Metadata no longer displayed in file browser if show is not in library?
I have been having this issue for quite some time and have been waiting for somebody else to bring it up or it to be fixed with newer versions but I still seem to be having it. I am running 15.2 and rather than using the library due to seeding issues and not being able to rename files, I have been happy with the metadata being displayed in the file browser (Videos > Files > Anime). The metadata (Posters, synopsis, etc) have always been displayed for me within this view when looking at all the anime folders whether they are in my library or not. However when installing any newer Kodi version (tried multiple times with 16.1) the data is not displayed from the file browser at all, despite viewing the tv show information all being there when i right click > tv show information.

This is easily recreated for me by installing Kodi on a new computer, adding the source to my NAS, using the anidb mod to scrape, and then looking at the different folders (I have each show in a different folder) and seeing blank metadata areas. I'd really prefer not using the library because I have been using this method for years and its as simple as adding a folder and scanning for content and it's good to go; in addition, I seed my anime so renaming all of the episodes and folders would cause a lot of trouble. I am not really too concerned with the metadata of the episodes, i just like it visually organized when I am selecting something to watch. I have also tried making it so that empty folders are still viewed and tried several other things over the last several months to no avail. Any help is much appreciated, if you need any screenshots or information feel free to let me know but the scrapers are working fine, Kodi just does not want to display it on the file browser on both computers (one that has 15.2 installed and a fresh install of Kodi).
Johnny Apple Seed aside, I trust this is not a reference to skins.
Quote:renaming all of the episodes and folders would cause a lot of trouble. I am not really too concerned with the metadata of the episodes,
And there's the issue.
Hey PatK,

Thanks for taking the time to respond! I guess I am confused by your response though, was there something changed in 16.1 that made it so that without any episode metadata the banners and things for the show aren't shown? Sorry for the crappy quality but I took two videos, one with how it was on 15.2 and one with how it is now on 16.1, I was hoping there was a new setting or something implemented in the newest update that would make it look like this?

Before video of 15.2: https://youtu.be/zGt_C847puI

After video of 16.1: https://youtu.be/Mtf7naXsGrU

Thanks for taking the time, I really appreciate it.
Sorry I should elaborate a tad on the crappy looking titles. I have a tvshow.nfo in each anime folder that points to the anidb link so that it knows what show to scrape to display the folder infomation; that is what has allowed me to get by for so long without renaming all the folders. And i have never renamed the episodes because I just liked the shows / folders to look good and the episdoe information looks good enough (IMO) when they aren't scraped.

I originally thought it was an issue with the anidb scraper... even on a fresh install of kodi (deleted userdata/roaming and program files after uninstall) and re-scraping with either of the anidb scrapers (the old and the new mod), the same result occurs (when right clicking and going to tv information it looks as through it is scraped but no information shows). I have tried resolving the issue on 3 different computers and copying over my anime folders to different computers and am at a complete loss as to what the issue could be. And i like the folder to be scraped but not the individual episodes because i continue to seed them and i don't think renaming is really an option and couldn't find an alternative. Just was upsetting that the folders were displaying like they were in 15.2 for years now with no issues and this version appears to have changed something.

According to logs, and from what i can tell (the information, posters, synopsis etc) the scraper is working and downloading things properly but maybe kodi is confused about the information that was scraped? Could any changes in 16.1 have changed how it knows what to display for folders that use a tvshow.nfo file for the scraper to function?
Just stick with 15.2 if it does what you want it to. No point in upgrading to gain a particular feature if you lose one you need.

Oh, if renaming is an issue for you (but is likely causing your problem) the you might like to look into symlinks (and yes, Windows has supported symlinks since XP) Smile
Learning Linux the hard way !!
I do note that the 15.2 video shows nice clean titles, that any scraper would see, while the 16.1 video the titles look like dog scratch... and without manually titling them or a regedit in your advancedsettings.xml, most of the scrapers I'm familiar with would choke. In older versions of XBMC and Jarvis the pictured 'context menu' with the TV show information option is not available unless you have scraped.

The view between the two videos is not the same:

in 15.2 you are looking at TV show folders, and rolling over these titles elicites the TV show meta-data, fanart etc.
in 16.1 you are looking at the dog house of episodes, and it's miraculaious there is episode met-data (manually?) through 'information'

So it's likely you have scraped the episode, but the show folder is missing along with that view of meta-data on a rollover, but the episode information still shows up.... Your Kodi 15.2 has been scraped, and all the episode information is there... and works as it should. Your 16.2 is not.. your hierarchy of TVshows seems to be a flat folder, and episodes poured in to the same level. Naming video files/TV shows (wiki) consequentially you don't get the nice TV Show rollover with meta-data. All Kodi's work this way....

And that's the issue. TheRenamer (wiki)
(2016-09-20, 06:34)black_eagle Wrote: Just stick with 15.2 if it does what you want it to. No point in upgrading to gain a particular feature if you lose one you need.

Oh, if renaming is an issue for you (but is likely causing your problem) the you might like to look into symlinks (and yes, Windows has supported symlinks since XP) Smile

Yeah, I think that I am going to have to stick with 15.2, was just hoping that it was something small implemented in the update that was an easy fix. I have tried messing with symlinks and a few other tools but I may have to give symlinks a more serious go in order to that I can upgrade versions safely in the future.

Thanks for the help guys, I appreciate it.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Metadata no longer displayed in file browser if show is not in library?0