Auto Adjust Video Refresh Rates
Hi,

I'm requesting a way for KODI to automatically match the video to the screen's capability. My region is based on the NTSC format but, I have some PAL media as well. The nuisance begins when I have to manually switch between NTSC refresh rates and 60hz for PAL compatibility. If I don't, the screen blanks out or, if I leave the resolution at 60hz, 24p videos look jerky during higher motion scenes. I'm assuming the same issue occurs with PAL systems playing back NTSC formats.

Basically, something to detect NTSC or PAL videos then match it to the screen's capability when possible. If not, then default to compatibility.

Thanks to all the folks the contribute to making KODI what it is today.
enable "adjust refresh rate to match video" in settings(enable expert mode first)
Kodi already does this in most situations/platforms and hardware combinations. What kind of display are you using?
(2016-06-21, 12:25)wsnipex Wrote: enable "adjust refresh rate to match video" in settings(enable expert mode first)

It's already enabled and works great with all refresh rates of my native format (NTSC). Unfortunately, just a guess, it doesn't recognize the display's capability. So, it'll output the proper PAL refresh rates but is blind as to what the display is actually capable of. This results in a blank screen until I manually disable the "Adjust refresh rate" and restart the video.

I'm running a Windows 10 PC just in case that's not clear.
(2016-06-21, 12:28)Ned Scott Wrote: Kodi already does this in most situations/platforms and hardware combinations. What kind of display are you using?

You're right it does. In fact, I have no issues running my regional format of NTSC. The issue only arises when I play content that's in PAL format. My guess it that it does output the proper refresh rate but, doesn't take into account if the display is capable of the refresh rate being played. At-the-moment, I currently have to disable the "Adjust refresh rate" so it overrides the native file refresh to that of the native screen refresh rate so I can watch the PAL shows.

Currently, I'm using a W10 PC with an LG NTSC 50' TV.
post a debug log (wiki) - prtty sure that kodi obeys the enumerated display modes (which we could see in the debug log)
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2016-06-21, 17:30)Memphiz Wrote: post a debug log (wiki) - prtty sure that kodi obeys the enumerated display modes (which we could see in the debug log)

Log Uploader add-on is giving me an error "Kodi Log Uploader Error". It's ver. 14.1.0

pastebin link: Debug Log
Aaah, so you have an analog display. I thought you were just talking about the format for the videos themselves. As in, not HDMI.
The operating system tells us that the monitor supports pal refresh rates - for example

Code:
00:33:37 T:1472  NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 50.00 - Full Screen

Nothing we can really do about it. Maybe you can inject edid with those modes stripped off so that kodi doesn't see those. Beside that you can force refreshrates for given fps formats via advancedsettings.xml to skip those which don't work.

What you request is already in place technically (as good as the data is the the operating system gives us).
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
(2016-06-22, 06:01)Ned Scott Wrote: Aaah, so you have an analog display. I thought you were just talking about the format for the videos themselves. As in, not HDMI.

I'm using HDMI all the way through. PC > Receiver > TV. I'm not sure what you mean by analog display. Here's the link to my TV. My admittedly limited understanding of analog display is one that uses RGB, component, or s-video cables. Apologies if I'm misunderstanding you.

Maybe this will help clarify:

Options used - "Adjust display refresh rate" activated to forcibly apply encoded video's native refresh rate to display in true full screen.

If video is encoded 25p or 50i/p (PAL Refresh Rates) = Blank Screen.

If video is enconded 24p, 30p, 60i/p (NTSC Refresh Rates) = Refresh rates matches screen capability. No problems.

Observations:

1. I think @Memphiz was onto something. I looked up his term of "enumerated display modes" and, from my understanding, it's the ability to PC and display to communicate possible combinations of refresh rates and resolutions between the devices. In my case, my display is only capable of NTSC refresh standards. Anything out of that spec (PAL, and presumably SECAM, refresh standards) causes a blank screen.

2. It seems as though the "Adjust display refresh rate" doesn't take into account the actual refresh rates the display is capable of and forcibly enforces the video's native refresh rate anyway.

