Any Security Measures Needed?
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forums and this forum is a sea of threads that I can't navigate. SO, I'm sorry if I'm posting this in the wrong thread but am hoping someone here can help anyway. I was wondering, should I be taking some kind of security measure when using my Kodi?
If you're following the forum rules (wiki) on piracy and not using any banned add-ons (wiki) that use illegal and dodgy sources, there should be no need for security measures.

It's only when you start using the less legitimate 3rd party add-ons which use such sources that you start running risks, as recent events have shown. But if you stick to legitimate stuff from the built-in official repo or even better just use your own local legally owned media then you'll be fine.

Some of the links below may be helpful to you as well.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thread split (not relevant to original discussion) and renamed accordingly.
Search | Banned addons (wiki) | Forum rules (wiki) | First time user (wiki) | FAQs (wiki) | Troubleshooting (wiki) | Add-ons (wiki) | Free content (wiki) | Debug log (wiki)Free Content
(2017-02-14, 19:37)DarrenHill Wrote: If you're following the forum rules (wiki) on piracy and not using any banned add-ons (wiki) that use illegal and dodgy sources, there should be no need for security measures.

It's only when you start using the less legitimate 3rd party add-ons which use such sources that you start running risks, as recent events have shown. But if you stick to legitimate stuff from the built-in official repo or even better just use your own local legally owned media then you'll be fine.

Thanks for your response! So you mean an add on like a bbc iPlayer wouldn't be good? What about using a VPN service? I came across this article and thought it made sense to use one, https://securethoughts.com/how-to-hide-your-ip-address/ just because we're streaming stuff.
That article you posted is just someone selling VPN access for profit, don't believe the marketing bs you read on these sites. Would you access the BBC iPlayer on your PC without feeling the need to be behind a VPN? If so then I don't see why you would need a VPN to do basically the same thing via Kodi.
(2017-02-16, 21:37)gurlytech1 Wrote:
(2017-02-14, 19:37)DarrenHill Wrote: If you're following the forum rules (wiki) on piracy and not using any banned add-ons (wiki) that use illegal and dodgy sources, there should be no need for security measures.

Thanks for your response! So you mean an add on like a bbc iPlayer wouldn't be good? What about using a VPN service? I came across this article and thought it made sense to use one, https://securethoughts.com/how-to-hide-your-ip-address/ just because we're streaming stuff.

Read @darrenhill's comments above. Sticking to legit add-ons (BBC iPlayer is one of course) and you'll be fine. VPN is unnecessary. If you decide to use piracy apps then a VPN won't protect you from malware anyway.
Always read the Wiki, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Read/follow the forum rules.
Glad I asked! Thanks guys for all your input. I'll definitely be back if I have any more questions.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any Security Measures Needed?0