Playing Content On TV???
If I've read and understood correctly, the Kodi wiki suggests that playback on a TV probably requires a cable from computer to the TV. Is this correct, or am I not getting it?

If that's correct, um, what's the point of Kodi? I can already play content on the Mac and send it to the TV over a cable. In fact, I don't really need the cable, as I can send the content via Airplay.

Is Kodi just a media organizer? Is that it's purpose?

The wiki looks great, the web site is beautiful, the forum is well done and appreciated. But uh, no where do I read what the purpose of Kodi is. Everything seems to assume I already know what Kodi is. Puzzling...

I'm looking for a Plex replacement. Is that Kodi? Or is Kodi something else entirely?

Thanks for your patience with this nube, appreciated.
Yes, it's called a HDMI cable, just like any other device/software that is designed to play media on a TV.

And you can start with the Quick start guide (wiki) where it explains what Kodi is:
Quote:The Kodi interface is designed with the 'Home Theater' in mind. This means it is best viewed on a large-screen TV while you sit on your couch 10-feet away from that TV, rather than on a small monitor while you sit at your desk. Because everything is designed with the home theater experience in mind, the best way to interact with Kodi is with a remote control, rather than a computer mouse. If it helps, think of Kodi as the ultimate DVD-player/set-top-box

To elaborate on that, Kodi is a media player with a fancy UI that allows you to play, organize and view metadata (i.e. artwork, plot,/synopsis, actors/artist, etc.) of your personal media that is on a attached drive or network share.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thank you. I think I'm almost there.

I know how to cable a Mac to our TV, but that's not needed, is it? I can stream my Mac desktop to the TV using AirPlay. Right?

Assuming yes, then the only remaining question is, how do I control Kodi from the couch while viewing it on TV?

The section you quoted suggests a remote. Ok, good, but what remote? We have four remotes, TV, DVD player, Apple, and Roku. All of them? Any of them? Some new remote specifically designed to work with Kodi?

Thanks again. Once I understand the remote issue I think I'll be ready to install and start learning Kodi.
Quote:I know how to cable a Mac to our TV, but that's not needed, is it?
Kodi is designed to be connected to your TV in exactly the same way that a DVD/Bluray player is connected to a TV. If you are streaming from Kodi to your TV, then you are simply using Kodi's inbuilt uPNP server, and not really using Kodi as recommended, nor to its full potential. Kodi is not needed in this case.

As for remotes... There is no "Kodi Remote". Rather you can program Kodi to understand the commands issued by your remote... http://kodi.wiki/view/Remote_Controls
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-08-27, 23:34)Karellen Wrote: As for remotes... There is no "Kodi Remote". Rather you can program Kodi to understand the commands issued by your remote... http://kodi.wiki/view/Remote_Controls

Ok, thank you very much, that is helpful. Well, there's little chance I'm going to wade through all that nerdology, so I guess it's on to the next contestant. No problem. Thank you again for helping me understand whether Kodi is right for me.
Oops. I should have mentioned that there are remotes you can install on your tablet/smart phone. The only setup required there is ensuring the correct ip address is entered.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Thanks for the additional info. That does open the door back up a bit, will think on it.
How about purchasing a cheap but dedicated bit of hardware that you can plug into your TV directly?

Have a read through here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
My Signature
Karellen just fyi - airplay mirroring is presented like a second monitor over the air. So its not just using upnp. Its like connecting a second monitor to a mac and then kodi can of course be moved to that second monitor. It needs good wifi but it should work ok. Please be consider this for future answers in that regard Smile.

And kodi supports the white and silver apple remotes when paired to a mac...
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
(2017-08-28, 09:15)Memphiz Wrote: Karellen just fyi - airplay mirroring is presented like a second monitor over the air. So its not just using upnp. Its like connecting a second monitor to a mac and then kodi can of course be moved to that second monitor. It needs good wifi but it should work ok.

If it helps, we have no problem streaming the Mac desktop to the TV via Airplay.

(2017-08-28, 09:15)Memphiz Wrote: And kodi supports the white and silver apple remotes when paired to a mac...

This is interesting, thanks. So are you saying that if I install Kodi I should be able to operate it on the TV using our AppleTV remote?

If yes, will I have to teach Kodi how to talk to the AppleTV remote?

If yes, can you point to instructions for this?

Seems promising, thanks.
@Memphiz,

Thanks for explaining that. I am not a mac user, so just assumed it was uPNP. Smile
My Signature
Here's the wiki page regarding the AppleTV remote.

http://kodi.wiki/view/apple_remote

Is it saying that the remote will automatically work with Kodi?

Or?

We have the silver remote if that matters.
If you mac has an ir sensor and can be paired with the remote (google it - pairing the remote is a feature of mac os) then the only thing you need to do is to select "apple remote" in settings - system - input inside kodi.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
Thanks, searching and reading now, it looks like Yosemite has this feature.

Does pairing the remote to the Mac mean I could no longer use that remote with AppleTV?
I can't answer that question.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Playing Content On TV???0