Don't Just Complain -- DO SOMETHING!
Exclamation 
... to help keep Kodi alive. Please take the time to read this, https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-a...ling-kodi/

Cragslist is full of these a-holes. Flag, flag, flag!

Craigslist does not have paid staff to remove this crap. It takes multiple users flagging inappropriate content for it to come down.

Here is what I am doing:

1. Search my local Craigslist for the word Kodi.

2. Anything that mentions free stuff that we all know is supposed to be paid for, I do two things.

a. I click "Reply" and send the following email to the poster

This post appears to be fraudulent and to violate Team Kodi's trademark.

Please see this page for more info:

https://kodi.tv/the-piracy-box-sellers-a...ling-kodi/

I have reported you to Craigslist.

b. I then check the link that it is prohibited.

That does not automatically pull the listings down. That only happens when multiple users flag it as prohibited. Take a few minutes and flag this crap on Craigslist. Don't just complain about it.

Dear Team Kodi, please let me know if you want me to change the content of the email above.
the only logical way to stop all this nonsense is to disable the installation of 3rd party addons - this should have been done when XBMC rebranded, none of this shit I hear on the forum daily would exist.

What I'm saying is you sir, are not going to save the world. You may think you are doing something right, or even practical, but the truth is, your wasting your time ( yes that sounds bad, but it's the truth)
piratess, box sellers and bull shit trademark violation posts on the forum will remain until the day Kodi disables 3rd party addons - FACT.
@Big Aero keep it civil please.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
(2016-12-07, 21:34)Big Aero Wrote: piratess, box sellers and bull shit trademark violation posts on the forum will remain until the day Kodi disables 3rd party addons - FACT.
Banks will be robbed until the day money is abolished - FACT.
People will die on the roads until the roads are dug up - FACT.

So - ban money and dig up the roads? It's obvious, yeah?
Even if it were disabled tomorrow, someone would fork it and enable it again.

The best thing that can happen is that these addons continue to circumvent the ads on the sites that host the content they connect to which eats up the sites bandwidth for no commercial gain. When there is no profit to be made, then there will be no site.

@trogggy - They are already digging up the roads aren't they ? It appears so from the amount of roadworks I see. Wonder when my country will finally be finished !
Learning Linux the hard way !!
At least banks have security and what not which deters robbers to a certain extent.

Roads don't kill people, car and bike accidents do. And if you didn't know, car manufactures are constantly trying to make vehicles safer - as are road workers.

Team XBMC isn't doing anything to prevent pirates exploiting their software, but yet dummies get spat all over the forum every day.... wah wah wah everybody cry the foundation a river. Let's all make drama on the forum about how pirates are ruining Kodi's name. Tell you what DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT TEAM XBMCHuhHuh

What is exactly the reason why Kodi won't disable 3rd party addons? I mean XBMC was designed to play local media after-all. Bringing internet streaming into the equation is just asking for trouble. Who is to blame?

My guess is XBMC foundation is afraid of losing sponsors due to losing the majority of your users. Why would that matter you may ask? Everyone knows how non-profit charities work right? You only have to add up the amount of weekly donations XBMC foundation recieves. The last week there has been ~ 1000 £ $ Euros, in donations. Lets say 800 an average weekly figure, that's £$41,000 a year, and that's not to mention the thousands the foundation gets from sponsors. And all of this is spent on Kodi events and hardware? ReaalllyHuhHuh...... Course. This must be close to £100,000 tax free money a year.

