v16 Normal colors in menu, washed out playback
Hello,

I have a strange issue with Kodi 16 for Windows that I do not have on, say, Raspberry Pi 3. The TV is calibrated to the PC's normal HDMI signal, so brightness/contrast etc. are as good as it gets if not perfect. And I can verify that everything is fine when I launch Kodi - the menu looks quite normal.

When I run a video, the blacks start to look annoyingly washed out.

Windows 7
AMD Catalyst 16.2.1 Non-GCN Legacy Driver
AMD 760G (HD 3000)

What could this be? Should I be playing with AMD drivers' video tab or Kodi's playback settings?
Check this Video levels and color space (wiki) It's complicated and there are hardware variances, but you have the to tools (the display) to set it up correctly. I've assumed this is the issue, if it's not please leave detailed information with a proper debug log.

FTW: Setting proper video levels in your video chain from Kodi --> GPU --> TV is paramount to getting the best possible picture quality but the hows and whys are often a mystery. This tutorial aims to demystify what actually happens when you change video level settings. After reading this tutorial you should not only have a good understanding of what video level settings are best for your application but more importantly the why behind it.
OH! I now know what is going on!

Quote:Limited, Full, Limited -- Best option for embedded video player as there is zero video content scaling during the Y'CbCr --> RGB color space transformation. BtB & WtW are preserved to make calibration easier. If using a Desktop it will look overly dark

This is my problem, I think I did this, but TV is calibrated for desktop not playback. However, if I calibrate for playback the Kodi menus look terribly dark!

I'll try to go for this tonight:

Quote:Full,Full,Full -- Both Desktop & Video Content will look correct but video content is also scaled during the Y'CbCr --> RGB color space transformation. BtB & WtW are clipped so calibration will be more difficult

I think I can avoid tye YPbPr->RGB transformation by setting it to Full YPbPr from the AMD driver..

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Normal colors in menu, washed out playback0