Android Write permissions to External HDD (Sony KD55XD8005)
Hey guys not sure if correct place to ask but here goes

I got an Android TV have Kodi 17 RC3 installed and all my media is on a 3TB hdd, I've setup a SMB location on kodi from my PC's Download folder (Windows 10). But when i try to copy video files from my PC to the external hdd using the File manager on Kodi i get error about write permissions not set on external hdd

I've tried copying the files using ES file manager on the TV but can't find a way to enable write on the eHDD, only getting read.. I know it's not an KODI issue but thought this place be the best spot to ask theses sorts of questions as am sure I ain't the only one trying to work this out.

Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Sony KD55XD8005 (Android 6.0.1)
That's because of Android write permission limitations.

If you are using Kodis file manager, then you can only write to /your_drive /Android/data/org.xmbc.kodi/

You can not write to the root of your drive or any other folder because the only way to do so is for an app to ask for permission, something Kodi does not do.

If you want full access to your attached drives, try Total Commander.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-01-19, 19:45)Tinwarble Wrote: That's because of Android write permission limitations.

If you are using Kodis file manager, then you can only write to /your_drive /Android/data/org.xmbc.kodi/

You can not write to the root of your drive or any other folder because the only way to do so is for an app to ask for permission, something Kodi does not do.

If you want full access to your attached drives, try Total Commander.
that's just not true. Using Kodis file manager I can write anywhere to USB disks plugged in my TV or disks pluged in my fritzbox that I use as NAS. I can add folders from external storage of the TV (SD card, the partition where I can write with any other file manager also) and write there. Also, when downloading subtitles I can store them next to the video file which wouldn't be possible without writing permissions.
I don't know if MM changed something but Kodis file manager has all the permissions as ES file explorer. Not as feature full and user friendly but it can do all the basic stuff when it comes to files/folders management.
(2017-01-19, 20:27)kinggo Wrote: that's just not true. Using Kodis file manager I can write anywhere to USB disks plugged in my TV or disks pluged in my fritzbox that I use as NAS. I can add folders from external storage of the TV (SD card, the partition where I can write with any other file manager also) and write there. Also, when downloading subtitles I can store them next to the video file which wouldn't be possible without writing permissions.
I don't know if MM changed something but Kodis file manager has all the permissions as ES file explorer. Not as feature full and user friendly but it can do all the basic stuff when it comes to files/folders management.

And that's not how it works with Android TV (which is Android 5.x +), with the storage API permissions you can not write to external storage unless it the apps folder or the app asks for permission first.

That may not be how it works on your on you "fritzbox", which may or may not have hacks to work around the permissions issues. But at least with Android 5.x and up the standard API does not let you write to the root of external storage, only to the apps folder.

EDIT: It's also why you CAN write to the root of external storage with Total Commander, because it does ask for permission.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
great.......... so I should stay with lollipop then. Do you plan to add that permission thingy to KODI at some point?
Not me, not every Team member is a developer. And I don't believe that it will be since the permission takes you out of Kodi.
yes, but only once. Once you grant it than its done.
And I didn't mean you, I ment "you" as a team.
The Android storage API is basically unapplicable for a cross-platform app as Kodi. I don't see that happen, ever, unless it is made less stringent.

Use /your_drive /Android/data/org.xmbc.kodi/ for local RW or use a NAS.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Write permissions to External HDD (Sony KD55XD8005)0