Modding a Skin to Create a 4K / 2160p version
I am interested in modifying an existing 1080p skin (FTV) to create a 4K version. I have seen very little details in the forums about creating a 4K skin apart from notes that 1080p textures will be automatically scaled by Kodi (which still has a very bad texture resizing algorithm). I have also noticed that video jacket art for SPMC 16.x and Kodi 17 is rendered in high resolution (4K) when you select an "unlimited" GUI resolution.

So, to address creating a 4K resolution for textures/supporting images:

1) Can I simply create similar graphics that are 2x2 scaled and use the existing skin's 1080p layout (simply swap image files)t? My assumption is that the layout will then be scaled 2x2 and the textures will be rendered at 2160p resolution? This would be similar to a web browser that downsizes higher resolution images to fit a given layout and seems to follow the 1:1 jacket art presentation.

2) Or do I need to modify the addon.xml to reflect 2160p and multiply every xml file in the 16x9 folder so that the layout dimensions are multiplied by 2?

@Hitcher
Afaik:
I'm using the 720p Confluence folder combined with values which can be multiplied with 1.5 so i end up with correct 1:1 1080p graphics which i then supply within the actual Textures. Works for me. 1080p graphics with 1:1 mapping while using an actual 720p skin "layout".

So i assume that it will work like when you use a 1080p folder with 2160p graphics. The actual Textures just always should have twice the width and size compared to what is used in the .xml files.
⬅️⬅️ Feel free to leave a 👍 on useful posts  |  A Confluence ZEITGEIST (A modern reimagination of Confluence)  |  axbmcuser REPO (Download Link)  |  Kodi 17.7 DSPlayer x64 BETTERGUI (2020 build)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Modding a Skin to Create a 4K / 2160p version0