casting video from kodi to .......whatever!
Sad 
Hi guys - I'm new to this streaming malarkey but heres what I'm trying to do.
I have kodi working perfectly [addons permitting] on my laptop.
though I don't own a smart tv, ive made my dumb Toshiba tv a bit smarter by connecting my now redundant Samsung galaxy s3 via hdmi converter.

ive followed various online guides and always get a similar issue.
long clicking a video source, I get the option to "play using" in some repositories but not others and those that do offer the menu, very few indeed play to the s3 when selected but revert to playing locally [on laptop]

ive tried bubbleupnp, and even kodi [pc] to kodi [s3] the results are pretty much the same.

is it something I'm doing or is it something within the repositories?
is there anything I can do to cast kodi to in a better way?
I should add that using widows 10, I can cast to the s3 [even to kodi on the s3] from my video library on my laptop without issue and can open kodi on the s3 and play files in the kodi laptop library on the kodi s3 - it seems that only video streams seem to be an issue snag films content seems to stream ok but its not my cup of tea
[banned addon] gives the menu option to play using - but always ends up playing on the laptop
it also seems that more of the adult repositories work for whatever reason - I found this out for pure experimental reasons you understand

totally bemused now - on the edge of giving up

I love kodi but I also love my lappy and I cant watch kodi and browse the web at the same time
Why not just connect an HDMI cable between your PC and TV, no issue there.
Legal streaming add-ons can't then cast or again.

As your using at least one banned add-on (wiki) you might want to pause and actually read the forum rules (wiki) that you agreed to when you signed up here. We have no interest or intent on offering any support for that kind of junk.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2016-08-23, 23:07)andy-the-diver Wrote: [banned addon] gives the menu option to play using - but always ends up playing on the laptop

Garbage!
Kodi is used on the device plugged into your TV via HDMI, I am not sure why people keep wanting something else.

Also I won't bin your thread this time, but I have edited your post to exclude the banned addon. Please read the rules.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-08-23, 23:16)PatK Wrote: Why not just connect an HDMI cable between your PC and TV, no issue there.
You can use a remote app like
- Kore or
- Yatse or
- Official Kodi Remote
to push content from your current phone to the Kodi instance running on the S3...
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
casting video from kodi to .......whatever!0