v17 [Solved] xml files from Kodi 16 not used
I copied my advancedsettings.xml, mediasources.xml, password.xml and sources.xml out of .kodi/userdata, and removed Kodi 16.
Then added the unstable repository, and installed Kodi 17.

I then started Kodi 17, and exited. Then I copied back the xml files.
But for some reason only the mediasources.xml is read. I can select my NAS location to add sources.
The advancedsettings.xml isn't read, since it creates a local database, instead of the using my MariaDB (MySQL) database and none of my sources are added.

Maybe I missed some information, but I can't find it here on the forums or in the announcements.
Are certain things done differently for Kodi 17?

Running Ubuntu Server 16.04.01 LTS, fully updated, on a Intel NUC.

Any help is very appreciated.

PS: I hope I picked the correct forum...
I haven't played with 17, but I don't think locations have changed or anything like that. Permissions?

Your log file will tell you if advancedsettings.xml is being read or not, and a debug log file may tell you *why* it's not being read (or processed completely) if that's the problem.
Have to check the log and permissions, but I doubt the latter was changed.

Thanks, I'll investigate further.
It was the permissions :-)

Because it's Ubuntu Server I need to use sudo to cp the files.
Apparently that also changes the permissions to root.

It migrated the database, so now I can set the movies window the way I want.

Thanks!
Yes, a straight cp won't keep ownership, at least, because it would be a security hole (imagine copying a root-owned executable over to a new system, and you have an immediate back door). If you use the -p or -a flags then you'll keep ownership and permissions intact, but you need to be root to do that.
Yeah, that makes sense. But it was on the same disk, same home dir even. Except using sudo to do the actual copying.

Anyway, something to keep in mind for next time.

Now to figure out why the hell it only shows movie posters on the four movies that were imported when using the local database.
All other movies aren't showing their poster...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[Solved] xml files from Kodi 16 not used0