Solved [17.1] Kodi won't start after install
I've installed this version on multiple computers. This is a fresh install of Windows 10 with several other programs that were also recently loaded. I installed Kodi, and when I try to start it gives me a full screen black screen for a few seconds, and then Windows tells me Kodi isn't working, This is from the installer. I've tried the Windows Store. It gives different errors, but much the same result.

I checked DirectX, I've tried deleting the Addons27.db file. I've tried a fresh install by clearing out the %APPDATA%\Kodi folder completely. All to no avail. This worked prior to the rebuild of Windows on this same computer.

I do have a dump file, but I would like to look through it myself. How do you read the dump files? I used WordPad, which gave some more details, but still a lot of garbled text.

The stacktrace shows as follows:
Code:
Thread 648 (process 9020)
# 0 CreateDirect3D11SurfaceFromDXGISurface
# 1
# 2
# 3
# 4
# 5
# 6
# 7
# 8
# 9
#10 BaseThreadInitThunk
#11 RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath
#12 RtlGetAppContainerNamedObjectPath

Windows Event Viewer shows me:
Code:
Faulting application name: kodi.exe, version: 17.1.0.0, time stamp: 0x58d009cf
Faulting module name: d3d11.dll, version: 10.0.15063.0, time stamp: 0x994d6e1a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x0018759f
Faulting process id: 0x52c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d2bf1dc4a558ea
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Kodi\kodi.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\SYSTEM32\d3d11.dll
Report Id: afc71316-73aa-4b75-ab11-4238c5b7ca43
Faulting package full name:
Faulting package-relative application ID:

The kodi.log file shows me: Pastebin Link
You haven't enabled Debugging Mode... and with 56 posts, you should know not to post Logs here. Pastebin

Maybe check Graphics Drivers??
I'd go with graphics drivers too. Seems to fix most of these random crashes (where banned addons aren't to blame)

Sent from my SM-G920I
(2017-04-27, 09:06)blossom24 Wrote: You haven't enabled Debugging Mode... and with 56 posts, you should know not to post Logs here. Pastebin

Maybe check Graphics Drivers??

All of my posts previously were related to add-ons or hardware. I've never had a software issue with Kodi working. I've updated my post to have a Pastebin link instead.

I tried downloading a Windows 10 driver from Lenovo's site for my model (W520 Thinkpad), and it's still having the same issue with d3d11.dll. I did already download and apply DirectX with the same result.

For debugging mode I did add the advancedsettings.xml file with the 2 loglevel, but it hasn't had an impact on the logging that is generated when I try to start Kodi.
Intel® HD Graphics 3000, Supported hardware (wiki) Note: Due to changes in code it may be possible that older hardware/videocards are no longer supported. If starting of Kodi fails then try upgrading to last available drivers (or beta drivers). A proper debug log might should something beyond, but suspect it will come back to this comparison to my 8 year old design and yours http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Int...649vsm7752

Best check would be Kodi in portable mode with local files and no add-ons. http://kodi.wiki/view/Windows_FAQ#Portable
I tried 16.1 with slightly different results. I'm getting the following error:

Code:
ERROR: Exception caught on main loop. Exiting

I checked the log and no joystick found. I've included a debug log in case someone can assist.

https://pastebin.com/aWgZdTpB

I was able to get into 15.2, which I will use if I can't get 16.1 working.
The big differences between 15 and later iterations is the reliance on Direct X11 routines vs DX 9 andi the log LENOVO 4284CV4 with Windows 10 you have <splash>false</splash> in the advanced settings which is exactly the point when the graphic engine is brought into use. Supported hardware (wiki) it looks like the Intel® HD Graphics 3000 DirectX 10.1 is outside the recommendation for hardware acceleration and Kodi is set as that for default operation. Most of the support messages I'm seeing are 5+ years old and would herald back to Kodi 15.2

http://forums.windowscentral.com/windows...-10-a.html
Ok so... Isengard for life. Thanks for the assistance.
Or spend $50-100 on a S905 android box and replace android with LibreELEC.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[17.1] Kodi won't start after install0