Are Dual-Core/Quad-Core CPU faster at video decoding?
Question 
From what I understand, xbmc for linux, as well as its media player core are not multithreaded, correct?

If so, If I am building a box for this purpose, is it pointless to get a multicore cpu?
sorry, can this be moved to the users forum?

My apologies...
no, it will use both cpus.. i can confirm this because both cpus in my amd 6000 dual core are pretty much maxed w/1080p content. Smile
You can choose the number of threads/cores at compile time by adding -j2 to the make, is writen in the readme I think.
make -j2 uses 2 threads for compiling, has nothing to do with what xbmc handles or doesn't handle
I'm surprised to hear runstop saying he can utlize both cores fully, that's not possible on my core2duo. with that said, we are looking into sliced based decoding for ffmpeg
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I have a 6000+ AMD as well and can't use both cores to the max. Even with 1080p content that causes slowdowns, both cores are not maxxed.
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Keep in mind that while XBMC won't use dual cores today, other processes can take advantage of it.

If you want to run a ftp/smb/web server or have the computer do other things while running XBMC, the extra core will be beneficial.

I also expect that at some point in the future, the XBMC developers will start taking advantage of dual cores.

For the little extra cost, I'd pick up a dual core.
What do you mean? XBMC does use both cores!
42.7% of all statistics are made up on the spot

just to clarify my previous statements (and Tslayer's) both cores are indeed used on dualcore, but both are never fully utilized at the same time, sliced based decoding will probably help here (for videos)

Any idea when multicores will be supported in XBMC video decoding. I have a 2.6ghz core2duo and I can't play 1080p h264 material without dropping serious frames, and my cpu% never goes above 60%. We really need that second core for decoding 1080p content. Thanks.

Dustin
Use slice-based encoding for your videos and it'll use both cores. Currently that's all ffmpeg offers.

do you mean slice-based decoding or is there no such thing?
No, I mean slice based ENcoding. If it's encoded using slices, then it will be decoded in slices using threading -> multiple cores will be used.

If it's not encoded using slices then it cannot be decoded using separate threading at present.

ok thanks for clearing that up.. wasn't sure about that
dustobub Wrote:Any idea when multicores will be supported in XBMC video decoding. I have a 2.6ghz core2duo and I can't play 1080p h264 material without dropping serious frames, and my cpu% never goes above 60%. We really need that second core for decoding 1080p content. Thanks.

Dustin

What exactly are you watching that the 2.6 cannot handle? I've got a 2.6 myself and do not have issues with almost anything I throw at it. I do have some H.264 based HD-DVD stuff I've recently moved from an EVO to a MKV container that drops frames but it drops frames on my 4Ghz Vista machine too!Shocked I am currently compressing it and expect that when I'm done it'll play much more smoothly - it'll still be an H.264 based codec but X.264. That 2.6Ghz CPU should also overclock to at least 3Ghz so you might want to try that as well to see if things improve.

Hopefully when my Transformers rip is done compressing I'll finally have a way to watch it in XBMCBig Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Are Dual-Core/Quad-Core CPU faster at video decoding?0