Best version of windows for Kodi?
Product advertising and soliciting is against the forum rules (wiki) - please do not to it again.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
(2017-02-16, 15:26)DarrenHill Wrote: Product advertising and soliciting is against the forum rules (wiki) - please do not to it again.

Sorry was just trying to be helpful and totally forgot about that rule.
Intel NUC Skull Canyon - Windows 10 Pro - Kodi 18
VU+ Solo2 - Canal Digital/CMore Max
Samsung UE65KS9005 Pro Calibrated
(2017-02-16, 15:22)TheSwede1970 Wrote: Don't need to spend a fortune to get Windows 10. Get key from Link removed

I missed the exact link you posted but in general buying a cheap key has its risks and almost certainly violates the terms of use as those keys are often OEM keys not intended for end users.

Additionally, depending on the seller, the same key might be sold multiple times over a period of time, resulting in your install becoming invalidated.

I'm sure many people have no problems with this but it's worth noting.
(2017-02-16, 22:51)Gobberwart Wrote:
(2017-02-16, 15:22)TheSwede1970 Wrote: Don't need to spend a fortune to get Windows 10. Get key from Link removed

I missed the exact link you posted but in general buying a cheap key has its risks and almost certainly violates the terms of use as those keys are often OEM keys not intended for end users.

Additionally, depending on the seller, the same key might be sold multiple times over a period of time, resulting in your install becoming invalidated.

If everyone said windows 10 is the way to go a couple of hundred dollars invested is not an issue!
(2017-02-17, 01:07)ejv_1955 Wrote: If everyone said windows 10 is the way to go a couple of hundred dollars invested is not an issue!

Good, good so it pretty much comes down to driver support, your ability to support/manage the OS and whether you *need* windows for anything else on that pc (compatible software, games, hardware etc.).
(2017-02-17, 02:13)Gobberwart Wrote:
(2017-02-17, 01:07)ejv_1955 Wrote: If everyone said windows 10 is the way to go a couple of hundred dollars invested is not an issue!

Good, good so it pretty much comes down to driver support, your ability to support/manage the OS and whether you *need* windows for anything else on that pc (compatible software, games, hardware etc.).

Machine is dedicated to Kodi and digital photos. Since I built this HTPC from the mother board up it pretty much has the best of everything at the time which was around Sept 2015 and the boot drive is an SSD which substantially reduces boot time.
(2017-02-17, 01:07)ejv_1955 Wrote:
(2017-02-16, 22:51)Gobberwart Wrote:

If everyone said windows 10 is the way to go a couple of hundred dollars invested is not an issue!

Microsoft made Windows 10 available FOR FREE for the last 15+ months!!!

Seriously - if people chose not to take the option, and are now making an issue about $$, then they only have themselves to blame for pontificating with their head in a dark place. There was even ways published on the internet to quite legitimately get Windows 10 'licensed' for your PC without actually upgrading your OS so that when the time came and the free upgrade offer ended, you were still entitled to it on your PC/s.

While it might sound like a Microsoft marketing slogan, for the vast majority of people using Windows, Windows 10 *is* the best version of Windows to use for reasons already discussed above (in short; performance, security, Win10 app store Kodi). If it is someone's *preference* based on their own opinions (note: I say opinions rather than facts) to want to stay on an older version, then so be it.
Kodi 17.6 on multiple Windows 10 x64 machines with shared MySQL 5.6.43 database. Kodi 18 on Xbox One. Content (music, video, photos) stored on Windows Server 2012 R2 file server and accessed by SMB.
You can still update to windows 10 for free via Microsoft's "accessibility" upgrade path.
(2017-02-18, 02:41)AnthonyB Wrote: Microsoft made Windows 10 available FOR FREE for the last 15+ months!!!

Seriously - if people chose not to take the option, and are now making an issue about $$, then they only have themselves to blame for pontificating with their head in a dark place. There was even ways published on the internet to quite legitimately get Windows 10 'licensed' for your PC without actually upgrading your OS so that when the time came and the free upgrade offer ended, you were still entitled to it on your PC/s.

While it might sound like a Microsoft marketing slogan, for the vast majority of people using Windows, Windows 10 *is* the best version of Windows to use for reasons already discussed above (in short; performance, security, Win10 app store Kodi). If it is someone's *preference* based on their own opinions (note: I say opinions rather than facts) to want to stay on an older version, then so be it.
You're right of course, but given that the op is in the category of people who did not upgrade when it was free, it's not really applicable. Windows 10 is no longer free so the cost must be considered. Not complained about, just weighed as a factor against the cost (or lack thereof) of the alternative(s).
(2017-02-18, 03:21)teeedubb Wrote: You can still update to windows 10 for free via Microsoft's "accessibility" upgrade path.
Not entirely legit but true. It's a bit like the "Yes I am over 18" button.
Why anyone would think windows has better driver support is beyond me.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2017-02-18, 03:21)teeedubb Wrote: You can still update to windows 10 for free via Microsoft's "accessibility" upgrade path.

I've been told by my wife that I'm a bit OCD is that a handicap? Big Grin
Can anybody help please I've upgraded to Windows 10 and was using kodi version 16 without any issues. Have installed kodi 17 and now when I close my laptop lid kodi is resized to the top left hand corner of the screen. Didn't have this issue with the previous version of kodi. Any help much appreciated.
(2017-02-18, 20:54)Richard1608 Wrote: Can anybody help please I've upgraded to Windows 10 and was using kodi version 16 without any issues. Have installed kodi 17 and now when I close my laptop lid kodi is resized to the top left hand corner of the screen. Didn't have this issue with the previous version of kodi. Any help much appreciated.
That happened to me with v16 and was caused by kodi running in a "fullscreen window" rather than real fullscreen mode. Check the setting in kodi at settings > system > display > use fullscreen window. It should be unchecked.
(2017-02-18, 09:47)nickr Wrote: Why anyone would think windows has better driver support is beyond me.

Probably because they dont live in a confirmation bias bubble.

Windows 2017: plug in hardware - automatic download and installation of correct driver(s) occurs and use of the device is enabled.

Linux 2017: plug in hardware - after a brief period of nothing happening, spend hours on line looking for obscure command line arguments or buggy half-arsed open source drivers that only work with a subset of the hardware's functions. If you're lucky.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best version of windows for Kodi?2