Linux DVD playback failing with Kodi 17 beta 2
Star 
Just wondering if others are also experiencing issues with dvd playback in kodi krypton beta 2 on unbuntu 16.04.
I know this was working fine with Jarvis on Ubuntu 14.04. but since I upgraded Ubuntu to 16.04 and kodi to Krypton beta 2 dvd playback seems to be broken. Actually, I don't know when this started.

Symptom is when I insert a dvd, kodi recognizes the disk and gives me the play dvd option in the main menu (still using confluence skin). When I klick play dvd, kodi restarts, not playing the disk. Kodi doesn't seem to crash, just stops and restarts as I couldn't locate a kodi crashlog in my kodi home folder.

I googled a bit and found that many users reported issues playing back dvds after upgrading from Ubunto 14.04. to 16.04. Hence I completely reinstalled HandBrake and MakeMKV and followed the updated advices for Ubuntu 16.04. - to no avail.
Even with HandBrake and MakeMKV completely removed from my system and starting with an empty .kodi folder I am still seeing the same issue.

I insepected syslog/kodi.log and journalctl but couldn't detect any hints why it is failing.

Finally, I installed vlc and with "vlc /dev/sr0" the dvd playback works fine outside kodi.

Is this a feature that is still being worked on in beta 2 and maybe I just need to wait?
What can I do to help troubleshooting this issue?
yes, this is a bug introduced by switching our builds to the new cmake build system. We're looking into it.
Thanks, wsnipex.

I was assuming this was due to issues introduced by the Ubuntu upgrade. Now that I now it is kodi internal and being looked after I will relax and wait for the next release which hopefully will bring back dvd playback support.
this is fix in the nightly builds

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVD playback failing with Kodi 17 beta 20