v17 Crashes are all over the place
I am beyond frustrated. I've have spent most of the last three days trying everything I can to figure out how to get Kodi to work. I had little to no problems with Kodi 16, but in a touch of daring I decided to upgrade for the improvements I read so much about. Now, Kodi crashes all over the place for multiple reasons: The most common errors are reported as ntdll.dll or StackHash_0a9e, although I've also gotten avutil-55.dll, VCRUNTIME140.dll, KERNELBASE.dll, etc.

It is not even during playback that it crashes, although it has. Sometimes, just idle, Kodi will throw an exception. A lot of the times it is while browsing. Other times when switching between songs on a party list. Mostly the crashes are either looped exceptions or little blank squares that have no text. I copied many of the crash reports if they are helpful in any way...

Before I continue: I am running up to date Windows 7 sp1, [email protected], 16GB RAM, with 2 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 in SLI.

The most common errors I've seen in the logs are:
ERROR: CMusicDatabase::GetAlbumsByWhere () failed
Multiple types of JSONRPC errors, like WARNING: JSONRPC: Could not parse type "Setting.Details.SettingList"
and Out of Memory errors.

I ran SFC /scannow, rolledback my graphics driver to 378.49. No effect so reupdated to 378.66 (that is advertising Kodi 17), I used advancedsettings.xml to increase memory and readfactor, I clean installed, rolled back to 16.1 (nightmare), reinstalled clean 17.

Now, I'm finally coming for help. I hope someone can point out the really simple thing I am missing that is right there in the logs but I am too unknowledgeable to recognize.

I have an affinity for Mimic, but decided maybe it was the problem. I switched to Omni and it too worked for a bit, then problems. I decided to try others.... more problems. I'm returning to Omni for now. I hope its not a skin problem. I'm not a real big fan of Estuary, although it is better than Confluence IMO.

Most recent : http://pastebin.com/tBaSHtCN
Previous : http://pastebin.com/Ki4Wn6RJ
More Previous : http://pastebin.com/PNTAF8pD

Thank you for your time. Let me know if I can provide any more information.
Did you get these problems only after you installed extra skins?
I found that Kodi 17 is stable only as long as I refrain from installing extra skins. As long as I don't try out other skins Kodi keeps running stable but as soon as I install other skins (Titan, Aeon Nox, Amber), Kodi becomes unstable. Switching back to Estuary doesn't solve the problem then, but reverting to a backup of my profile folder (made just before adding extra skins) does.
Perhaps one of the common dependancies of these skins might be the culprit.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
You know, I was trying to recall if I had any problems before I added a skin. The first time, I installed Mimic right off, as my whole file structure depends on submenus. I had so many errors that I tried to revert to 16.1. Then, I couldn't load Mimic or my backup for missing files error. Avoiding that headache, I decided to forge on to 17 and replace Mimic. I used Estuary for a bit and I might not have gotten errors. I felt confident enough to try to load Omni, which worked for a good while. Then suddenly, errors.

I don't know why i get Out Of Memory errors or how to fix them, Everything seems to start with "WARNING: JSONRPC: Could not parse type "Setting.Details.SettingList"" then falls apart from there.

Thanks for the reply, by the way. I appreciate it. If I reinstall 17 again, do you think I need to uninstall the works? I have only deleted the userdata folder in the past. I am really getting fatigued and would love to just sit back and enjoy Kodi again!

