How does Kodi use Samba share?
Hello,

This might be a dumb question. I used Kodi on the pi2, and in there, I just enabled samba share, and from my other machine, with Linux Mint 17.3, I could just open the shared folder and browse in it.

Now I built myself a small server, which also runs kodi. I want to create the same samba sharing (altough outside of kodi), and it just does not work. No matter what I try, I always get a permission denied error. So my question would be, how does Kodi configure Samba (on the pi)? Is it possible to just copy this configuration file to a Mint 18 samba installation?

thx.
Kodi doesn't have an Samba server itself. You were probably seeing a feature from OpenELEC/LibreELEC or OSMC, which has settings controlled from the Kodi interface.

As for how to easily set it up, I honestly have no idea. When ever I've tried it from scratch on Ubuntu or Arch, it was a PITA. Eventually it worked, but I have no idea what I did to make it work. It's been a long time since I've ever had to set up Samba from scratch.
Can't you use nemo (the file manager) to share directories ?

Right click on directory, click on properties, then sharing.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
This tutorial for Mint 17 and this thread for Mint 18 might help you.

Basically on both the Linux server and the Pi, once the Samba server is installed and running, the settings are done using the smb.conf file which is normally found in /etc/samba . There will be a default template file there, which you can copy and set up exactly as you want. The conf file has a lot of notes and comments in it which should be enough to guide you through.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Open the terminal and run this...

Code:
sudo apt-get install gadmin-samba

It will install the GUI Samba admin tool and all the dependencies to run samba. Open the tool and it is fairly self explanatory after that.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How does Kodi use Samba share?0