Discussion - Music videos, music or video?
Question 
Hi Guys,

while removing some old windows names and cleaning up my views code I came across a interesting problem that I think could do with a little kicking around.

Basically is the Musicvideo node of the library a Music or Video library node and what is the way other handled this in their code?

If you call the musicvideo nodes from the the music library using the following code.
PHP Code:
ActivateWindow(Music,videodb://musicvideos/titles/,return) 
Kodi uses MyMusicNav.xml to display the contents of the musicvideo/title node and allows me to shows the artist of the Music video from my music views.

If on the other hand I use the following code
PHP Code:
ActivateWindow(Video,videodb://musicvideos/titles/,return) 
Kodi uses MyVideoNav.xml to display the contents of musicvideo/title node and does NOT give me access to the artist to display.

Now I have made an arbitrary decision to use the Music library form of the window call so that I can display the artist name and because the cover artwork works better for music video using the music library views code. This works OK except if the user is currently in the Video library nodes and navigates to musicvideos thru the Video library tree. In this case Kodi uses its own internal call to the musicvideo (the Video call in this case) and as a result uses the views code for the Video library and I lose the artist name when I try to display information on the musicvideo. Also it just occurred to me that if I use the Music library form, I don't have access to the MPAA rating, so I can't display the video classification of the music video. So there are advanatages and disadvantaged to using either form.

So as skin writers should we be asking the code devs to provide the artist name and classification rating no matter where the music video node is called from, or should we ask that the internal call to this node be made a shortcut to either the Music or Video library, but not both?

Obviously it is too late to do anything about this for Jarvis, but it would be nice to pin something down before Krypton hits beta. So what are your thoughts on this?

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

FAQ's located at :- http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:AppTV
Imo the musicvideos section in the videos window is for concerts and the musiclibrary is for music clips, but thats really up to the skinner to decide.
The artist field is available in the videos section for musicvideos afaik.
Be good if kodi had option to disable album view for music videos. When i click on artist i have to select an album. Be good to have option display all videos for that artist instead of having to go back and forth selecting albums. Unless theres a workaround if anyone knows.
(2016-07-04, 19:36)BigNoid Wrote: Imo the musicvideos section in the videos window is for concerts and the musiclibrary is for music clips, but thats really up to the skinner to decide.
Yep, that would be fine if the two where seperate sources, but they are the same source just handled differently depending on from which part of the file system the source is shown from. I guess with all of the work going on in Krypton branch on file system seperation etc that maybe some thought on having a generic database for concerts and music videos and other things that don't easily slip into Music or Video might be worth looking into. But this is way, way beyond my pay grade.
Quote:The artist field is available in the videos section for musicvideos afaik.
Will check again, but I'm pretty sure that is not the case. At any rate, it just seems that there is a multiple personality disorder going on here.

Wyrm (AppTV)
If required a FULL debug log can now be submitted from the skin in settings->skin settings->support. Or follow instructions here if you can't access skin settings.

Yes it's not ideal, I agree. There's probably not enough devs interest in that section. Which I can understand btw. I never stored local music videos myself and don't really see the need for it with youtube/vimeo. I would be fine if that whole section got dropped completely.
Concerts can just be stored in the movies database and filtered out by smart playlists if necessary.
BigNoid is right. I also don't see a need for it, since high bandwith connections and services such as YT or Vimeo are available..

I remember the glory days of MTV and the warez sites for music videos - many years ago - where every kid was downloading videos with their 56k modem Smile I think it was when original Napster was still alive. Nowadays the music industry uploads their videos directly to streaming portals.

But these are just my 2 cents and off topic.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
Sound: Saxx AS30 DSP - Beyer Dynamic Custom One Pro 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
Server: i3 Skylake - 8GB - OMV4 - 22TB Storage
Christ, I must be getting old because I remember doing it the real old fashioned way by recording them off MTV using VHS!
(2016-07-05, 16:07)Hitcher Wrote: Christ, I must be getting old because I remember doing it the real old fashioned way by recording them off MTV using VHS!