Edit: I'm wiping it. I copied out my playlists and advanced settings. Everything else is deleted. Starting from scratch. I will refrain from running add-ons or skins and see how it goes. Must admit, I regret updating a bit.
I was in the same boat. Kodi 16.1 ran quite stable, except that sometimes it would crash on exit. Kodi 17 never seemed as stable but in the end I decided it was time to upgrade so I did. It took me several tries, sometimes upgrading from 16.1, sometimes installing fresh but with some files copied over from Kodi 16.
Ultimately I ended up starting from scratch entirely and just build it up until it would be similar to the environment I had in Kodi 16. I added all of the addons I used previously without problems but the moment I also added skins things went pearshaped. This happened on three different Kodi installations, different hardware and all builtup from scratch. The only thing common to them is the library and it is possible that there is some metadata out there that crashes some of the dependancies these skins are using. I have spent so much time testing, (re)starting from scratch, searching these forums for solutions and posting Kodi logs that I have given up for now. It cost to much of my time and energy so I decided to stick with the default skin. I might pick it up later, when some of these dependancies have been upgraded a couple of versions and more bugs have been ironed out.
I think all righthtinking people in this country are sick and tired of being told that ordinary, decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired.
Thanks for following up. So far, so good. I'm still reloading my files and will not even add-on anything until I see how it runs out of the box with my whole library. Maybe you have some experience with a few add-ons I am looking to attempt: namely, Weather Underground, Milkdrop2, Library Node Editor? My set up was never very add-on dependent. I don't even use the scrapers as everything is in my file system. I feel like the weather, an entertaining visualizer, and a well laid out library isn't too much to ask. Or at least I hope not.

I am hoping to at least get close to the functionality I had with 16.1. 17 does seem to work pretty quickly behind the scenes, ie scanning and browsing menus. I haven't had any trouble with playback yet. I do get some screen flashes, especially when scanning, playing music, and browsing the menus at the same time. I'm remaining guardedly optimistic.

Thanks again, even if you couldn't analyze my logs and see the issue, you have done a lot to help me get back on course.
I see that "WARNING" about JSONRPC in all my logs -- has no impact for me anyway. Would help if OP turns on debug logging in settings and then uploads a log with debugging when this problem occurs. If you are using skin.helper.service beta, that could be a source of problems. But need debug logging to go further.

scott s.
@scott967: Oh, man. I had that on through advanced settings at one point yesterday. They got wiped out when I clean installed, as did that version of advanced settings. After my media is scanned back in, I'll start trying to turn basic things back on. If I start getting errors again, I will update advanced settings to include debugging and post here.

You have that warning, is it followed by anything like this : http://pastebin.com/rt2GjNnm ? (I have a couple old logs saved on my desktop that I was using to compare with more recent ones.) It has that service in this log, i assume from a skin. Perhaps that is what causes the Out of Memory errors? I really wish I knew more about this stuff.

I'm beginning to suspect that my whole thread might have belonged over under Mimic or Omni... We shall see.

UPDATE: Estuary has been running stable for 12 hours or so. I have finished scanning in my media (Local info only). I have successfully added Weather Underground and edited one item on the Home Menu using the Library Node Editor Add-on. Although, neither of these actions were working. I restarted to enable Debugging from advancedsettings.xml and lo and behold, both changes were now there. So, possible Weather and Library Node editor required restart(?). I'm just happy they work.

I also enabled MilkDrop2 as my visualization. It is working fine, although I'd really like to know how to turn it off from showing in the menu backgrounds. The option does not seem to exist in Estuary.
This is a total guess, but from looking at that last log I get the feeling there is a problem with how Kodi is caching results. I don't understand anything about how/when/where Kodi caches results from SQL queries and JSON calls, other than AFAIK it gets stored in your userdata.

scott s.
Just to update this thread, for prosperity or whatever, I had no problems after a week with Estuary. I just do not like it for so many reasons. So, I installed Mimic 5. Soonafter the troubles began. I posted to the Mimic thread and braz was there to help. Long story short. Kodi was crashing, I deleted the folder script.skin.helper.service from AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons and my problems have gone away. Whatever that service is for exactly, I don't seem to use it.

So far, so good....
(2017-03-01, 18:00)Muther71 Wrote: Just to update this thread, for prosperity or whatever, I had no problems after a week with Estuary. I just do not like it for so many reasons. So, I installed Mimic 5. Soonafter the troubles began. I posted to the Mimic thread and braz was there to help. Long story short. Kodi was crashing, I deleted the folder script.skin.helper.service from AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons and my problems have gone away. Whatever that service is for exactly, I don't seem to use it.

