Laggy 1080P files
Hi all (again)

Heres the deal:

Buffalo Linkstation > Netgear Nighthawk > Cat6 cables to > Pi3 living room OR Pi 2 Bedroom OR wireless to windows laptop. (SQL shared DB)

Everything is cool in general, all works great up to 720p - but when i want to play a 1080p file is goes ridiculously laggy on each of the Pis but works fine on the laptop (as long as its on power not battery - im guessing power save mode has something to say).

Making the assumption that it isnt the video file(s) and isn't the network configuration it leads me to believe that its either a PSU pi issue (on both) or a setting I need to change - does anyone have any advice on this?

many thanks,

David
Debug log (wiki)
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
What type of files are they MPEG-2 VC-1 h264 x265?
You may need to purchase the licence to play the first two types smoothly.
(2016-08-30, 22:20)nickr Wrote: Debug log (wiki)

http://pastebin.com/QmgAia95
(2016-08-31, 08:48)DLingard89 Wrote: http://pastebin.com/QmgAia95

That's not a debug log, nor is it a complete log - snippets miss out so much information that can be used to help you, and only serves to wind up those that are trying to help you.

Though since your file is HEVC you'll need an overlock for 1080p HEVC playback, and even then it might not be enough.

Obviously we still have no idea what distribution you are using (or which version), what your config.txt is set to, if you have the licences installed, or if you have any buffering/caching enabled because you thoughtfully cut all of that out.
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
sorry

https://paste.ee/p/VDMrH
Best suggestion is to avoid H.265 (HEVC) files. There is no hardware decode in the Pi hardware. Use the H.264 codec.

Looks like you are using raspbian, which has a relatively unoptimised version Kodi (support armv6 as well as armv7 and no NEON support).
That will have no chance of decoding 1080p HEVC.

If you really want to try to play this, then a Milhouse nightly LibreELEC build with a substantial overclock may play this file.
These builds (and the upcoming Krypton stable builds) have NEON and GPU acceleration of HEVC which means many (but not all) 1080p HEVC files can be played.
That's OSMC's Kodi, not Raspbian.
(2016-08-31, 17:14)rascas Wrote: That's OSMC's Kodi, not Raspbian.

Ah yes it is. Still it doesn't have the HEVC acceleration in.
Sorry for kinda ninjaing the topic, but:

Is this a general issue for a Pi? And is is also present in the latest version?
I was looking for soli info on this (and guess others are too) but realyl couldn't find anything solid about the Pis compatability with h.256
Pi does not have hardware acceleration for h.265. Full stop.

It obviously may play some h.265, depending on such things as

* which version of the pi (3 is faster than 2 is faster than 1 cpu wise)
* bitrate and encoding parameters of stream (h.265 covers a lot of options)
* encoder used (the open source one will take a while to be very good, same as for x264)

If you want to use a pi I suggest you stick to the supported hardware codecs, ie mpeg2, vc-1 and h.264.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Laggy 1080P files0