Feature Request:

As best as I can articulate it, I think there are 3 possible ways to approach this.

1. Kodi automatically detects the display's refresh rate then matches the video's native refresh rate when possible. Otherwise, it defaults to the native screen refresh rate.

2. Create a manual setting to indicate the possible refresh settings of the display if indeed KODI doesn't take into account the display's refresh capability when "Adjust display refresh rate" is activated. This would also default to the screen's refresh rate if the video can't be displayed in it's encoded native refresh rate.

ex. under System > Video > Playback

there would be an additional option of something like:

Region Refresh Standard: All, NTSC, PAL, SECAM, or Manual. Manual would be the user plugging in the values that their display is capable of.

3. A hot key to enable/disable "Adjust display refresh rate". This isn't ideal but, it's still easier than going through the systems settings every time it has to be activated/de-activated which is what I'm doing for now.

Sorry for the length. This really went much simpler in my head initially.
(2016-06-22, 07:21)Memphiz Wrote: The operating system tells us that the monitor supports pal refresh rates - for example

Code:
00:33:37 T:1472  NOTICE: Additional mode: 1920x1080@ 50.00 - Full Screen

Nothing we can really do about it. Maybe you can inject edid with those modes stripped off so that kodi doesn't see those. Beside that you can force refreshrates for given fps formats via advancedsettings.xml to skip those which don't work.

What you request is already in place technically (as good as the data is the the operating system gives us).

I see what you mean by 1920x1080@ 50.00.

Given "Adjust display refresh rate" is activated, why does the problem still persist for the 25p? I went through the same section of the log you quoted from and even though it doesn't state 1920x1080@ 25.00, KODI still shows that output based on the video's refresh rate resulting in a blank screen. I'm guessing that even if I were to omit the 1920x1080@ 50.00, the same blank screen would occur if I played a video encoded at that refresh rate. Meaning, KODI forcibly still applies the video's native refresh rate regardless of the OS's (EDID?) stated display capability.
You are not correct. Kodi queries available modes from the OS. Then it searches those modes for a best matching one. If this mode does not work, it is an issue of the OS (Windows) or your graphics driver. Try OpenElec or LibreElec. I am quite sure it will switch modes correctly.
for 25p kodi selects 50 hz in your case. And as said - your system announces support for 50hz. Even if kodi wanted it - it can't force a refreshrate that is unsupported. 50hz is announced to be supported on your system. If this is announced by the tv, the os or the driver - we don't know.

Once again - you can manually alter the refreshrates based on video fps via advancedsettings

have a look at the "adjustrefreshrate" tag here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.xml#video

Please try to understand my post this time before spending time on even more complex settings you want us to add Wink
(2016-06-22, 12:55)FernetMenta Wrote: You are not correct. Kodi queries available modes from the OS. Then it searches those modes for a best matching one. If this mode does not work, it is an issue of the OS (Windows) or your graphics driver. Try OpenElec or LibreElec. I am quite sure it will switch modes correctly.

Using LibreELEC ATM. You're right. The refresh rates switch automatically when it's supported by the display. Otherwise, it switches to default display refresh. No blank screens.

This is what I was asking for in this thread.

You mentioned " If this mode does not work, it is an issue of the OS (Windows) or your graphics driver."
Is the Windows version supposed to treat the refresh rates like this as well or is this limited to OpenElec and LibreElec?
(2016-06-22, 17:54)Memphiz Wrote: for 25p kodi selects 50 hz in your case. And as said - your system announces support for 50hz. Even if kodi wanted it - it can't force a refreshrate that is unsupported. 50hz is announced to be supported on your system. If this is announced by the tv, the os or the driver - we don't know.

Once again - you can manually alter the refreshrates based on video fps via advancedsettings

have a look at the "adjustrefreshrate" tag here:

http://kodi.wiki/view/advancedsettings.xml#video

Please try to understand my post this time before spending time on even more complex settings you want us to add Wink

I'm honestly trying to understand all that's being mentioned in this thread. I'll look into the advancedsettings.xml more.

Apologies for the confusion on my end and thank you for the instructions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Auto Adjust Video Refresh Rates0