DVDPlayer "Preferred default language" option (for menu, audio stream, and subtitle)?
Lightbulb 
First of all, thank you guys for XBMC! It's really one of the best piece of software I've ever used.
And now... a little feature request to make it even better. Smile
Almost every DVD player allows you to choose the preferred language for menus, audio and subtitles.
With XBMC you don't have this kind of option and the DVD language settings depends on the XBMC interface language.
Are you planning to add this feature to XBMC?
suppose we could if there is interest. basing it of userinterface made sence imho. keeping settings down is generally good.
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

I guess the main cause to this is that not all XBMC language files are up-to-date and thus many people use the default "English" strings in XBMC even if their native spoken language is not English.

Thus it might be nice to have seperate "Preferred language" for XBMC GUI, DVD-Video menu, DVD-Video sound-track, and video subtitles.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
Then they should get off their lazy arses and translate it :p

Basing it off the userinterface settings seems like a reasonable solution to me - the user can always change to a different subs track if they don't like the default.

If we have to have separate entries, then I see no reason for 3 separate ones for the various video menus - surely one would suffice.

Personaly I always use English in menues for electronics (XBMC, TV, PC etc) as often terms translated makes little sense, but I still would like the subs default in Danish, so I second the request plus I would add that a prefered list of maybe 2 or 3 are in order because I have alot of region 1 movies with no Danish subs so a list for me could be:

1. Danish
2. English
3. None
ultrabrutal Wrote:Personaly I always use English in menues for electronics (XBMC, TV, PC etc) as often terms translated makes little sense
Me too. This is exactly the reason why I'm asking for this feature.
I wanted this for a long time also, it seems more like chance than anything which subtitle gets enabled by default these days

i vote for separate dvd audio/subtitle settings also
i'm also intrested into this feature!
i use xbmc in english language, but i would like to see and hear my dvd's in my native language (german). some more dvd options for this case would be very nice.
Please submit a new ticket feature request on trac http://trac.xbmc.org
Funny i was just thinking about this a couple days ago. I have a ton of dual track anime and I wish I could default it to play the English audio track but since the Japanese track is first it always starts with that one. Hmmm.

@thonton
We are in a freeze right now until after Atlantis but I see this happening after that. We had quite a few devs interested in the feature. I will make a feature request on trac. Cheers.

Edit: Feature Request
thanks for doing that Rand Al Thor.
uhm... http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4437

pike Wrote:uhm... http://trac.xbmc.org/ticket/4437

I was referring more to audio language/track than anything Wink
Ticket #4853 is closed, but subtitle/audio language autoselection was incorporated in ticket #4437... However, closed ticket was set for milestone 9.04, and open ticket is set milestone in future.

Is interest for this among devs low, or are you guys busy, this time, with making 9.04 see the light? Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
DVDPlayer "Preferred default language" option (for menu, audio stream, and subtitle)?1