_60.00" 118.25 1600 1696 1856 2112 900 903 908 934 -hsync +vsync

xrandr --addmode YOUR_OUT "1600x900_60.00"

xrandr --output YOUR_OUT --mode "1600x900_60.00"
I tried that before and got a blank screen for my trouble
Tried both of them actually. With the ati driver and the amdgpu driver, neither of which specifically supports my gpu
Please go to bugs.freedesktop.org and actually file it - this needs fixing. fglrx needs to die - your desktop usability with this worst of the worse driver is basically not given at all, e.g. there is no usability with fglrx.
these a6 (mine) and a8 and a10 apu's are rather problematic. They aren't just laptop processors anymore (though mine is). this old beast refuses to die so i keep him going until he quits, satellite l755d-s5104 laptop. the lcd quit so i removed the lid after stripping out the wifi antenna. I've replaced the keyboard on it once (Skittles has a habbit of resting on it because it's warm and she kneads the keyboard with her claws). The battery backup on the motherboard won't secure the battery so everytime i unplug it i have to press f1 to continue. As it is i use a usb wifi keyboard and trackball mouse. The hdd and all the rest work still so i keep it going until i cant and i'm forced to use something else.

I haven't used the battery with it all that much with it so that's practically new..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
<SOLVED> Kodi locks up on arch linux with catalyst and compton installed1