Professionals or kids having tantrums!
@Nate - thanks for the promise of an update. Let's see what transpires after the team has had the chance to clarify what's been discussed - and, of course, what rocks that inevitably elicits, justified or not ;-)
@Nate I think people are upset because they (and Rob apparently) are in the dark about what exactly he did wrong. I'm more than sure that Rob's intentions were only good (certainly in the beginning) and that it only became fractious when it appeared (certainly to outside eyes) that the team were not following their own rules.

I'm sure that you know much more about what is/has happened than the majority of us here, but people can only judge on the basis of what they read, and, a statement in the future not withstanding, very little has come from the dev team.

I, as a user, and member here, am used to feedback (both good and bad) from various team members at various times and overall the team does a good job of keeping it's userbase informed of what is happening, the development direction of Kodi, the reasoning behind things etc etc.

Unfortunately, in this case, this doesn't seem to have happened and support threads (and this is how it appears to me, at any rate) have been removed without a valid reason.

I hope that your forthcoming statement sheds some light on why this unfortunate episode evolved the way that it did and that it clarifies the teams position in case of future conflicts with other add-on writers.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2016-10-03, 19:22)Kib Wrote: There will be an official statement soon.

Thanks Kib,
They're not saying anything yet because they're trying to craft a statement that will ban robwebset's add-ons while not banning other add-ons that do the same thing (if not "worse"/"more dangerous").

Let's see how they have to twist the new rule so it doesn't hurt the very popular PlexKodiConnect, or one of a dozen others that actually do access core files.

Heck, the add-on request sub forum was created after I asked for it, so I could request an add-on that loaded keymaps. No one ever said anything, because these are not "core files" and it is not dangerous to allow an add-on to add or remove keymap files. Certain people were annoyed with what rob did with his add-ons (it had been a long time coming, it seems), and decided that grasping for straws might work to get their way. At worst, you have a situation that might be confusing to the user, which is something that can be addressed without banning an add-on's ability to load new keymap files.

Even if robwebset removed that ability from his add-ons, the goalposts would just be moved again, and they would have another demand for him to meet.

I am saddened to see how many other Team Kodi members either believe this nonsense, or are going along with it for the sake of avoiding an internal argument. Letting bad actors continue to do these things is bad for the project, and bad for the community.
Thx for your explanation @NedScott - makes sense...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
My hope for a thread free of angry people replying to other angry people ended so quickly. Sigh.

Closed. Will re-open probably tomorrow.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Professionals or kids having tantrums!2