Kodi constantly writes to disk
Hi, is it really necessary for Kodi to write to the disk every 10 seconds? It's the same whether Kodi is idling or playing media.
http://imgur.com/a/kVbHv

I have Kodi on an SSD, and yeah I know the whole "it would take decades for it to wear out etc" but still.. from an efficiency point of you, would be interested to know the need for the constant disk hits..
Any way to change this behaviour?
Are you sure its not an addon thats causing this cant say i've noticed constant disk writes?

Whats the link represent?
Please post a debug log (wiki). Kodi should never do something like that by itself.
Yer as long as I know kodi always has kept the guisettings.xml file up to date. Are you saying that is not meant to happen? When does kodi write to guisettings.xml?
Aussie, Aussie, Aussie, Oi, Oi, Oi

Don't forget the Thank User button if i have helped!
|
V
Thanks for the replies.

@Derek - the link shows the output of a windows file monitor ...it shows you in real time all activity that is happening on the disk (creates, writes, renames and deletes).

Since you guys mentioned that it's not normal (I assumed it was since it involves core Kodi files guisettings.xml and profiles.xml), I started investigating.
I am using a custom skin that I have been working on for a while, so the first thing I tried was switching back to Confluence - and the constant writes to disk stopped! Going through the code, I found the culprit: in my startup.xml file I have <onload>AlarmClock(ClockInfo,Skin.ToggleSetting(ClockInfoChange),00:10,silent,loop)</onload> . I use that for an animation that rotates the date and the weather next to the clock.

So basically anytime Skin.ToggleSetting() is invoked (or any "Skin." function, for that matter), Kodi writes the files profiles.xml and guisettings.xml to disk. My problem was that I had that on a constant loop.
I will try recreating the same functionality with SetProperty() instead, which should be a temporary parameter, so no disk hits are involved.

Thanks.
(2016-08-21, 05:35)Rjsachse Wrote: Yer as long as I know kodi always has kept the guisettings.xml file up to date. Are you saying that is not meant to happen? When does kodi write to guisettings.xml?

Normally only upon Kodi shutdown, which is why Kodi can seem to "forget" settings if it crash-quits. Some actions might write to files right away, like for profiles. I don't know all of the details, but the problem is normally that Kodi doesn't write often enough :)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi constantly writes to disk0