My Kodi Windows System Infected
(2016-05-12, 16:06)trogggy Wrote: If you read the link, you'd see that there is a patch being discussed on the thread here, and that the last but one post on the page I linked to is a suggestion from Martijn that the originator of the patch updates the repo.

Now the OP might be talking about a completely different patch that just coincidentally happens to have appeared at the same time in a distant corner of the internet, but personally I'd ask the question before making any assumptions.

Edit: A quick google doesn't reveal any other patch, not that that's definitive. Maybe the OP could clarify.

Sorry, I did not read past just seeing that the add-on was released by sphere. When you asked if I had read the link, I had assumed you were talking about Martijn's link.

My bad.
<slightlyshocked>Ned Scott is only human after all.</slightly shocked> Smile
I don't get why you think the computer is infected. You have installed lots of addons you don't understand. Mainly addons that you are advised by people on this forum to avoid. And what you are worrying about is the addons doing as they are expected to do - phone home. By the nature of the addons you have they need to reach out to the web to find their dodgy sources.

What is really comical is you start by blaming an addon in the KODI repository instead of all the pirate streaming stuff.

What is even more bizarre to me is you have managed to fill your thread with people who hate the pirate box sellers and these dodgy addons, yet this thread hasn't been sent to Off-Topic for all your banned addons in your logs.
It's an education perhaps for others who insist on using the banned crap...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
All this chatter seems like pure speculation... until actual malicious code is posted i'm skeptical. Not that it's possible... but doubtful there is a malicious plugin in circulation. I personally review all code and repos before installing plugins, after three years I've only found one "malicious" script.

More likely the issue stems from the growing number of "developer plugin modules" and "skin helpers" that all run their own services... Great work and Kudos to all of them, but I've found two factors make it hard to debug whats going one with current Kodi builds.

1. Active services... there was a time when going to settings/addons/services showed you every plugin that ran as a service. But with recent plugin subdivisions including helpers, information, etc... it's practically impossible to tell which plugin installed is running a service?

2. Inadequate logging information, prints or bare logs without a plugin header makes tracing the origin of kodi query painful to track down... Sometimes my system comes to a crawl with multiple skin helpers and widgets all trying to query my large database.

Just my two cents Smile
Image Lunatixz - Kodi / Beta repository
Image PseudoTV - Forum | Website | Youtube | Help?
(2016-05-15, 20:48)Lunatixz Wrote: All this chatter seems like pure speculation... until actual malicious code is posted i'm skeptical. Not that it's possible... but doubtful there is a malicious plugin in circulation. I personally review all code and repos before installing plugins, after three years I've only found one "malicious" script.
My 2d:
I get the impression that some people would be delighted if genuinely malicious code was found.
Hey I'm sorry I don't participate on the forums much if at all obviously and know everything that goes on here. I thought I found something malicious on my kodi system enough to unplug it so thought others might want to know either to forewarn other potential victims or to be a confirmation for me others had seen what I saw which was probably as you stated an addon attempting to reach out to a known malicious site by my anti-virus software . Then what was even more worrisome was those warnings on my program files directories from my anti-virus software. You can close post, its not a big deal.
I am very new at all this stuff. Including getting on forums. I only signed up for this site to say thank u to spinal. But now I'm back on because I think I have the same problem. I didn't even know there were ad dons and repos u weren't supposed to use. But then again that's why I came here. For help. Ballzo was prob doing same thing, then it kinda got turned around on him, by trying to actually help other people out. I will do another reset myself and keep the junk out and see what happens. Thanks for being there all of u. Cheers big ears
I just disabled then uninstalled. Went back to spinalcrack's latest patch it didn't work but installed an older one and is working. Thanks spinal.
(2016-05-15, 21:09)trogggy Wrote:
(2016-05-15, 20:48)Lunatixz Wrote: All this chatter seems like pure speculation... until actual malicious code is posted i'm skeptical. Not that it's possible... but doubtful there is a malicious plugin in circulation. I personally review all code and repos before installing plugins, after three years I've only found one "malicious" script.
My 2d:
I get the impression that some people would be delighted if genuinely malicious code was found.

It does seem to be a generic (unfounded) answer to any issues that are posted, but i can see why this is the approach taken, did anyone actually check the patch before calling it malicious?

In all my years ive probably only seen a couple of addons which had malicious code. This then begs the question what is classed as malicious? To categorize any addons/developers on the "banned" list as containing "malicious code" is in my view incorrect and more confusing. It does however seem to be the default answer to address users problems :/ along with "remove anything thats not from kodi.tv"

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My Kodi Windows System Infected0