Warning: Win 10 Anniversary Update Resets MCE Registry Mappings
I have two separate Win10 powered Kodi machines and after I experienced this a second time, I'm pretty sure the Anniversary Update does this and I wanted to post a warning.

So, if you use registry changes to change what key presses happen when you press a button on your MCE Remote, the Anniversary Update seems to reset these to default. One of my machines was previously updated from Win7 to Win10 and even then the mappings didn't change but this update did that. Thankfully all the registry settings can be changed back, I had no problem using Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool to load my previous mappings from a saved file, reapply them, reboot, and it was all right again. So if anyone else encounters this after the update, you'll hopefully know what the problem is.
How do I know if I running the anniversary update. Is there a history somewhere?
I noticed the same here too, though I think it might be a improvement - eventghost was showing mce keypresses as 'mce.guide' etc. The update also reinstalls windows bloatware such as Skype, office, OneDrive etc. Oh and the update chocked on my dual boot system, I had to reinstall the windows bootloader (not a trivial task, had to be done via windows rescue then repair it with 'dual boot repair') and move the Grub bootloader to another drive.
(2016-08-08, 12:21)David P Johnston Wrote: How do I know if I running the anniversary update. Is there a history somewhere?

If you don't update manually you will get it eventually through Windows Update. If you're not sure you got it you can check by hitting Windows + R, enter 'winver' into the dialog box, and hit enter. If you're on version 1607 you are running the anniversary update.
Windows 11 Pro, Kodi 20, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32gb RAM, nVidia 3080 ti
I'm seeing quite a few issues with Kodi and my original MCE remote. I used the Advanced MCE Remote Mapper to restore my previous settings and that restores the button functions - but sometimes Kodi doesn't respond to the remote at all on resume. I'm using KodiLauncher 1.1 and on idle or remote power button it suspends the computer and kills Kodi. On resume it restarts Kodi - but when it does that Kodi doesn't respond to the remote. I'm not yet sure if this is due to a system issue where the MCE Remote device is being disabled or if its Kodi. I'll keep investigating. Its irritatingly inconsistent and hard to reproduce.
Same happened here on a couple of nucs.
Easily fixed, but still..
(2016-08-10, 14:43)Atreyu Wrote: Same happened here on a couple of nucs.
Easily fixed, but still..

What baffles me is how upgrading one of my machines from Win7 to Win10 didn't reset that, but this update DID. o.O
Yes, seems MS reset some stuff with this update, which essentially is a in-place reinstall..
Apparently the registry gets a cleanup, which did not happen in the 7 - 10 upgrade..

What's weird is, a couple of other profile-related things are touched as well.
For example, my pvr backend generates a dlrecorder.db file which reflects all current recordings.
The file gets renamed during each reboot (why,MS,why?) and poof, recordings seem gone.
So...browse, rename the original file back and restart services. All that for something that shouldn't even matter in the upgrade.
(2016-08-08, 12:21)David P Johnston Wrote: How do I know if I running the anniversary update. Is there a history somewhere?
Easiest is start-run-winver
Hi,

can someone explain me how to get those registry settings back to live ? Facing the same problem here...

Thx !
(2016-08-20, 16:59)Mambobuzzz Wrote: Hi,

can someone explain me how to get those registry settings back to live ? Facing the same problem here...

Thx !

If you didn't have a backup, you'll have to change them all back one by one.
Best to export any settings you add and save them somewhere for safety in case you get this again I've had multiple changes to things over the course of running windows insider builds and have learned to keep everything backed up for easy replacement after an update.

Its changed some strange totally unrelated stuff over the course so I just have everything I can think of ready for easy access. Some stuff I've got needs reinstalled after an update which is a pest, but I think generally normal windows updates shouldn't do any of this but it worth being prepared.

Like said above if you haven't backed anything up into regedit for some tryping Smile
(2016-08-21, 02:39)Derek Wrote: Like said above if you haven't backed anything up into regedit for some tryping Smile

Well, I'd say something like Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool would make modifying the registry for your MCE remote a LOT easier. Tongue
Certainly a great tool.
I just discovered that after restoring the remote keymappings, everything works except the page/channel up/down keys.
Everything's setup correctly in the registry and kodi. These buttons don't seem to send anything anymore. Even replaced the remote to be sure.

Will have a look at this later. Has me puzzled now...
Ok, I'll have a try at Advanced MCE Remote Mapper Tool then. Smile Thanks !

Those remote problems is driving me mad. There is always something going wrong with it !!!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Warning: Win 10 Anniversary Update Resets MCE Registry Mappings0