Install LibreELEC on a partition rather than on the whole HDD
Question 
Latest MacOS Sierra has brought some damage to the sound output so I've decided to install LibreELEC instead of KODI as a MacOS app. I would keep LibreELEC on a dedicated USB stick but this way it works terribly slow in terms of updating the library. I wonder if it is possible to use only a dedicated partition to install LibreELEC or it should take the whole HDD only?
I dont k ow enough about MacOS, but does it have a bootmanager like Grub for Linux? If not, then it might be problem with keeping MacOS because LibreELEC doesn't have a bootmanager either.

To dualboot LibreELEC, it was always recommended to do it next to an Ubuntu installation, as this ships grub as a default bootmanager.
There is a boot manager in every Mac, just press Alt during the startup sound. The problem is neither LibreELEC no OpenELEC offer installation to the selected partition, requiring the whole HDD instead. May be there is the way to tell installer that I don't want to use the whole HDD but only a part of it.
I wouldnt do it to be honest a quick 64gb memory card costs next to nowt.
There are dual boot instructions on the openelec wiki, and works for libreelec too. You don't use the intaller.

Basically you need two partitions. One needs to be only 1G. This will hold the KERNEL and SYSTEM files that you can extract from the distributed tar file. The other partition will be /storage and I would make it minimum 16G, or larger if you like. It should be ext4.

Then your bootloader needs to boot KERNEL and point it to the second partition. The grub examples on the openelec wiki will be a guide. I don't know how the osx boot loader works, so can't be more precise.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Its a bit of a pain i think it needs to be selected before reboot via system settings :|
Sorry to bump an old thread.

I previously had Kodibuntu installed on my 500gb drive which was partitioned with all my photos on the larger partition.
I recently tried to update Kodibuntu which ended up removing all Kodi & resulting in barebones xenial release.

I wonder if it's possible to install LibreELEC as a replacement to Kodibuntu partition without having to reformat my entire drive?

Thanks.
I've just isntalled librelec inside vmware (i want my kodi sandboxed on my work machine)

You can use the ova files on official libreelec mirrors and it's a no brainer

Seems to work but i did not test speed nor stability, and it seems almost no one is using this excellent solution.
I'm attempting to boot LibreELEC from a partition. I've done so using the following Grub config:

Code:

kodi@kodi:/etc/grub.d$ cat 40_custom
#!/bin/sh
exec tail -n +3 $0
# This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
# menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
# the 'exec tail' line above.
#

menuentry "LibreELEC" {
   set root=(hd0,gpt4)
   linux /KERNEL boot=/dev/sda4 disk=/dev/sda4 quiet

However, I'm unable to boot due to the following: