Android "Smart" TVs
I'm hearing about these new Android Smart TVs being sold. I guess they actually run Android complete with Google Play.
Probably astupid question, but can these run Kodi?
If they meet the requirements (wiki), yes. All official Android TV's (as defined by Google's official Android TV platform) should meet the Kodi v16 requirements. At least, they did the last time I looked. How well they perform is another matter, though.
I have seen plenty of reports of Android TVs not being able to output 5.1 channels.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
They can, via hdmi arc and ac3 transcoding.
Obviously no HD audio or 7.1, though (no "real" hdmi connection between the TV and avr)
Yes but people seem to nevertheless have problems.

My personal view is to only invest a relatively small amount in kodi players, but I usually spend quite a lot on a TV. SO I'd rather not put my money on kodi being able to perform on an android TV for the next 5 years.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Oh sure. Don't buy an overpriced android tv just for Kodi Wink

For the record, ac3 and DTS passthrough work perfectly well on my sony + Onkyo setup, but it's hit-and-miss for others, especially on the avr side with dts...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android "Smart" TVs0