Kodi on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Server and ESXi
Hi,

I am working on an experiment, trying to get Kodi installed in a vm, on Ubuntu server 16.04.2 LTS on an ESXi server and do a passthrough with an Nvidia card using the HDMI out

This is where I am.

I followed this post on installing Kodi 17 in an ESXi vm and that was successful.
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

However, it seems to mostly be running off CPU and a little sluggish. I did a pass through with a GTX 1050 Ti and am now trying to install the nvidia drivers in ubuntu.

But, when I install the .run file, Kodi no longer loads right.

And when I install the apt-get install method, it takes over xorg and loads the wrong shell.

wondering if anyone has successfully installed the nvidia drivers on Ubuntu server with Kodi, and what they did?
Installing kodi in Ubuntu is annoying. Sound passthrough (bitstreaming) requires a bunch of changes, the wiki page with instructions are out of date, and there are confusing info regarding how to install it properly.

Did you consider installing libreelec? I'm running le 8.0.1 in kvm with a gt710 passed through. No extra drivers to install. Works out of the box
Thread moved to Linux
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Kodi on Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Server and ESXi0