v17 Jerky Playback in Kodi 17(RC1)
Like some others have reported, I too am suffering from jerky playback in Kodi 17. My previous install of Kodi 16 was perfectly smooth for all content, no issues whatsoever, but since upgrading to 17 everything I playback has judder and stutter.

Here's my debug log:

http://pastebin.com/H8W80Ldg

System info:

Win7x64
GA-MA78GM-S2HP with Athlon X2 5600
Onboard ATI/AMD Radeon 3200 HD (integrated)
Catalyst 13.1 (last driver released for legacy card)

DXVA Rendering and DXVA2 Acceleration are enabled

I know this system is old, and perhaps it's just past its time, but it worked so well up to Kodi 16, and I was hoping that this is just a glitch in the new v17 renderer that could be tweaked to still continue to work well on older legacy hardware.

I tried Kodi 17RC1 to see if maybe the incremental update would help but playback is exactly the same, still jerky and not smooth lie previously.

Any chance this will be fixable for older hardware?

Many thanks!
TRJB
Have you tried, settings>player>videos>sync playback to display (toggled off) and what software rendering might do? Nothing in your debug stands out, but there's a lot going on, and I'd like to see how well this system performs with a local file, and a minimal portable install. http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable
I did try "sync playback" both on and off (if it's on in my debug log, that's just a hangover from a plethora of settings I tried toggling one at a time to see if it made any difference). Playback sync on vs. off did not improve things or change them at all.

I also tried full-screen window vs. just normal full screen, did not make any difference.

I did try software rendering vs DXVA with DXVA2 acceleration - no difference

When I turned off DXVA2 acceleration, playback smoothed out a fair bit better, but was still not perfectly smooth as it was in v16 and previous versions (with DXVA2 either on or off in those versions, both are perfect).

For what it's worth, the interface in 17 is also not really smooth... by that I mean when I'm scrolling vertically in the TV shows with banners being used, even that looks somewhat jerky compared to how smooth it is in v16 (albeit 16 is using a different skin, but that should be somewhat academic).

If I watch processor utilization when watching a video, it is not being pegged, both of the cores are just bouncing between .5% and 6-9%, it never gets significantly higher than that.

I'll give the portable install with a local file a try tomorrow if I can find time, but really this seems to be a renderer issue with the older hardware to me.

To install v17 I first made a complete copy of my user\roaming\kodi and programfiles (x86)\kodi folders, then installed v17 over the old install and let it do its database and addon migration without interruption when it first started. Installation basically went without a hitch.

After noticing that it was jerky in v17, just to make sure that something didn't go wrong with the system during the install (which it really shouldn't/couldn't have), I renamed the (then current) "kodi" folders to "kodi17" and the older "kodi-copy" folders back to just "kodi" to re-enable v16, and sure enough, everything (playback and interface) are still silky smooth.

When reversing that again and simply reinstating the v17 install from explorer and relaunching, everything is juddery again.

Thanks for the assistance.
TRJB
In a lot of the cases of the settings, some will not take hold until next launch. Let's try and do the simple things first, try and pick a video that displays the offending behaviour, using the external player VLC does it play the file without issue? If it's also jerks we have some 'other issue'. Next effort would be that portable install and see if a bog stock Kodi 17.1RC will play the file smoothly from a local source with software rendering (looks like you have enough CPU to handle it) bringing up the OSD to watch for bottle necks.
(2017-03-02, 19:40)PatK Wrote: In a lot of the cases of the settings, some will not take hold until next launch. Let's try and do the simple things first, try and pick a video that displays the offending behaviour, using the external player VLC does it play the file without issue? If it's also jerks we have some 'other issue'. Next effort would be that portable install and see if a bog stock Kodi 17.1RC will play the file smoothly from a local source with software rendering (looks like you have enough CPU to handle it) bringing up the OSD to watch for bottle necks.

