Bug Can't game on the same network with Kodi. Kodi causes Ping spikes on my network
I'm using an Android box (Minix U1) with Jarvis 16.0

Every minute or so Kodi causes ping spike on my network. (I have a few computers and the minix connected to the router. Everything is wired using cat 5e)

Zeroconf & UPNP are turned OFF in Kodi System settings.

If I'll ping google from my computer it will look like this:

Quote:Reply from 213.57.23.49: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=57
Reply from 213.57.23.49: bytes=32 time=13ms TTL=57
Reply from 213.57.23.49: bytes=32 time=18ms TTL=57
Reply from 213.57.23.49: bytes=32 time=2549ms TTL=57
Reply from 213.57.23.49: bytes=32 time=21ms TTL=57

Gaming on the network while Kodi is turned on is impossible. (This is the main issue here)

Turning off Kodi will make the ping spikes go away completely.
Turning off Upnp from my router will make the ping spikes go away competently

The log shows nothing when those spikes occur.

The issue was discussed broadly in the forum but with no answers nor open bugs that I could find:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=247933
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=190988

As you can see from the threads the bug exists also on Windows.

Please advise
What do you mean by "turning off upnp from my router"?

From the other threads, it looks something doing upnp with Kodi. Does turning off upnp at Kodi side solves your issue?
In my router's interface (docsis fst-3184) there's a check box for UPNP. If I click it and apply it removes UPnP support from my router.

Turning off UPnP from Kodi Settings -> Services doesn't solve it.

All my UPnP settings inside Kodi Settings -> Services are grayed out. I tried Turning it ON and OFF but that didn't help.
A small update \ bump
I did a fresh Kodi install 16.1
Nothing was added to Kodi, not addons or Video locations. Just a fresh install of kodi with nothing on it.
Still same behavior on my network!
Did the same thing with 16.3 SPMC just for the heck of it. Exact same thing.

Again, turning UPNP off from my router makes all the problems go away.

Is there a Kodi developer around that cant tell me what Kodi does every minute or so that is UPNP related even on a fresh install?
I also have the same problem, any solution?
docsis... hmm.. sounds like a cable internet provider router. I don't think you can blame kodi. Although the U in UPNP is Universal... it's not COMPLETELY universal. I don't like the routers that come with internet providers. I always have my own. I worked for internet providers for 5 years (one being cable) and my suggestion for these one-off situation is to get a standard router like a dlink or a linksys. I would assume with the MILLIONS of users of Kodi, it's probably the way the router is interpreting the UPNP calls. I don't know why you would want UPNP enabled on a router anyway... you're just providing one more path to get a virus or worse.

Go to your local techie mart and get a super basic wireless router. Then call your cable company to bypass the routing done by the modem and hook it up the router. I'm 99% sure that will fix the issue. Not convinced and don't want to spend the money? Borrow a router from a friend or family member for 2 hours or take it to a friend's house and check the pings. I'm sure it will be fine.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't game on the same network with Kodi. Kodi causes Ping spikes on my network1