Android remote listing failures
I have a T95Z settop box running Kodi 16.1 to play audio & video media files from a LAN server through an AV receiver. I've no need of Kodi library functionalities. Kodi looks at a LAN media server with, mostly, classical music & opera files, audio & video listed separately & alphabetically round period, composer, title, performers, encoded entirely in folder and file names. With some help here, I managed to find Kodi settings that ensure Kodi displays just the filenames and not other info.

However Android Kodi-remote apps like Kore, also Yatse, make huge errors in listing these files and folders. Under "Files", Kore (and Yatse) display skips some folders altogether, and add in file entries from other folders. I don't see a bug reporting page for Kodi, so I'm asking here, how do I get round this?
Kore and Yatse are library oriented.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Is there an Android remote app that will do what I need?
I am not sure why you want to use kodi at all for this. Kodi's main feature is it's library and the cool things you can do with it.

I would suggest mpd.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Or VLC?
They added smb support to their android app, didn't they?
I'm using Kodi because it was pre-installed on the android, and had a decent if cluttered interface.

I'll try VLC.
Yeah, as already said, 90% of the features are library based, so if you don't use it, Kodi is probably not what you need.
Yatse fully embrace Kodi file mode Wink

You just need to check the option file mode in sort menu, to force Kodi to work in real file mode. All remotes can only show what Kodi returns, but some can tell Kodi to return different things.
(2017-06-16, 17:51)Tolriq Wrote: Yatse fully embrace Kodi file mode Wink

You just need to check the option file mode in sort menu, to force Kodi to work in real file mode. All remotes can only show what Kodi returns, but some can tell Kodi to return different things.

You're referring to Kodi's left Confluence slide-in, View: List, Sort by:file, Sort:Ascending? All that behaves correctly in Kodi, but Yatse still skips whole folders, and adds in entries that are elsewhere.
No I refer to Yatse side press the sort / filter button then check File mode, documented in the Wiki.

Yatse does not skip anything, it displays what Kodi returns, by default Kodi tries to return library data associated with files when browsing in file mode.
The settings in Yatse disable this to force Kodi to not do that and return raw data.

Remotes are tied to how Kodi operates and using library is way better, but Yatse have added some things to better support file mode as this is what a non null part of users wants.
> Yatse does not skip anything

It most certainly did, until your suggested "file mode" change was made.Apologies for failing to memorise and completely understand Yatse and Kodi Wiki pages before reporting this problem.

> using library is way better

Not for you to decide! It's the user's choice. This music collection began long before there was Yatse or Kodi or Android, and if I'm lucky it'll still be here when they're gone. The Kodi library may be suited to collectons of pop music. This collection is 90% classical & opera. The Kodi library simply doesn't work for this collection.
(2017-06-16, 19:51)pzbrawl Wrote: > Yatse does not skip anything

It most certainly did, until your suggested "file mode" change was made.Apologies for failing to memorise and completely understand Yatse and Kodi Wiki pages before reporting this problem.

> using library is way better

Not for you to decide! It's the user's choice. This music collection began long before there was Yatse or Kodi or Android, and if I'm lucky it'll still be here when they're gone. The Kodi library may be suited to collectons of pop music. This collection is 90% classical & opera. The Kodi library simply doesn't work for this collection.

No it did not, Kodi did .... Yatse displays what Kodi sends, there's a very big difference that you do not seem to make Yatse != Kodi Smile That's why Kore did display the same wrong data, it can't be Yatse if the other app does the same no? Smile

About file mode, I do talk about API point of view, again I'm not Kodi, they decide what is best for users, I try to fit users needs that's why there's this option to try to bypass the limitation.
So do not yell at me for trying to add features to fix limitations so that users can make the choice. You are not looking at the correct target, I'm facing the same imposed choices as you Wink

About classical music, I know that Dave have made immense progress on support for that so you should check the music sub forum Wink
> That's why Kore did display the same wrong data

Yet on the T95Z Kodi displayed those folders correctly. So the errors are Kodi's feed to the remote, and Yatse's for not correcting it.

> I'm not Kodi, they decide what is best for users

No they do not. As developers they try to anticipate what users need. For this user, they did not succeed.

> So do not yell at me for trying to add features to fix limitations so that users can make the choice.

Get real, nobody is yelling at you. I'm reporting a problem, and disagreeing with your absurd generalised claim that library mode is best. It is most definitely not best for users like me. Kodi's and Yatse's defaults simply don't work for collections like mine. I'm just hoping to find settings that make it work.

The alternative for me is VLC or something like it, but it presents two other ptoblems, (i) when you back out of the display of a track that's playing, play stops, and (ii) I've been unable to find a way to run VLC on the T95Z from from a phone or tablet So, if there are Kodi & Yatse settings that make them work for me, terrific.

> About classical music, I know that Dave have made immense progress on support for that

Progress from what exactly? Kodi defaults certainly don't work well for classical music collections like mine.I'm not interested in spending a lot of time on Kodi. It's a tool, not an occupation. I merely need software to play what's already organised. If it turns out to be Kodi, fine. If something else is better, that's fine too.
Yatse can't correct what Kodi sends how could it know that the data is not good? If Kodi says X is a folder named Y, how could Yatse knows that it's in fact an mp3 labeled Z ....
Yatse can disable Kodi broken things but it needs the user to tell it do it....

Quote:Not for you to decide!

Is yelling, specially when I'm trying to help you, and when you talk about something I did not say. Just read again, Kodi want's you to use the library, and I talk about the API for remotes working better for library since it's like that. I'm again not the one making what you call "absurd generalization".
As I said I'm the one trying to fit user needs and did add specific support for a better file mode that does exactly what you need.....

But I'm done trying to help and explain, something else than Kodi will certainly fit better your needs, reading how you act Wink
> Is yelling

False.

> , specially when I'm trying to help you

Telling me that what I saw didn't happen is the opposite of help. Telling me "library is way better" is the opposite of help.

> you talk about something I did not say..

False. You said "library is way better". That's absurd: the library is obviously designed for pop music and TV. It comes nowhere near meeting the needs of classical music collectors.

> Just read again, Kodi want's you to use the library,

That may be so (so much the worse for Kodi). It's not what you said.

> and I talk about the API for remotes working better for library since it's like that. I'm again
> not the one making what you call "absurd generalization".

You said the Kodi "library is way better". That's an absurd generalisation. The Kodi library is way worse for this music collection, and for those like it.

Again thank you for pointing me to a Yatse setting which, so far, removes the listing errors I reported.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Android remote listing failures0