Nvidia shield or Minix neo U1? Techies :)
Ahh im stuck on these two at the moment i just want a real good one so i can use KODI mostly and ive got on a bit now so im not much of a gamer anymore i used to be though but i kinda grew out of it.Im more into movies now.

I currently have the Minix neo x8h which i do like but from what i can see from the Minix neo u1 there is not that much difference between the specs the stuff under the hood compared to the Minix neo x8h.This Nvidia sheild though sounds the business but like i said im not really a gamer anymore.

Or am i just fine with what i have already as i cant fault it really but i know you always have to keep up to date with these things.But i just dont want to make the mistake of buying the wrong smart tv box as it took a while to narrow it down to the Minix neo x8h a few years ago.Im a techie but im not a hardcore techie so true techies lets av yeah. Smile
Kodi Mostly = superior LibreELEC Kodi = Any number of devices:

1080p with a bit of Software decoded HEVC = Intel Chromebox
Want more grunt = an "i" series NUC
10bit HEVC video playback with HDMI 2.0 = numerous S905 devices
DRM Android paid for streaming Apps = Shield, FireTV2, WeTek devices

The question is too broad, you need to list what Audio / Video content you wish to consume and any possible DRM Android Apps etc...

I have had the Minix X8-H Plus, now I have the HiMedia Q10 Pro!
Problem of the Minix was the lack of support, not possible to upgrade the Android version.
Now I'm more then happy with my Q10 Pro.
Kodi Mediaplayer; Sony KD-55A89 4K Android TV
(2016-09-01, 16:02)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi Mostly = superior LibreELEC Kodi = Any number of devices:

The question is too broad, you need to list what Audio / Video content you wish to consume and any possible DRM Android Apps etc...

Now thats some techy talk Smile when i make sense of it all ill get back to yeah but its cool cheers.Yeah man theres so many boxes to choose from it can drive you round the bend picking one.
(2016-09-01, 16:29)HereIsTom Wrote: I have had the Minix X8-H Plus, now I have the HiMedia Q10 Pro!
Problem of the Minix was the lack of support, not possible to upgrade the Android version.

Ok mate ill look into that cheers
(2016-09-01, 16:29)HereIsTom Wrote: I have had the Minix X8-H Plus, now I have the HiMedia Q10 Pro!

Hey that box looks pretty cool with usb3 and that smart touch where you can stick a 3.5 HDD in it cool.But saying that i would use it with my external 4TB Mybook i also have a Qnap TS 269 Pro NAS i was using that in the cupboard via ethernet to my router where my main phone line is as i cant move my router out of there.Then i was streaming if over wifi to my minix box but started to have problems where the movie kept stopping.So now i use the Qnap NAS for backups and i have my western digital Mybook connected to my Minix box via usb 2.Seems to be going well so far fingers crossed Smile.
(2016-09-01, 16:02)wrxtasy Wrote: Kodi Mostly = superior LibreELEC Kodi = Any number of devices:

Ok TV i have is a samsung 48-inch Widescreen 1080p Full HD Quad Core Wi-Fi Smart 3D LED TV Model (UE48H6400AKXXU),Samsung HWH750 - 4.1ch Soundbar with Wireless Active Subwoofer.But i hardly use the sound bar instead i use my sennheiser RS175 wireless headphones with my tv.

Movies yeah i like HD Movies but dont mind watching the odd SD movie.Ive jus ordered (Devolo 9392 dLAN 1200+ WIFI Starter Kit kit) im gonna hook my smart TV Box up via gigabyte Ethernet.Should b fun Smile

Ive been checking out this Himedia Q10 Pro and it does sound very good ive found it on amazon for £159 and ebay for £141.30.Could i get that any cheaper elsewhere i need to know its genuine as both these sources are not direct from Himedia.Im in the UK
(2016-09-01, 16:47)Theone5800 Wrote:

Now thats some techy talk Smile when i make sense of it all ill get back to yeah but its cool cheers.Yeah man theres so many boxes to choose from it can drive you round the bend picking one.

+1
No worries mate +1 it is for both of yeah i just found out how to do it im learning as i go on here.
I dont know that Nvidia shield looks great and its got a good write up but also this Himedia Q10 Pro also good spec but nearly the same price as the Nvidia shield.I know im not much of a gamer anymore but something has be drawn to the Nvidia shield.

Amazon looks like the only decent one as the sellers on ebay have far to many negative feedbacks so thats like £160 compared to the nvidia at £200 for the 16gb one.
Get Nvidia Shield TV

Once a gamer, always a gamer
Unless you need full resolution 1080p 3D video playback the Shield is much easier to use running Android TV OS than the Q10 Pro. The Android Apps on the Shield are a LOT more remote control friendly than the regular Android Lollipop ones running on the Q10.
You will not want to stuff about with regular Android Apps once you have used Android TV OS ones, they are a hell of a lot easier to use on a big screen TV. No more painful Air Mouse navigation needed with the Shield, its like a breath of fresh Air.

The Q10 Pro also does not have the required DRM, which is needed for protected 1080p video streaming like Netflix, Hulu, VUDU etc or SkyGo in the UK. The Shield has all the required DRM keys and approvals.

Personally if you only using Kodi, a box running LibreELEC Kodi is a much better idea. It's an appliance like box then, boots straight into Kodi with minimal setup.

@Theone5800,
You have fallen into the Newbie trap of just looking at tech specs and reading paid for Amazon reviews which can be full of BS.

well guys you wont beleave this but i just got myself an Nvidia shield 16GB for wait for it ......wait for it ...... £110 delivered haha.No joke but it hasnt arived yet so it still could all fall through.?

(2016-09-01, 21:25)Jeffers24 Wrote:
(2016-09-01, 16:47)Theone5800 Wrote:

+1

(2016-09-02, 03:47)wrxtasy Wrote: Unless you need full resolution 1080p 3D video playback the Shield is much easier to use running Android TV OS than the Q10 Pro. The Android Apps on the Shield are a LOT more remote control friendly than the regular Android Lollipop ones running on the Q10.
You will not want to stuff about with regular Android Apps once you have used Android TV OS ones, they are a hell of a lot easier to use on a big screen TV. No more painful Air Mouse navigation needed with the Shield, its like a breath of fresh Air.

The Q10 Pro also does not have the required DRM, which is needed for protected 1080p video streaming like Netflix, Hulu, VUDU etc or SkyGo in the UK. The Shield has all the required DRM keys and approvals.

Personally if you only using Kodi, a box running LibreELEC Kodi is a much better idea. It's an appliance like box then, boots straight into Kodi with minimal setup.

@Theone5800,
You have fallen into the Newbie trap of just looking at tech specs and reading paid for Amazon reviews which can be full of BS.

Cool bruv thanks for the information it all helps and its not just amazon i rely on concerning feedback as you said its more than likely BS as you can notice this when you read them.I check all over the place different sources plus it looks pretty dam good too.You got another +1 Smile

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nvidia shield or Minix neo U1? Techies :)0