I have not had time to try the portable install yet, but it's not "some other issue" because like I said, everything in Kodi 16 (and v14 and v15 before that) were butter smooth, UI included; and also, when playing any files outside of Kodi with MPC-HC they also play perfectly smooth with DXVA2 enabled. (the is no single "offending file" as I noted in my post above, its *anything* I play in v17, including the UI that is not smooth).

It's definitely an issue specific to Kodi v17 and the new renderer.

Cheers
TRJB
Quote:I have not had time to try the portable install yet
I'll look forward to that report then.
Hi,
I was suffering the same problem on the upgrade to v17. Found this thread searching for a solution. Ended up changing the renderer to "pixel shader" and that seems to have fixed it. Might be worth a try.

Cheers
G'day guys, I have the same issue and have tried several releases , including the Microsoft store one and what I came up with was that video is smooth in the windowed mode but jerky in the Full Screen#1 mode. No matter what changes I made - render method, DXVA toggling, ensuring latest GPU drivers are installed, altering refresh rate-- nothing made any difference except the screen mode. Definitely a PIA to have the bottom taskbar showing all the time , but at least the video playback is smooth. Another important thing to note is that this all started with the latest (as of 25 March 17) Windows 10 update. Prior to that , I had 17(RC1) and had no issues-- looks like a conflict with the latest Win 10 build.
**PS:
After some more head scratching , I discovered that the last couple of Windows 10 builds reset a few things automatically - one being the Power plan. I had always had mine set to High Performance , but found that after the latest update , it had reverted to the default setting of Balanced. Once I reset the Power Plan (Control Panel-Power Options - Power Plan) to High Performance , I then tested the playback with Full Screen #1 and playing a few movies that I knew had been jerky before and You-bluddy-bewdy....perfect. Hope this helps.
I had this problem too - 16.1 smooth. 17.0, 17.1 were jerky and had lots of performance problems. Eventually changed to LibreElec rather than Windows and that thing runs it like butter. There definitely seems to be a big problem with the Windows build of Krypton.
(2017-03-26, 18:41)Billy Wrote: I had this problem too - 16.1 smooth. 17.0, 17.1 were jerky and had lots of performance problems. Eventually changed to LibreElec rather than Windows and that thing runs it like butter. There definitely seems to be a big problem with the Windows build of Krypton.

Rather than use the Windows build , I got the 17.1 build direct from Kodi to see if it improved anything...it didn't , but however, the power plan reset definitely worked. Only issue I have now is for some weird reason , Kodi lists my movie genre folders in with my TV series folders.....I'll clear out all library settings and reset the libraries up and see if that corrects it. Huh
Tried the suggestions in the thread and no luck w/Win7 HTPC.

Running 17.1 on a couple Pi's and a FireTV with no issues. Older versions of Kodi work fine on the HTPC.

WTF?
I'm having similar issues on Windows 10 with Kodi 17.3. I'm running 16.1 with super smooth playback and 17.3 in portable mode which judders every few seconds.

Win10
Intel HD Graphics 5500
Intel i5-5200 CPU
4GB RAM

Please let me know if I can run any specific tests or debugs for you guys.
im having the same issue
on its 4th install
and i darn sure know it is not my rig....
everything else plays all my media fine
IT IS YOUR SOFTWARE!!!!
know get an update going already..
@DaSchit420 Millions of users are not having issues, that in itself should be telling. Attempt to play your video with VLC, does it play out smoothly? If so run a bog stock Kodi (prefer portable version) playing a video file locally. Still having issues?, leave a proper debug log with a public paste-bin and copy that URL back to your own thread with a short message of your issue.

@xbmcoholic try the diagnosis above; failing that, submit a proper debug log as stated in the above.
Jerky playback is caused by either crappy hardware, or crappy drivers. Without details of either, gonna be hard to fix your's or anyone else who tries to pile on to this post.

And just as a reminder, if you are using Windows 10, and it auto updates to a newer release, your video drivers aren't carried over (you get the crappy Windows default drivers). So download the latest Windows drivers for you video card, sound card, etc, and test again.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Jerky Playback in Kodi 17(RC1)1