Call for a new Industry Kodi Organization
Is it possible that another way to address these issues have have been discussed might not a Industry Organization be established that is not controlled by Koki Foundation. This industry organization could begin to standardize addons, work with content owners, and even box manufactures. I am working with a group to estblish such a group, Society for the Advancement of Streaming Technology. If interested in more information please contact me. The future of streaming is in a very critical point. Let's development this group together.
Dennis Humphrey
Texas, USA
what industry? the XBMC Foundation and Team Kodi are not companies. Who is this group you are working with and what are your goals?
No group. Just me with an idea. It is true that XBMC Foundation and Team Kodi are not companies in the traditional sense. That said, you can not deny there is a streaming industry that has developed because of Kodi. There is a lot of discussions here and elsewhere about addons, box manufactures, ect. Do you want Kodi to flourish? Why not instead of trying to stop others from misusing Kodi not have Industry Organization recognizes that the streaming industry exist and attempt to influence it positively. While the XBMC Foundation and Team Kodi have done a wonderful job in development is there not room for growth? I am not against addon developers making money. Better regulation of this developing industry would support the high goals that many in the community have.
You said in your first comment that you're working with a group?
Sounds like a Trade Union for Piracy Addon writers to me. The Worshipful Addon Traders Society?
which part of the "streaming industry"? netflix? amazon? hbo?
Why not a industry organization for commercial and non-commercial development. Like or not there is a a streaming industry out there, Kodi, IPTV,Plex, and many others. The streaming world is growing daily and so are the growing governmental investigations into illegal content. An industry association could develop relationships with addon developers, box manufactures, software developers, and content creators. Why not develop commercial applications and embrace the free market? I see this as a opportunity to make progress in creating a industry that will not be at odds with governmental authorities, copyright infringement, or lawsuits.
I don't actually get what your mission statement is. Good luck with whatever it is that you want to do I guess.
Well, I guess you can call drug dealing or human trafficking an "industry" too.
Kodi @ NVidia Shield Android TV, Asrock J3455-ITX (LibreELEC Server), Windows 10, and Nexus 7 (2013)
I get where he is going with this and i have recently been wondering the same, where by the kodi comunity create a subscription bassed web streaming portal. Like sky, virgin etc but you can watch from multiple content providers like spotify does with music. But the subscription or advert money goes into the pot to pay for copywrite and content providers?

Is that not a possibility? I know people would not have a problem with paying for content thats legal and great quality but so you also do not need to subscribe to 20 different companies costing them hundreds even thousands a year.

Is this not a possibility? Would it not then get rid of the pirated and illegal stuff?
Im not fully clued up on it but it makes sense to me.
Please forgive my ignorance if im wrong and any information on the subject would be greatly appreciated.
You won't get buy in from most major legit content providers unless some degree of drm is implemented. And we're already working with or in talks with most content providers who don't need drm.
So can kodi not implement DRM then?
And in regards to most industry players not going for it they where like that with the music industry and now look at spotify and you tube ect eventually something like this has to happen surely
Nate Tomas, Kodi and any media server software will eventually move from open source to market oriented media server software. Nate Thomas states that Kodi is "already working with or in talks with most content providers", that is big news. Legitimate content providers are going to want some return on investment (ROI) does that mean Kodi is going to be a for profit company. These talks that you state are in process suggests that Kodi may be changing because content providers are not going to give good content for free. Is XBMC and Kodi moving toward subscription based model? How are content providers going to get ROI?
No it certainly is not. But we have no objection, in fact welcome, add-ons that are for subscription based services. For example if Netflix were to create an official add-on, you pay Netflix the usual monthly fee and Kodi is just a watching platform like their Android app.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Call for a new Industry Kodi Organization0