So far, so good....

skin helper service is in "beta" status for latest/krypton release so if that's what mimic is using I wouldn't be surprised. It's also kind of heavy resource-wise if you use many of the bells and whistles to dress up your skin.

scott s.
Ah, no wonder I don't need it. I prefer to run a clean look and all my artwork files are local. I did not know it was in beta. Everything is running well now and I can see a massive change in my log files as well.... or at least I THINK I do. My older logs were full of:

09:15:40.130 T:5196 DEBUG: CMusicDatabase::GetArtistsByWhere query: SELECT artistview.* FROM artistview WHERE ((((artistview.strArtist LIKE 'Miles Davis & Quincy Jones'))) AND (EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM album_artist WHERE album_artist.idArtist = artistview.idArtist))) AND (artistview.strArtist != '')
09:15:40.150 T:5196 DEBUG: Time to retrieve artists from dataset = 21
09:15:40.642 T:5196 DEBUG: CMusicDatabase::GetSongsFullByWhere query = SELECT songview.*, songartistview.* FROM songview JOIN songartistview ON songartistview.idsong = songview.idsong WHERE (EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM song_artist WHERE song_artist.idSong = songview.idSong AND song_artist.idArtist = 37823 AND song_artist.idRole = 1 ) OR EXISTS (SELECT 1 FROM album_artist WHERE album_artist.idAlbum = songview.idAlbum AND album_artist.idArtist = 37823)) ORDER BY songartistview.idsong, songartistview.idRole, songartistview.iOrder
09:15:41.349 T:5196 DEBUG: CMusicDatabase::GetSongsFullByWhere() - took 1190 ms

Now, they are not. Eventually the above seemd to lead to this:

ERROR: EXCEPTION: Unknown exception thrown from the call "XBMCAddon::xbmc::executeJSONRPC"
09:25:45.238 T:5196 ERROR: Skin Helper Service --> ERROR in UpdateBackgrounds ! --> Unknown exception thrown from the call "XBMCAddon::xbmc::executeJSONRPC"
09:25:45.238 T:5196 ERROR: Traceback (most recent call last):
09:25:45.238 T:5196 ERROR: File "C:\Users\Muther\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.skin.helper.service\resources\lib\BackgroundsUpdater.py", line 90, in run
09:25:45.239 T:5196 ERROR: self.UpdateBackgrounds()
09:25:45.239 T:5196 ERROR: File "C:\Users\Muther\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.skin.helper.service\resources\lib\BackgroundsUpdater.py", line 483, in UpdateBackgrounds
09:25:45.239 T:5196 ERROR: self.setImageFromPath("SkinHelper.AllMusicSongsBackground","SkinHelper.AllMusicSongsBackground","",['AudioLibrary.GetSongs','{ "properties": ["title","fanart","artist","album","thumbnail"], "limits": {"end":250}, "sort": { "order": "ascending", "method": "random" } }'])
09:25:45.239 T:5196 ERROR: File "C:\Users\Muther\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.skin.helper.service\resources\lib\BackgroundsUpdater.py", line 251, in setImageFromPath
09:25:45.239 T:5196 ERROR: if customJson: media_array = getJSON(customJson[0],customJson[1])
09:25:45.239 T:5196 ERROR: File "C:\Users\Muther\AppData\Roaming\Kodi\addons\script.skin.helper.service\resources\lib\Utils.py", line 98, in getJSON
09:25:45.239 T:5196 ERROR: json_response = xbmc.executeJSONRPC('{ "jsonrpc": "2.0", "method" : "%s", "params": %s, "id":1 }' %(method, try_encode(params)))
09:25:45.240 T:5196 ERROR: RuntimeError: Unknown exception thrown from the call "XBMCAddon::xbmc::executeJSONRPC"

I really do not understand this stuff, as may seem obvious, but I find it interesting now that I am not pulling my hair out over it.

Thanks for the help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Crashes are all over the place0