Android Cannot Access SMB
Hi, folks. Pretty newb to the whole networking of Kodi thang, but a bud helped me set-up stuff so I could route my external HDs through my desktop (Win 7), and access them via my android devices, but everything went to poot last eve. I've two android boxes and one tablet, and now none of them will connect to said PC. They all seem to see it fine, but can't access anything from it. It's all set to non-password, read-write ok, and it was working grand until just yesterday. Just wondering if anyone else has encountered this. Cheers.

Edit: I've likely left out somethings that might help anyone help me with this, so just remind me if you can.
Yes I have. Just look over the Android help forum you'll see many posts about smb not working..funny thing is it does work on some devices so it's going to be a tuff one for the kodi team to figure out. But it did work great on Jarvis so maybe they need to review and compare some code?
First, what version of Kodi do you have installed?

Second, without a Debug log (wiki) it's going to be hard for anyone to determine what's wrong.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
My apologies for not mentioning what I was running on the android devices, but both Kodi 16.1 and SPMC 16.5.5 on all devices. Neither would connect on any device, but my IT guy chimed in eventually and had me try this, and everything is working fine. At least for now. Har!

Meant to come back and post this last night but sleep caught the best of me first. Thanks for responding, folks.

http://ecross.mvps.org/howto/enable-netb...indows.htm
All any log has shown, and I'm a long way from being able to read one, but all I saw was the same thing presented in Kodi when I tried to access WORKGROUP via SMB, Connection Timed Out.

Kodi 17 RC3
NAS = MyBookLive (WD Smile )
Samsung S10.5 T800 Tablet Android V6.0.1 Build MMB29K.T800XXU1CPH7

If you want a debug log, sure you do!, I'll install Kodi on it again and get it for you.

And now....the DEBUG on a fresh install Wink
That's common issue with SMB, I had the same issue before and had to fix it on my network side, can't remember what I had to do though. You should be able to manually add the share, just add it as

smb://MyBookLive/your_share_folder or smb://ip_address/your_share_folder

I can't remember if the MyBook NASs include it, since mines boxed up, ( or they removed it like they did with MyCloud NASs), but if you can I would suggest using NFS over SMB.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Yes the second fix works for all Android devices:

(2017-01-17, 06:13)wrxtasy Wrote: On all Android devices I have I could never connect to SMB (SAMBA) shares on my iMac, UNTIL I started using Kodi Krypton RC. There seems to have been a fix introduced that now allows me to connect properly.

The workaround was to Add Network location and type in the IP Address of the SAMBA server. Hit OK and then reselect the smb://smb.ip.server.address from the resulting menu.

All good WORK AROUNDS. Yes I did end up using NFS but I still can't smb into a zbox I have sharing a movie folder. Like I say Jarvis did, Krypton don't. Seems like if it worked on one it should still work on the other since no changes have been made to my shared folders, network or nuttin' else but a Kodi update.

So I just keep using whatever will work....

Also just remembered I saw another work around involving advancedsettings.xml and path substitution?
Well, I did try it with RC4 and can say that I get a WORKGROUP connection time out, so there is probably some issue with populating the workgroup in Krypton. I know that there have been others that have reported issues with SMB.

But for your zbox, you should still be able to manually add it, that part is still working for me. Just select Videos/ Files/Add videos, then Browse, select Add network location, Protocol = SMB, Server name = ipaddress of your zbox, then Share folder = your_share_folder_name. If there's no username or password just leave blank.

Once you click Ok, then it should show up in your share path list and you can add it.
This problem comes up again and again. I first ran into it when I installed my Nvidia Shield. (Jarvis 16.1 and SMTP) Very few people seem to see the fix in the Kodi Wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows#Timeout

Please try it! It worked for me, and it's worked for everybody I've shared it with.
(2017-01-19, 18:42)pagali Wrote: This problem comes up again and again. I first ran into it when I installed my Nvidia Shield. (Jarvis 16.1 and SMTP) Very few people seem to see the fix in the Kodi Wiki: http://kodi.wiki/view/SMB/Windows#Timeout

Please try it! It worked for me, and it's worked for everybody I've shared it with.

But in my given situation there is no way to set this on NAS and that is at least a big enough problem that it should be looked into by the team.

My zbox is setup as described with advanced sharing. Still no joy. So no biggie, I'll just wait.
No one has said if they tried the fix my IT guy pointed out to me, and I'm currently streaming tunes via SMB from an external to my tablet without a hitch.

(2017-01-20, 18:07)Wanderlust Wrote: No one has said if they tried the fix my IT guy pointed out to me, and I'm currently streaming tunes via SMB from an external to my tablet without a hitch.

I just made the changes, shut down the Zotac PC, restarted it and Kodi. Then I tried accessing the folder with movies that is shared on the Zotac with my Android tablet. I still get the Time out when I try to use smb>Workgroup. So no joy for me...
There is a test version of SPMC 16.6.0 available that allows easy addition of SMB Shares when using Android (Hint - use Zeroconf)

So I am getting connection timeout error trying to connect to my FreeNAS smb shares. I have 2 Shield. One first gen 16gb and 2rd Gen Pro. But current on updates etc. Shields pretty much same and running Kodi from Google store.

The first gen connects no issues. Sees my workgroup and shares inside. 2rd sees workgroup but try clicking gets connection timeout error. I am kinda lost here. Anyone have ideas? Nvidia support was clueless.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android Cannot Access SMB0