• 10(current)
Solved Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x64
Why not add to error message that the user may go ahead with the install [Yes - No] but there could/will be video problems if indeed the platform update has not been installed on Win7.
(2017-03-26, 00:20)zqwerty Wrote: Why not add to error message that the user may go ahead with the install [Yes - No] but there could/will be video problems if indeed the platform update has not been installed on Win7.

An error message is something that gets displayed when there has been an error. When there has been an error, the install can't go ahead. Not much point, then, in displaying a message saying it can.

Rechi's solution is better than that.
(2017-03-26, 00:27)nogginthenog Wrote: An error message is something that gets displayed when there has been an error. When there has been an error, the install can't go ahead. Not much point, then, in displaying a message saying it can.

Rechi's solution is better than that.

This is not actually the case in this situation. The installer could continue, exactly as it has done in the past couple of versions, but there may be video playback issues if the update is not installed.

Maybe an alert such as, "We could not verify whether Windows Update KB$hotfixid is installed. This update is required to make sure kodi can play video files properly. The installer will continue, however you should check and install the needed software update as soon as possible."

Or similar. Why are the simple things always so complicated?
If we allow users to skip past the check to continue the installation then its more than likely they will do nothing further and then completely forget about it. Then 6 months or whenever down the line when they eventually notice playback issues they haven't been able to solve they will come here just as before.
(2017-03-26, 00:38)Gobberwart Wrote: Maybe an alert such as, "We could not verify whether Windows Update KB$hotfixid is installed. This update is required to make sure kodi can play video files properly. The installer will continue, however you should check and install the needed software update as soon as possible."

Or similar. Why are the simple things always so complicated?

You could do that, but it would be a case of solving an implementation problem by altering a design decision. At some point in the past, other people took a decision that Kodi should not be allowed to run if the graphics might be broken. It's noted as a requirement on 20 April 2015, so far as I can see. What you now propose is simple to do -- it needs none of the implementation that has been worked on in this thread -- but it amounts to saying that is no longer a requirement, and Kodi can run even if the graphics might be broken. I don't know how Team Kodi takes such decisions, or reviews them, or alters them, but I suspect they are probably not taken by users like you and me in a discussion like this. jjd-uk 's comment seems to confirm.
I think the implementation as per design is solved. Design change could be considered for future release if required. Comes down to problems solved vs problems created I guess. For now I think we're good
Photo 
Hi,

I have just restored a fresh Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on an Asus computer so this is a clean Windows 7. All the required Windows 7 updates are installed including 2670838

Downloaded the latest Kodi 17.1 installer and it failed right off the bat with the same installation problem with the KB2670838.
(2017-03-29, 22:40)VTMac Wrote: Hi,

I have just restored a fresh Windows 7 x64 Ultimate on an Asus computer so this is a clean Windows 7. All the required Windows 7 updates are installed including 2670838

Downloaded the latest Kodi 17.1 installer and it failed right off the bat with the same installation problem with the KB2670838.

Did you wipe the system disk and install Windows from scratch? Or did you do what Microsoft calls a 'restore' or a 'refresh'?
Hello everyone.

When will the fix for Kodi v17.1 be finished and ready to use?

Today I wanted to install the new Kodi and it gives me the same error everyone else is getting. When trying to download the windows update, again the same as everyone else. I dont understand 80% of the "path" thingies youre all talking about so I dont really know how to use that information for the solution of my problem. Sad

If the fix will be ready soon I can wait.
The issue is not the same as everyone else, it concerns an installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x64, and for the majority the fix is in.
Ok, sorry for not being that specific. My problem is like the one MOST people have. KB2670839 Update...

My powershell is in C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0

...and I dont know what to do with this now. I dont understand how to put it in the Path, Ive been trying all night and its been so frustrating.
Hi guys. Running Kodi this morning, it informed me that even though I am running 16.1 stable, 17.1 stable is available. Shutdown Kodi & downloaded 17.1. Ran it after saving it & got the KB2670838 issue. MS said it was installed, so came here.

Have read all the posts on this thread & checked:
Powershell is in the path & where it should be
WMIC is where it should be.

Uninstalled the KB, reinstalled. Deleted saved copy of 17.1 & downloaded & ran 2nd copy. Got the very same issue.
It looks like a revised installer was merged today (2 April) so you could try a 17.2RC or 18a1 nightly tomorrow or wait for 17.2 release. Meanwhile if interested (and the following is understandable) you can open a command window and enter
Code:
wmic qfe get Hotfixid | findstr "^KB2670838[^0-9]"
and if you get a response of
Code:
KB2670838
then the installer should let the installation complete.

I don't know if you need to be logged in with an administrators group account for this to work or not.

scott s.
Everybody still having an issue with the installer detecting if the Windows Update is installed, please try http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/win32/K...rypton.exe. It doesn't rely on a correct PATH environment variable anymore.
(2017-04-03, 10:27)Rechi Wrote: Everybody still having an issue with the installer detecting if the Windows Update is installed, please try http://mirrors.kodi.tv/nightlies/win32/K...rypton.exe. It doesn't rely on a correct PATH environment variable anymore.

hello , i still get the same error (KodiSetup-20170402-4ae4144977-Krypton.exe) . the KB is installed as you can see in the screenshot. and all the PATH environments are set ok
ps: if i run the setup file using XP compatibility mode no error happen.
edit: installed kodi-17.1-Krypton.exe using "run this program in compatibility mode for : Windows XP (SP 2)" successful on my win 7 machine and works with out any problem
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi 17.x Installation problem with KB2670838 Win7 x643