Apple TV 4K Vs AmazonFire TV
Not sure if I am posting this in the right area. But I am trying to decide between Purchasing the New Apple TV 4k or the Amazon Fire TV with 4k [not stick]. I have hundreds of Blu-ray movies saved as folders, and hundreds of ISO movies. First of all I saw somewhere online that if I install Kodi on Apple TV, Kodi will no longer function or be deleted if Apple TV does an update. Is that true? If not, and it will work fine where would I find the correct instructions to install it on the Apple TV? Second. Do the same theory applies to the Amazon Fire TV? Third. Apple TV doesn't recognize the Blu-ray or ISO format. With Kodi installed on it, will those files play within Kodi? Fourth. With iTune movie purchases. Can there file formats play in Kodi? Please help.
Quick answer, the Nvidia Shield TV. Wink

Considering that the Apple TV 4K was only announced today, nothing is known about it. It won't even be available until Sept. 22. Besides that, there is no official build for tvOS.

The Fire TV is semi-locked down and although they are fine devices for some, at any point Amazon could decided to block Kodi from being installed on it.

If you're going to get a device then make it something that you don't have to jump through hoops to install Kodi on.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2017-09-13, 03:29)Raisingcanex Wrote: I have hundreds of Blu-ray movies saved as folders, and hundreds of ISO movies...

(2017-09-13, 06:00)Tinwarble Wrote: Quick answer, the Nvidia Shield TV. Wink
Even quicker answer - Avoid 99% of media player Hardware limitations & Android / Apple / Amazon - Operating Systems restrictions. And run an optimised Kodi Krypton with the freedom it deserves, as bug free as possible - using LibreELEC Kodi Krypton on a 4K S905(x) device with a Wireless remote. Wink

Otherwise you are starting with one hand tied behind your back to begin with. Wink

Once you start introducing OS restrictions like HDCP - it just gets in the way for audio and video device hardware compatibility, if all you want to use is Kodi.

The major problem with the OP's question is..

Does he only want a Kodi only box or one that also runs a multitude of various Apps ?

It's not clear in the first post.

Shield owners can get back to me when they get reliable Kodi Krypton TvHeadend deinterlacing and working Kodi 1080p / 4K Auto resolution switching, high quality 1080p > 4K upscaling plus a proper remote control that involves no stupid touch interactions.

Any Android OS - IS one hand tied behind your back - its a compromise for mainstream user usage. Wink

(2017-09-13, 03:29)Raisingcanex Wrote: Not sure if I am posting this in the right area. But I am trying to decide between Purchasing the New Apple TV 4k or the Amazon Fire TV with 4k [not stick]. I have hundreds of Blu-ray movies saved as folders, and hundreds of ISO movies. First of all I saw somewhere online that if I install Kodi on Apple TV, Kodi will no longer function or be deleted if Apple TV does an update. Is that true? If not, and it will work fine where would I find the correct instructions to install it on the Apple TV? Second. Do the same theory applies to the Amazon Fire TV? Third. Apple TV doesn't recognize the Blu-ray or ISO format. With Kodi installed on it, will those files play within Kodi? Fourth. With iTune movie purchases. Can there file formats play in Kodi? Please help.

I like the apple ecosystem due their simplicity, but to play blu-rays its a closed system and it will fail in that category (i also own hundreds of blu-rays)

Ive read in avsforum that ATV4K will not support Atmos, dts-hd or trueHD, there some notes that the beta version of IOS 11 of iphone X, 8, 7 will bring flac support, the ATV 4K specs Mention FLAC.... but APPLE being APPLE the ATV 4K will be just be another streaming device running IOS with support for 4K streaming supporting HDR, dolby vision and HGL.

In the Keynote they mention Live some TV APP to add some bundle subscription of HBO, Showtime and Starz

Also add the fact that previous ATV never support 23,976 and i suspect Youtube HDR or 4K will not be supported.

My opinion at this point is that ATV 4K is outdated device at launch due the lack of HD Audio (lets see what type of Video frame rate will support)
Anthem MRX310 | XTZ 93.23 DIY 5.1 (Seas Jantzen Mundorf) | DXD808 | Oppo 103D | LG OLED 55EC930V | Nvidia Shield | ATV3

I could be wrong but I think MrMC might be an option if available for the new AppleTV
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/mrmc/id1059536415?mt=8

(2017-09-13, 06:00)Tinwarble Wrote: If you're going to get a device then make it something that you don't have to jump through hoops to install Kodi on.
This. I wouldn't buy either if you want an easy life, apple and amazon are too locked down for it to be worth your time Smile
(2017-09-13, 21:24)FXB78 Wrote:
(2017-09-13, 06:00)Tinwarble Wrote: If you're going to get a device then make it something that you don't have to jump through hoops to install Kodi on.
This. I wouldn't buy either if you want an easy life, apple and amazon are too locked down for it to be worth your time Smile

The device that does not require any setup whatsoever - where you unbox and Power up and boot straight into Kodi is the...

Vero 4K Wink

(2017-09-13, 12:08)couto27 Wrote: Also add the fact that previous ATV never support 23,976 and i suspect Youtube HDR or 4K will not be supported.
I'm reading that ATV 4K won't support 24p either.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My HT
I like the Apple TV 4K more, it can play the 4K video smoothly, provide the high 4K video quality.
http://onebestsoft.com/play-4k-video-on-apple-tv/
From Forbes Cutting Edge...

A comprehensive review for buying an Apple TV 4K:

Apple TV 4K Review: 13 Reasons You Should Buy One

And very good reasons why you should NOT buy one:

Apple TV 4K Review: 13 Reasons You Shouldn't Buy One

If you exclude Dolbyvision - the ATV 4K has been rushed out to market with buggy Firmware for A/V use.

I sold one of my Shield’s and have basically just been using the ATV4K. MrMC plays all my Blu-Ray rips, and the 4K HDR/DV movies on iTunes are really good quality.
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2017-09-27, 13:09)timstephens24 Wrote: I sold one of my Shield’s and have basically just been using the ATV4K. MrMC plays all my Blu-Ray rips, and the 4K HDR/DV movies on iTunes are really good quality.

So the new AppleTV is doing passthrough for your Blu-ray rips audio? You tested DTS-HD and Dolby True HD?

The Apple TV can't do passthrough for lossless codecs, but MrMC (and Kodi if you sideload it) can send DTS-HD and TrueHD as PCM, similar to what's done on the Raspberry Pi, with no loss of quality. You don't get Atmos or DTS-X since you don't get passthrough, but that's all you miss out on (and Dolby Surround/Neural X are pretty good).
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
(2017-09-27, 23:38)timstephens24 Wrote: The Apple TV can't do passthrough for lossless codecs, but MrMC (and Kodi if you sideload it) can send DTS-HD and TrueHD as PCM, similar to what's done on the Raspberry Pi, with no loss of quality. You don't get Atmos or DTS-X since you don't get passthrough, but that's all you miss out on (and Dolby Surround/Neural X are pretty good).

Wow good info, thanks.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Apple TV 4K Vs AmazonFire TV0