Best NAS Software For KODI
Forgive the backstory....

I have been with KODI since the early XBMC/Original XBOX days... I shed a tear when the venerable Original XBOX (which I have used for a LINUX MailServer at one time) was not able to handle the newest video formats..

I then upgraded to a Windows computer running XBMC then KODI w/ 10 TB of storage.... With a feel for the nostalgia, I even kept the old XBOX controller...

My son finally talked me into ditching the Windows machine and running a Raspberry Pi... My wife and I love the interface and the informational features, but we have a problem with storage..

NAS enclosures that can handle 10TB are way out of my price range... Right now, I have the TB HDs on my Windows workstation, but sometimes Winblows fraks up the permissions and such and it's REALLY annoying never knowing whether we're actually going to be able to watch TV on any given night...

I do have a REALLY nice server case that I can put 14TB in and I was thinking I could just grab some old DuoCore MB and run a LINUX NAS package...

But if I do that, I might was well just run a KODI package....

So, I am really at a crossroads here and wanted to solicit some advice...
Thread moved to the hardware section, although it's not directly about kodi itself even there.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
Thanx....
Have you looked at the HP Gen 8 microserver??

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/product-catalo...79860.html

I'm in the UK and it cost me £180, plus they do a cash back deal of £60 if you get it through a HP re-seller (stupidly I didn't and only found out afterwards!). It can take up to 16TB of storage and FreeNAS runs perfectly using NFS shares on my raspberry pii and main PC box (both running libreelec).

Hope that helps
(2017-07-27, 14:43)EngineerPeter Wrote: Have you looked at the HP Gen 8 microserver??

https://www.hpe.com/uk/en/product-catalo...79860.html

I'm in the UK and it cost me £180, plus they do a cash back deal of £60 if you get it through a HP re-seller (stupidly I didn't and only found out afterwards!). It can take up to 16TB of storage and FreeNAS runs perfectly using NFS shares on my raspberry pii and main PC box (both running libreelec).

Hope that helps

Thanx for the tip.. I'll check it out...
The HP Microservers are awesome for what you need. They are dirt cheap, have server reference hardware and have never failed me. Running it with XPenology and you have a Synology running for een 10th of the price.
Keep the Pi for Kodi, and put the big hard disk in a server (NAS) in another room. No reason to run Kodi on the server, and it'll be quieter in the room where you're watching TV.
(2017-07-27, 14:49)pameijer Wrote: The HP Microservers are awesome for what you need. They are dirt cheap, have server reference hardware and have never failed me. Running it with XPenology and you have a Synology running for een 10th of the price.

Thanx for the reply...

Best price on an HP Microserver I can find is $200.. Way over my paygrade Sad

(2017-07-27, 15:02)GreySkies Wrote: Keep the Pi for Kodi, and put the big hard disk in a server (NAS) in another room. No reason to run Kodi on the server, and it'll be quieter in the room where you're watching TV.

Hmmmm that's a good point...

My biggest reason for putting KODI in with the HDs is connectivity... I am in a lightning-strike prone area (had a direct hit last week) and I have the worst luck with routers and such..
If I do go with a bare Duo Core MB running OpenElec KODI, what kind of specs would I need for CPU/RAM/VideoCard to get flawless KODI operation running a 14TB HD setup??
I've got one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fanless-...1fe034b201 Software is vortexbox. Works just fine!
Odroid C2 running CoreElec
seeing as you said $200 is over budget why not look into re-purposing the existing windows machine as a file server? There are plenty of options, OpenMediaVault, Nas4free, freenas, UnRaid you could even run emby on an OS of choice
first_time_user (wiki) | free content (wiki) | forum rules (wiki) | PVR (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)

IMPORTANT:
The official Kodi version does not contain any content what so ever. This means that you should provide your own content from a local or remote storage location, DVD, Blu-Ray or any other media carrier that you own. Additionally Kodi allows you to install third-party plugins that may provide access to content that is freely available on the official content provider website. The watching or listening of illegal or pirated content which would otherwise need to be paid for is not endorsed or approved by Team Kodi.
Within that budget I would agree with re purposing a tower computer.

Check out this project:

http://xpenology.me/

I've met the lead dev and even sold him a zotac board before this project was gaining popularity.

Basically its Synology NAS DSM operating system hacked to work on a x86 tower computer. This will set up as a DS3616 so you can add over ten drives if you want. It will require that you sacrifice a USB stick and leave it plugged in to the tower to handle booting the hardware. Synology has an amazing NAS and I have used them for years now.

In the mobile app stores IOS and Android you will find synology apps for everything from mobile syncing to transcoding video streaming apps (works well on limited htpc's). In their app store for the server one can find usenet clients and torrent downloaders. Synnocommunity is searchable on google and extends the functionality of your server even further with community offered software from sickbeard to docker and much more. Synology servers can be set up to NVR your security cameras and remote backup to amazon if needed. I highly suggest looking in to expenology as its free and makes great use of old hardware.

quotaholic
A F'n Roku, cant wait to build a ryzen.
(2017-07-28, 14:13)BoxFreak Wrote: I've got one of these: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Fanless-...1fe034b201 Software is vortexbox. Works just fine!
And where do you put 14TB of drives in that?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
You really should look into unraid man. Both NAS and kodi on one box. Do you have a gpu on your current core 2 duo machine? And the other thing you need to Ensure is that your cpu supports vt d. If you do, you don't have to spend an extra dime to get running [emoji51]

Sent from my iPhone
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
I repurposed an older machine into an UnRaidd server years ago. It's scalable and you can use whatever Drives you have and add more as you go. I started with three 1TB drives...1 parity and 2 data. As time went on I added drives and upgraded parity drive. I now have a 3TB parity drive and a mix of 1, 1.5, 2, & 3TB drives. Works great with my Raspberry Pi OSMC at my TVs
unRaid v6 pro:
ECS A885GM-A2 (V1.1) AM3 AMD 880G Motherboard
AMD Sempron 145 Sargas Single-Core 2.8 GHz
2GB RAM
Dockers: Kodi Headless and MariaDB for a centralized DB. MythTV or TVheadend (Still experimenting)
--
HTPC Win7:
Intel Core I3-2105 Dual-Core Processor 3.1 GHz 3 MB Cache LGA 1155
4GB (2 x 2GB) RAM
--
Extenders: RPI3 w/OSMC

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best NAS Software For KODI0