Not only you. I think I still have some MTV Unplugged recordings somewhere at the basement of my parents. Most likely next to some cassettes with radio recordings labeled with "my hits colelction" or "ghost busters theme". Wink

So... enough off topic from my side. The good ol' days are gone.
Main: Lancool II Mesh  - Ryzen 9 5900x - MSI x570 Unify - Zotac RTX 3080 AMP HOLO - 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600 CL16 -  EVO 960 M.2 250GB / EVO 940 250GB / MX100 512GB /  Crucial P1 2TB / WD Blue 3D Nand 2TB 
TV: Nvidia Shield 2019 Pro- Adalight 114x LEDs - Sony 65XG9505 - Kodi / Emby - Yamaha RX-V683 - Heco Victa 700/101/251a + Dynavoice Magic FX-4
(2016-07-05, 16:07)Hitcher Wrote: Christ, I must be getting old because I remember doing it the real old fashioned way by recording them off MTV using VHS!

I bet you weren't using XBMC to play/show them though Tongue
I used 2 VCR's for editing.
(2016-07-05, 19:44)Hitcher Wrote: I used 2 VCR's for editing.
Dude, you are the Fatboy Slim of the VCR setRofl.

While I was looking for discussion, this is not quite what I was looking for (interesting as it has turned out). Yep, with YouTube etc not as useful as it once was I guess, although It does have its uses. In my case we use it here for the girls dance practice videos and having it on the Music menu in my home screen makes it easy for them to find (the music for their dance routines being on the same menu).

While I also realise that there may not be any code dev willing to code our requested changes, if at least we have a unified idea of the direction we want this to go, we have a better chance of see something come of the discussion.

So to summarise current ideas,
  • Remove Musicvideos section as it is of limited use.
  • Seperate the Music and Video sources for Music video.
  • Point either Video reference at Music or Music reference at Video. Also make sure appropriate info labels for Music and Video are available in Musicvideos section.

So any other ideas on this, and do people have a preferred option?

Wyrm (AppTV)

Probably not the smartest Post i ever made, how ever here it is...

Looks like non of u ever buy a CD, LoL. Wink

Not shure if you knew this, but on some albums, (sometimes on singles 2,) where sometimes also Videoclips stored.

I guess this was, or could be, the primary Intension to store these videos in a Musicvideo Section the Day it was Coded.

Instead of other discussions here, i would rather suggest to add a Fuctionality to Link these Videos (Musicvideos) to there Albums, in the same way as it is already possible to Link a Movie to a related TV-Show.

(2016-07-05, 12:36)BigNoid Wrote: I never stored local music videos myself and don't really see the need for it ............ I would be fine if that whole section got dropped completely.
Concerts can just be stored in the movies database and filtered out by smart playlists if necessary.

First of all, i appreciate your Work for Kodi and your Forum Support, but..

I dont use Feature XY lets drop/remove it?? realy? seems to me a strange kinde of mindset.

(If i go according to the Playcounts from my Stored Videos, i guess it would be better to drop the Movie Section, simply cause i watch much often to a particular stored Music video then to a particular stored Movie Wink. so lets drop the Movie section Smile)) )

Sounds like a nice Idea, doesnt it?

If you would have say: "non of the User use this feature", then i may could thake this serious.

Ask ZAG how many scraper hits he've got last Year for/from Musicvideos Wink , (In case u didnt already knew this)

(2016-07-05, 12:36)BigNoid Wrote: don't really see the need for it with youtube/vimeo.

Sometimes some of the videos get removed, i experienced this not just with Musicvideos, it happens also with Trailers. - just saying..

(guess some of the Musicvideos are also Geoblocked in some Countrys)

How ever, i hope i dont have to thake this "discusion" to serious. and i just dont get this "special what ever" (as i didnt while i read some posts from this tread first...)

but after this seems to gain attention i feel like i have to put my 2cts here.

---

By the way, i use the Musicvideo section for Concerts and Clips, it isnt ideal, and often the scraper doesnt work pretty well, but there is at least one which is imho. fine.

---

If you Guies realy wanna discous about the Musicvideo section in a serious way, im in.

if this was just what ever else. o.k. (+ simply ignore this Post)

Regards.

@wyrim:

Artist does work in both paths for me.

EDIT:

I realy Hope i get this wrong and the "I dont use it lets drop it" wasnt serious. And this isnt the way decisions are made here. As told if you Guies r realy up to a serious discusion im in.

The last CD I bought was 10< years ago. Even my BluRays are rotting -> No optical drive in my PC, laptop, HTPC anymore Wink

Noone said or started a discussion if it should be dropped. Just personal opinions here.
o.k got it.
+ 1,000 for what Rantanplan says. I loooove the musicvideos in kodi and would wish that feature would get some dev love.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Discussion - Music videos, music or video?0