v17 Any way to copy files from samba shares to local storage
Hello,

I have a Raspberry Pi that acts as a Samba File System amongst other things. (Let's call it Pi1)
I have another Pi (let's call it Pi2) downstairs running Kodi 17 (LibreElec), on which I watch the files from the SMBfs of Pi1.
Unfortunately, I get pauses while watching video content due to my bad internet.

I was wondering if I can setup my Pi2 to automatically copy files from the SMBfs on Pi1 to the local storage of Pi2 (in Kodi).
Is there an option I am overseeing, or are there specially designed add-ons?

The best thing I could come up with myself was to just copy my files manually from Pi1 SMB, to the Pi2 SMB (enabled in Kodi).
Maybe I could automate that on the Pi1 as well.

Is there an easy way I am overseeing to do this?

Thanks!
Antoine

(Sorry if my sentences confuse you, it was the best way I could put it)
You say bad internet, I guess you mean bad wifi? What type of Wifi connection is between them? Could you change from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz? Any way to set up a wired connection instead?

You could enable some kind of rsync or similar scripts to mirror the contents from Pi1 to Pi2, though that would be something you do outside of Kodi (probably)
(2017-03-28, 02:45)damonbrodie Wrote: You say bad internet, I guess you mean bad wifi? What type of Wifi connection is between them? Could you change from 2.4Ghz to 5Ghz? Any way to set up a wired connection instead?

Bad internet all around, here is the full story:

Before my Pi downstairs I used miniDLNA on Pi1 to stream movies to my "smart" TV. It often paused and wouldn't continue at all afterwards. First the tv was connected wirelessly (wifi), then I tried connecting it through ethernet.
Ethernet was a little better but still paused too often to be reliable.

I bought a raspberry Pi zero W recently, and used samba because, in my experience, it's a lot faster. The Pi W doesn't have an ethernet port so it's connected wirelessly.

The 2.4GHz Wifi repeater (connected trough wire) is almost right next to the setup so the WiFi signal is very strong.

The only thing that might be interferring is the camera I have setup on Pi1 with Motioneye (streams low quality on the network).

(2017-03-28, 02:45)damonbrodie Wrote: You could enable some kind of rsync or similar scripts to mirror the contents from Pi1 to Pi2, though that would be something you do outside of Kodi (probably)

Probably gonna go this route then, I'll use rsync on Pi1 to copy content to samba of Pi2.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Any way to copy files from samba shares to local storage0