Install error
Hi

I deleted Kodi earlier today with the intention of re installing the latest version. When I try and run the download I get the following error message

Error opening file for writing: C:\Program files (x86)\kodi\addons\metadata.tvdb.com\addon.xml

And then the option to abort, retry or ignore.

None of which help.

Please help.

I am trying to install on windows 8

Many thanks
Seems like you didn't fully uninstall the previous installation.
Did you remove it manually?
Make sure you remove anything in the install dir.
You might have to boot into safe mode. Also delete anything in %appdata%/kodi.

Then, reinstall.
I'm having the same problem but in Windows 10. I tried to delete the Kodi folder at C:\ProgramFiles(x86)/Kodi but I keep getting a message that it can't be deleted because it's open in another program. I have no idea how it could be open in another program. Please help!
This (at least the OP) looks like a completely mangled install.

Normally the program exe itself goes into C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi with the configuration data (including the addons folder and suchlike) in %APPDATA%/Kodi . This is done as the program files (x86) folder and anything in it require admin priv's to write to, which is why things are failing as Kodi doesn't normally have admin privs (and shouldn't need them - indeed it's potentially a dangerous security risk to run it with them).

The only way to make such a mess would be to create a portable install and put it in program files (x86), which is rather defeating the whole purpose of making a portable install in the first place. Those should only be made into folders where the current user has full read/write access, to allow config data etc to be saved properly.

As for being open in another program, that could be anything from an anti-virus scanner to an indexing program or anything else which may scan or review your disk content to actually having Kodi running in the background without knowing it. The simplest check there is to go into task manager and review the running processes, and if nothing obvious shows up then try rebooting the machine completely and then immediately try doing the deletion without starting up or doing anything else first.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
yeah seems probable Darren (Hope all is gr8 with you pal)
Make sure you have admin access, and do a clean fresh install of Kodi stable (noted in my sig)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install error0