Kodi used in business and commercial application s
I was reading a thread the other day and this question came to mind.... Is it legal to use kodi in a commercial atmosphere and if so what would it be used for? How would one you kodi in there there own business.
Shield TV | Windows 10 | Mariadb | Mii Box
Evolve Ecosystem Repo | TV Melodies | Madnox Holiday Mod
I've heard of Kodi being used in hotels, private yachts, and dentist offices. It can also be used as an extremely overpowered form of digital signage.
I never really thought of it that away...I guess with custom skins and Kodi at the core the skin it the limit. Btw I enjoy your show on YouTube...just figured I would let you know.
I tried to push it in our hq. Was denied. Instead we went with some ridiculously expensive signage system.
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Not sure how use in a hotel would be legal, if it is for guests to watch ripped movies. Hardly comes within 'fair use'.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2016-12-17, 23:24)nickr Wrote: Not sure how use in a hotel would be legal, if it is for guests to watch ripped movies. Hardly comes within 'fair use'.

http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=133945

I think this is the example? But they were using it to offer live TV over Kodi, nothing stored locally.
It's actually also quite possible to use Kodi to playback locally stored content legally in a hotel. All you have to do is license the movies in question. It's a pretty common pay-per-view hotel tactic.
(2016-12-18, 15:15)natethomas Wrote: It's actually also quite possible to use Kodi to playback locally stored content legally in a hotel. All you have to do is license the movies in question. It's a pretty common pay-per-view hotel tactic.

This is a topic I admittedly know little about, but wouldn't this be mostly part of a whole turn-key operation purchase, that includes infrastructure? Or is it actually possible to literally license what boils down to 'A big hard drive full of movies' that could then be played back by consumer software?
Neither. Or at least, it can be neither. I've never done this myself, so my knowledge is also quite limited, but my understanding is that you can license movies on a film by film basis for local limited viewing.
Nor do I know but I have read like with churches... If the movies is to be shown public it is a license per event I believe... I don't know if you could do unlimited usage due to royalties and what not.
You can get an 'umbrella licence' from somewhere like http://www.themplc.co.uk/ or filmbank for showing movies to the public in a private venue. It's a similar thing to a PRS licence which is the licence you need if you want to play music (in the UK).
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Also, they could just use Kodi to manage Live TV (OTA) streams, and make an add-on to do like room service/etc with it.

I've seen tons of bad 'infotainment' systems like this in hotels.
We use it for digital signage at work as the api makes life easy and I can support a huge range of hardware all over the uk.

Also some really fancy hotels I've been lucky enough to visit have an extremely old but perfectly working Xbmc with pay per view content and live tv setup fully integrated with smart lighting and curtain control.
That would be interesting to see how they got the pay per view working ...maybe could implement the way it work into other projects.
That would be an interesting use case, custom hotel builds. i'm going to hackaround on this a little bit.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi used in business and commercial application s0