You can all say what you want but that's my theory on why 3rd party addons will never be disabled from Kodi, otherwise their would have been an end to all of this a long time ago when things started to get to much.
And you are completely wrong in every way possible.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
please check our published bank details. The yearly convention is eating up almost the entire donation money each year. Is it really that hard to believe that none of us is taking any money for the work we do here? And removing ZIP-install along with third party repos has been discussed in length, we won't do it, as it is against our philosophy to give users the freedom of choice to do whatever they want to do. If we rip it out, you won't be able to install custom add-ons or tweak anything to your liking. If you want a shut down eco system, got Apple. Also, we don't care at all about any userbase. Take away half of it or more and we're still be fine with it. We will still continue working on Kodi, as we primarily do it for us, and for the fun working on it. You're free to check my bank account for any suspicious money I should have gotten according to your conspiracy theories. All you'll find is refunds for travel expenses done for Kodi, be it devcon or some exhibition. Honestly, the only ones making money from Kodi are the youtubers and preloaded box sellers. And now stay on topic.

edit: also, have you ever asked yourself why companies offer to sponsor us? It's not because they like us that much, but because they see a marketing benefit on their end. We don't need that money, we even declined the offered sponsorship of some companies. If we can't afford to bring all devs to a devcon, then there simply won't be any or we ask users for donations. Also, if it would be for the money, we'd do everything to get more users, so add whatever crap users might want just to attrackt more, we'd have ads all over the place, we'd charge money in app stores etc.. Don't believe the BS the youtubers tell you just to get more clicks and thus more money, do your own research and educate yourself
@Big Aero - again, I get it, you think nothing is happening. I assure you that a bunch of volunteers are working damned hard to do what they can. Feel free to join in.

However, you've been warned once in this thread about your tone already, and insinuating that the money is somehow being squandered, pocketed or otherwise used as an incentive is utterly unacceptable. Anything else like that, and I'll gladly ban you from these pages.

Oh, and it's all open-source, remember? Y'know, forking?
(2016-12-07, 21:34)Big Aero Wrote: piratess, box sellers and bull shit trademark violation posts on the forum will remain until the day Kodi disables 3rd party addons - FACT.

That's the thing about having principals. You're not allowed to just sacrifice them when things become inconvenient. Supporting open source and a philosophy of user freedom is harder than most people think.
Trouble is there is no way to have sanctioned add-ons but disallow unsanctioned ones. Even if that were implemented Kodi is deliberately open source and free loading of add-ons could be put back into a fork.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
The numbers are published on the wiki somewhere, but aside from a cushion I'm trying to maintain for years that aren't so great, we really do spend most of the money we make each year on travel. Years we make more money are basically just years we go to more conventions. In a twist, flying people around gets expensive. For example, we started attending CES about 2 years ago. Frankly, that's a serious expense, even with as few people as we bring.

Also, as much as I love our sponsors, they really only make up a small amount of our income, because most of them are service or hardware sponsors, where we don't get any money at all. The most important sponsors, in terms of day to day operations, have actually been with us since well before all this 3rd party repo nonsense.

With that said, I do think there's an element of truth in this. I think quite a lot of our devs, plus up and up 3rd party addon devs who are just doing this for fun, would get up and walk away if we closed off 3rd party repos/add-ons. The pirate addons are an evil, but the brain drain in terms of legit addons from such a move would arguably be a far greater evil, potentially even killing the project, at least in my opinion. We don't care about sponsors when making this decision, but we do care about the skilled developers who we don't want to lose by going draconian.
(2016-12-07, 21:31)Big Aero Wrote: the only logical way to stop all this nonsense is to disable the installation of 3rd party addons - this should have been done when XBMC rebranded, none of this shit I hear on the forum daily would exist.

What I'm saying is you sir, are not going to save the world. You may think you are doing something right, or even practical, but the truth is, your wasting your time ( yes that sounds bad, but it's the truth)

But that would be against the very ethos of open source software. Also what about the many legitimate addons that aren't in the official repos. I use a few perfectly legitimate addons that aren't in the official repos.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
any form of protection or restriction won't affect/harm the piracy industry but only regular users, that's also a reason why we won't rip out thridparty add-on support. Just look at any copy protection the media industry has added - does any of them stop pirates? No. Most of them are only a huge PITA for paying customers (won't play here and there, requires yet another firmware update to run, can't be copied over to device X you'd like to use, ...).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Don't Just Complain -- DO SOMETHING!0