Win What is the best resolution to run at?
I'm somewhat confused as to what I should have my resolution set at, I've seen a lot of information and I don't quite understand it all. My specs are:

Kodi 17.0-RC3
Win10 Pro x64
Pentium G4560 x64 (Kaby lake)
8GB DDR4 2400MHz (2x4GB sticks)
4k TV
Using HDMI 1.4

Currently, I have windows set to 1080p (60hz) and kodi gui set to 1080p. The reason I did this was because I read that if I set Windows to 4k, when I want to watch 1080 live content and what not, because I'm on hdmi 1.4 I would only manage 24fps. If I have it on 1080p, then I can still get the full frame rate for live TV and kodi will naturally allow 4k content to play at its native resolution. Is that correct? The TV does a great job at upscaling stuff to 4k so I'd like to allow, if possible, the TV to do all the work. Could someone help me with the optimal settings for this? Many thanks.
Kodi always works best at the resolution you keep your desktop, although some skins are 720p it's not a chore for most video systems to upscale. While content is another matter, pushing 4K through a tight pipe isn't going to cut it, best handled as 1080p and let your TV display handle the upscale, it's built in and should be a treat.

kodi will naturally allow 4k content to play at its native resolution. Is that correct?. Best suggestion (as I don't own one of these beauties yet) to grab some 4K test samples and play them, then report back what your eyes have seen. Other than the HDMI limitation 4K should pass well on that hardware.
I find its best to have kodi as 1080p with a 4k TV, this way it will play 1080p content @1080p and 2160p content @2160p, let the TV do the 1080p upscale.

if you have it set to 2160p it will do all the upscaling duties.

I also find setting it to 2160p a bit buggy, it will often break and play all files massively zoomed, the only way to fix this is to drop back to 1080p.
(2017-01-24, 00:38)PatK Wrote: Kodi always works best at the resolution you keep your desktop, although some skins are 720p it's not a chore for most video systems to upscale. While content is another matter, pushing 4K through a tight pipe isn't going to cut it, best handled as 1080p and let your TV display handle the upscale, it's built in and should be a treat.

kodi will naturally allow 4k content to play at its native resolution. Is that correct?. Best suggestion (as I don't own one of these beauties yet) to grab some 4K test samples and play them, then report back what your eyes have seen. Other than the HDMI limitation 4K should pass well on that hardware.

Thanks, I'll try this when I'm able. Intel, in all their wisdom, decided not have drivers ready for some of their Kaby lake CPUs, which means 4k content isn't playable yet without maxing CPU usage.

(2017-01-24, 16:28)stoolzo Wrote: I find its best to have kodi as 1080p with a 4k TV, this way it will play 1080p content @1080p and 2160p content @2160p, let the TV do the 1080p upscale.

if you have it set to 2160p it will do all the upscaling duties.

I also find setting it to 2160p a bit buggy, it will often break and play all files massively zoomed, the only way to fix this is to drop back to 1080p.

Do you mean to have kodi GUI and windows desktop set to 1080p? If I run Kodi as fullscreen application, as opposed to fullscreen window, can I run the desktop at 4k and Kodi at 1080p?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
What is the best resolution to run at?0