Windows 10 update behavior
Hi,

I am running Windows 10 Home 64bit with Kodi 16.1.

I noticed that the Windows update is sometimes really annoying. In the middle of watching a movie Windows suddenly updates my computer and does a restart...
I switched from automatic update to plan them myself, but then Kodi will lose focus because a pop-up with for planning the update will appear.

Anybody solved this problem? Is there any way to force Win 10 only to update during shutdown?
Thank youu for your help.

JagoBlitz
You can upgrade win 10 to the pro version which I believe gives back more control over updates.
You could also look for available updates and install them before a Kodi session.
The pro version gives you the option of taking control back through a local security policy.
I haven't needed to configure this, as windows 10 seems to be taking into account how and when the machine is being used.
In my case, reboots always take place when the computer is not used and nothing is scheduled to run.
I find it really weird that in your case, reboots take place while in use..

Btw the focus issue I believe can be solved with launcher4kodi. Has some other nice features too
It happened once that Windows restarted while a movie was running.

I have no idea why this happened (maybe a super important update...who knows), but I don't want it to happen again.
Even in the Pro Version of Windows 10 I couldn't find any option that says: only update while shutting down.
Like I said it's configurable through the local security policy.
You cannot just adjust a slider in the gui.

Read about it here, also states that an option to adjust behaviour in home edition ia supposed to be coming:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-off-au...indows-10/
I don't want to upgrade to Pro... just for that.
BTW I already use the KodiLauncher, but it was not able to prevent loosing focus...it tries... but it fails. It just jumps back and forth between Kodi and the Pop-Up.
Than the only option is to wait for the rumors of a 'fix' for home edition to arrive.
Launcher4kodi should work fine for retaining focus.
If not, post a debug log (wiki). Without it, its kind of hard for anyone to say something useful about it.
(2016-08-21, 14:12)chancenvergeber Wrote: It happened once that Windows restarted while a movie was running.

I have no idea why this happened (maybe a super important update...who knows), but I don't want it to happen again.
Even in the Pro Version of Windows 10 I couldn't find any option that says: only update while shutting down.

I'm using Windows 10 Pro with the Aniversary update, and the option you require is shown in the pictures below.

Just change your active hours to a time when you are not actively doing anything!

That's a nice feature! Thank you very much.
I think the Anniversary upgrade was not installed on my computer yet.

I will check it out.
We had a nice feature in Windows 7 where updates were under pc owner control. You could set windows to only notify updates are available and then select the updates you want before actually downloading and installing them. Or you could simply turn off updates Wink

With Windows 10, MS decides you WILL get uppdates while the owner can decide when within the 24hrs the restart occurs. But the only effective way to stop Windows 10 updates was to define your wireless networks as 'metered' Nod but it was convoluted Huh

However, even though i'm on metered wireless as my usb 4G dongle is plugged into the router, i can't set wired ethernet to 'metered' since MS didn't want to considered such a connection as possible.Angry

In any case, on Windows 10, updates are bundled together with new features as one big blob with little to no details; also coming to Win 7 Confused

Seems MS is making it easier to dump Windows as each day rolls by and likewise Linux for a media center just looks better each day.
Pity BD playback is more difficult on Linux Huh

Sometimes i feel like MS, RIAA and MPAA are just teaching hate (as i do seem to be developing a hate of and because of these multinationals).
I'm a XBMC novice :)
Oh and be warned that some have had their systems borked by the Anniversary update Nod
(2016-08-21, 14:53)Atreyu Wrote: Read about it here, also states that an option to adjust behaviour in home edition ia supposed to be coming:
http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/turn-off-au...indows-10/
Ah, that article seems to be about a year old and is outdated.
If anything, MS are getting shittier towards their users and have decided they know best.
(2016-08-21, 16:47)skylarking Wrote: Seems MS is making it easier to dump Windows as each day rolls by and likewise Linux for a media center just looks better each day.
Pity BD playback is more difficult on Linux Huh

If BD playback worked with linux (similar to AnyDVD in Windows) I would switch immediately,
(2016-08-21, 17:04)chancenvergeber Wrote: If BD playback worked with linux (similar to AnyDVD in Windows) I would switch immediately,
I've read you can use makemkv dll to handle decrypting and unscrambling (BD+) commercial bluray disks with VLC on linux. It may even be adaptable for Kodi use but i haven't tried it with VLC or Kodi.

Problem is that just like other BD rippers, makemkv will be hunted into oblivion by MPAA and its cronies. As such using software that's on borrowed time is sadly only temporary solution Sad
(2016-08-21, 15:17)Pasado Wrote: Just change your active hours to a time when you are not actively doing anything!

]

I just updated Win 10. Active hours can only be set to max. 12 hours. Sad

Monday- Friday active hours will usually be in the evening, but on weekends it could be any time. Win 10 updates are really annoying.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 10 update behavior0