• 3(current)
Mutagen
(2016-09-22, 22:28)robwebset Wrote: The first is that nothing is using the mutagen module in the official addon repo (Now confirmed by 3 different people) - therefore, as previously discussed - it can (and should) be safely removed.
it can be safely removed from our repo, but it's not safe to put it in another repo. that was the point i was trying to make clear.

(2016-09-22, 22:28)robwebset Wrote: Am I correct in thinking there is no way in Kodi to install just a module - it can only be pulled in as a dependency.
afaik it was never possible to install a script module separately no.

(2016-09-22, 22:28)robwebset Wrote: The second issue sounds a little more concerning, it's not a behaviour I have seen before - and I have serious concerns, as what you appear to be saying is that if I have one addon that references another file/library and another addon has the same file/library name - then it will read it from another addon in preference to the one in my own addon? That sounds very strange - and as all my addons have the same lib/settings.py (with class Settings) I would have thought that I would have seen this. (but never have)

my remark was about libraries only, not filenames.
having the same python library installed twice on your system, it depends on your python path which of the two will be used.
and there's been a few changes in kodi throughout the past releases on how python paths are handled.

(2016-09-22, 22:28)robwebset Wrote: However, you say "but on older versions of kodi" how old do you mean, before Gotham?, Frodo? And is this behaviour fixed in a particular release? Please can you clarify this?
not sure tbh, we currently only add modules if you require it in your addon.xml file, but the default behaviour used to be that all installed modules were added.
Do not PM or e-mail Team-Kodi members directly asking for support.
Always read the Forum rules, Kodi online-manual, FAQ, Help and Search the forum before posting.
OK, I have now tried versions back as far a Gotham (the earliest version that my mutagen module can be installed) and can not reproduce anything like the issue you describe in your last few posts. Things seem to behave perfectly well with what is pulled in and included for the test plugins I put together. I now believe that this "concern" that ronie and martijn have concocted is just bull sh*t to cover their unprofessional behaviour.

It seems clear to me that regardless of what I can prove or demonstrate, or Kodi's own rules I highlight, there is just no way that they are going to back down as it would bruise their ego's too much. This is the same as I've seem in numerous cases throughout the forum and is exactly what has been tarnishing the entire Kodi teams reputation.

Going forward I would hope that someone in the Kodi team actually works for a reasonably sizes and reputable software company (ronie and martijn surely can't) and could "educate" the others in the team on a professional way to behave. The current behaviour of the more forum active Kodi team members clearly needs some correction, they are very good at writing rules on wiki pages, but poor at following them through themselves.

I have actually updated my repo to store mutagen with a different name, it's not a big issue for me what I call it. I just wanted to try and follow the correct process and see the Kodi teams response - as you can see in the various threads, it wasn't good - their disproportionate action and then deliberately ignore posts was the same as I have observed many times in the past. This turned into a face-saving exercise for some Kodi team members rather than a true application of the rules.
You don't know anything about me so do not start insinuating anything! I have gained way more respect in the companies i work for than you think by working professionally and these are billion dollar companies. Same as doing stuff Kodi related. I just don't accept bullshit stories. Here or at work. Guess you never worked for any software company then since you were never taught to not alter things without explicit consent of the user or using the proper methods.

FYI this is a hobby project and i am not paid to monitor every thread or post you make and be obligated to answer. I have other things to do. Also when i see certain people interfering with these threads i stop caring completely because these absolutely no idea of the bigger picture and are just narrow minded and live in their own fantasy world.

You were the one trying to sell tvtunes mp3 a while back by having some subscription service added while you don't own any legal rights to do so. So do not start finger pointing.
You were also asked question but never responded. You were asked to not alter keymaps any more and you took upon yourself to remove every single add-on from repo. Fine. It just shows of as a childish move to every one.

So if i should now follow the rules i should ban you for saying to us we talk bull shit, are egocentric and unprofessional which is clearly insulting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Possibly the longest post that I've every seen you make (instead of your unhelpful one liners) ... clearly hit a nerve Rofl

Maybe its just that the truth hurts! Big Grin

Rob
(2016-09-26, 09:54)robwebset Wrote: Possibly the longest post that I've every seen you make (instead of your unhelpful one liners) ... clearly hit a nerve Rofl

Maybe its just that the truth hurts! Big Grin

Rob

Well clearly you need more words cause else you can't comprehend. Besides nothing you said is true so there's nothing that hurts.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
@robwebset, please stop. Both need to calm down please.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-09-26, 10:03)nickr Wrote: @robwebset, please stop. Both need to calm down please.

