Virtual "Python folders" - Video browsing plugin architecture with python
Hi everybody,
I already posted this in the python forum (http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=27760, there are some responses yet), but I thought it might be a good idea to post it here as well.
As I'm currently trying to improve the TVLinks and Joox.net scripts, I got an idea for better integration of python scripts into the look and feel of XBMC. Couldn't we implement something like "virtual python folders" for the music and video screen?
I mean something like the integration of Last.FM. You open the special lastfm:// folder and you are presented other folders and playlist that are dynamically generated by the lastfm code. It would be great if we could have a special python://<script_directory>/<script_name.py> URL. When the user accesses this URL for the first time, the python script is called to initialize stuff and is asked for the initial folder contents. This can include other folders and also playable items. For each one of them, the python script can also specify a thumbnail. A special parameter string is attached to the folders, that is passed to the python script if the user enters a folder. The python script then evaluates this parameter string, thus it knows what folder is selected by the user and gives the new folder contents back to XBMC.
This way, a close integration of things like Apple movie trailers, TVLinks, Joox and others would be possible on a plugin base.
For Apple movie trailers for example, a special "details" function with information on the media and things like a search function would be awesome as well.
I think this should be possible and if any of the devs had some time to help, I'd be glad to help with this. I really like XBMC, but I'm not yet content with the look and feel of media streaming scripts.
My English is not so good, so if you don't understand what I'm trying to describe here, please let me know! I could then illustrate my ideas with examples.
This sounds like a good idea, but let's continue the discussion in the original thread.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Virtual "Python folders" - Video browsing plugin architecture with python0