v16 How to jointly start up KODI plus TV?
Question 
Hi,
I have a question concerning my TV_RPI3 configuration. I run OSMC/Kodi16 on my RPI, connected with HDMI
My TV and my RPI are connected to electricity with a switch I simply can turn on in order to start up.
However doing so will result in the TV not recognising the RPI. Plugging the HDMI out and in again does not help.
What helps is to turn off the RPI (i.e. disrupting the electricity), turning it on again. Then - and only then - will the TV recognise Kodi as a source.
I would like to have a start up process straight to KODI or at least to KODI being recognised.
Thank you!
RPI 3 with OSMC Aeon Nox and KODI 17.5
Remember that if you choose Shutdown from the Kodi menu on an RPi, you need to either plug out the power and put it back in again or cycle the switch on the wall - it's the way the RPi is built.

for what it's worth, I leave my two RPi3's on 24/7 - they're so low power that it's a nominal electricity cost.

I just turn on my TV with the remote and off I go! Smile
4x R-Pi4b LibreELEC v10 | Aeon Nox: SiLVO | Flirc cases
Storage Synology DS411 | 4 x WD RED 6TB
Software MariaDB 10.4.19 | Filebot | Ember Media Manager
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
(2016-11-13, 21:39)zerocool_ie Wrote: Remember that if you choose Shutdown from the Kodi menu on an RPi, you need to either plug out the power and put it back in again or cycle the switch on the wall - it's the way the RPi is built.
Well that is what I am doing when switching off. This is why I don't understand it.
(2016-11-13, 21:39)zerocool_ie Wrote: for what it's worth, I leave my two RPi3's on 24/7 - they're so low power that it's a nominal electricity cost.
I wouldn't mind leaving the RPI3 on but there's just one plug with the amp and the TV set and the RPIs so this is why I turn them off...
Is there a reason to turn it all off at the wall? Use the remote to switch off the TV and amp. Leave the pi on.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-11-14, 00:23)nickr Wrote: Is there a reason to turn it all off at the wall? Use the remote to switch off the TV and amp. Leave the pi on.

Agree with Nickr, I only turn off the wall switch these days if I'm going on vacation.
Most devices made in the last 10 years have hugely reduced power consumption while in standby mode.
wiki (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | Debug_Log (wiki) | mysql (wiki) | artwork (wiki)
(2016-11-14, 00:23)nickr Wrote: Is there a reason to turn it all off at the wall? Use the remote to switch off the TV and amp. Leave the pi on.
Oh well, it's convenient to have to use only one switch and sometimes i'm using neither the TV set nor the RPI nor the amp for severeal days. So this genreral switch comes in handy...

One of these that should be available for a few quid sounds like a viable solution for you...

A lot easier than this anyway:
Adding an On Off switch to your Raspberry Pi
What you probably need to do is set up a fixed RFID file so that the pi knows what video mode to start on rather than relying on the tv being on.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-11-14, 23:12)nickr Wrote: What you probably need to do is set up a fixed RFID file so that the pi knows what video mode to start on rather than relying on the tv being on.

RFID? You mean EDID?
http://kodi.wiki/view/Raspberry_Pi_FAQ#T...d_on_first
If you want to get technical
Get a z-wave Vera edge gateway box
Set up a ping monitor on your TV
Use a z-wave relay or plug socket

If the ping sensor gets a reply from the TV being on supply power to the raspberry pi

At 3am schedule a pi shutdown script with the plug powering off.

Sent from my Nexus 6
I have a ping sensor on my TV so if the lights are on, they dim down if the TV turns on. Then they ramp up if the TV is turned off

Sent from my Nexus 6
Hi,
I realized that I could use the Kore-App to switch my RPI on and off and also to restart it. Restarting it with the TV already on seems to make it possible to make it recognisable by the TV. That'll do for the time being.
In addition I discovered an app called RasPi Check which claims to connet to the RPI. However the app claims that it was unable to find the programme 'vsgencmd' on my RPI which is supposed to be in the folder '/usr/bin' or '/opt/vc/bin'.
Any idea what this is?

(2016-11-14, 23:12)nickr Wrote: What you probably need to do is set up a fixed RFID file so that the pi knows what video mode to start on rather than relying on the tv being on.

(2016-11-15, 15:29)popcornmix Wrote: RFID? You mean EDID?

This sounds reasonable. So I am supposed to follow step 2.7? Would this imply that I have to remove the sd-card and edit it by hand? Also I don't know how to 'sudo'...

(2016-11-15, 16:47)nick w Wrote: I have a ping sensor on my TV so if the lights are on, they dim down if the TV turns on. Then they ramp up if the TV is turned off

This sounds awesome but I haven't got a clue about home automation...
(2016-11-15, 15:29)popcornmix Wrote:

RFID? You mean EDID?
Yes I did mean EDID, but android autocorrect thought otherwise. Sorry for that.
(2016-11-15, 20:39)Quastenflosser Wrote: This sounds reasonable. So I am supposed to follow step 2.7? Would this imply that I have to remove the sd-card and edit it by hand? Also I don't know how to 'sudo'...

sudo isn't required on LibreELEC. It is on OSMC, and should just work. If you get an error then post it.
You can edit config.txt on a PC with an sdcard reader (it is also possible from the pi).
(2016-11-15, 23:13)popcornmix Wrote: sudo isn't required on LibreELEC. It is on OSMC, and should just work. If you get an error then post it.
You can edit config.txt on a PC with an sdcard reader (it is also possible from the pi).

So I can see under the OSMC settings -- Pi Config -- Config editor that there is the possibility to create new entries. So this is what I am supposed to do?
However there is no entry called rfidfile or so.
Shall I just set up this file?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
How to jointly start up KODI plus TV?0