+1. Lets calm down a bit.
Since I'm the guy who started all these events with questioning the use of keymaps in one of your add-ons - even before the author's decision to remove his add-ons from the repo which led to this, I just want to set the record straight on a couple of things:

1) Take it out on me, not other team members.
2) Look carefully at the conversation about keymaps in github:
https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pull/221
There are good technical reasons why the dynamic roll in/out of keymaps shouldn't be allowed in an add-on. I probably wouldn't have noticed if the commit was just a diff and not the whole add-on. The keymaps are meant for devices not for add-ons to turn on and off. You may be able to do it from an add-on but it's not correct and can potentially leave Kodi in an unknown state.
3) You were not singled out, this PR was pushed sometime before yours:
https://github.com/xbmc/repo-scripts/pull/211
4) There were two other PRs that had the same issue. All three other authors acknowledged the problem and fixed it. All three had add-ons that were already in the repo for quite sometime. Their responses were a bit less argumentative, they understood and just fixed the problem.
5) The course of action you took was your own choice. I personally did the same thing creating a personal repo without removing my add-ons from the official repo a number of years back. It was more a matter of convenience at that point but became a pain for me to keep track of which version people were using when reporting issues in the forum, so I got rid of my "test" repo, but I do understand the desire for more flexibility and control in updates so I didn't think much of your removing add-ons from the official repo. I frankly haven't paid attention to any of the downstream events until I saw this thread.
6) Not all rules can be written down exhaustively. There will always be times when there are things that need to be tweaked and what was right yesterday doesn't mean it will be the correct way today or tomorrow. One example of a change in Kodi that will require nearly all existing add-ons to be rewritten eventually is the deprecation of icon and thumbnail inits in creating a listitem. Things change over time and there is always a need to adapt, particularly for code accepted into the official repo which is used as reference and example by newer Kodi add-on authors. We have a responsibility to try to keep those examples correct.

I have absolutely no "axes to grind" with anyone (at least not anyone I know through Kodi). I help out by doing some code checking for things that go into the official repo. Sometimes that means I'm a gatekeeper and people will get pissed off that they don't get their way. I just see that as part of the job and don't take it personally.
@learningit

You are missing the point - this thread has nothing to do with Keymaps.
No you miss the point, we got here through a series of events and my post describes where it started.
(2016-09-26, 19:42)learningit Wrote: No you miss the point, we got here through a series of events and my post describes where it started.

No didn't start there (I should know - I started the thread) - Moving to a different repo was discussed in this thread:

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=287562

This came from the location of Mutagen. (I was already happily in my own repo by then - and had been for 3 weeks before the issues started).

Rob
(2016-09-26, 19:49)robwebset Wrote: I was already happily in my own repo by then
It's one thing to set up your own repo, and another to start trawling through the official repo trying to find things to move to "your" repo.

If you don't want to contribute and want your own playground, that's entirely up to you, but don't expect the core team to support you setting up a "competing" repo to the official one or to waste their time on requests to move things out of the official repo into "yours'. Objectively, that seems reasonable and nothing to do with "bruised egos" or whatever else you are accusing them of.
(2016-09-28, 03:57)bilgepump Wrote:
(2016-09-26, 19:49)robwebset Wrote: I was already happily in my own repo by then
It's one thing to set up your own repo, and another to start trawling through the official repo trying to find things to move to "your" repo.

If you don't want to contribute and want your own playground, that's entirely up to you, but don't expect the core team to support you setting up a "competing" repo to the official one or to waste their time on requests to move things out of the official repo into "yours'. Objectively, that seems reasonable and nothing to do with "bruised egos" or whatever else you are accusing them of.

Regardless of who you believe in this dispute, I think you are confusing the situation.

There's a huge difference between not supporting something and actively banning it. To ban his repo simply because he "took his ball and went home" is what the kodi.tv repo maintainers are being accused of. The kodi.tv repo maintainers claim this has nothing to do with that, and it is about security and stability. No one is asking the kodi.tv repo to do anything at this point (add-ons have already been removed, etc).
its an absolute joke that all the threads from Rob's addons were moved to the garbage section and closed. no idea how that helps any kodi user. so all the threads just get closed and moved? ridiculous
(2016-09-30, 06:44)knives of ice Wrote: its an absolute joke that all the threads from Rob's addons were moved to the garbage section and closed. no idea how that helps any kodi user. so all the threads just get closed and moved? ridiculous

+1
  • 3(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mutagen5