• 6(current)
v18 Whitelist modes missing?
arm: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk arm64: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-07-01, 07:05)noggin Wrote: All those people getting 1080p and 720p resolutions for 30Hz and below only.  Are you running nVidia Shield TV?

If so what is your nVidia Shield TV output format at the Android level?  Mine is 2160p 50Hz 4:2:2 12-bit Rec 2020, and I get all 1080p and 720p modes in my whitelist.
 I have a Shield TV.  Sure enough, when I set it to 2160p 30Hz 4:2:2 12-bit Rec 2020 I get all 1080p and 720p modes.  My TV (or HDMI cable?) doesn't support higher 12-bit resolutions.
(2018-07-01, 18:03)RKCRLR Wrote:
(2018-07-01, 07:05)noggin Wrote: All those people getting 1080p and 720p resolutions for 30Hz and below only.  Are you running nVidia Shield TV?

If so what is your nVidia Shield TV output format at the Android level?  Mine is 2160p 50Hz 4:2:2 12-bit Rec 2020, and I get all 1080p and 720p modes in my whitelist.
 I have a Shield TV.  Sure enough, when I set it to 2160p 30Hz 4:2:2 12-bit Rec 2020 I get all 1080p and 720p modes.  My TV (or HDMI cable?) doesn't support higher 12-bit resolutions. 

Some TVs only support the lower bandwidth 4:2:0 HDMI 2.0 modes and don't support the 4:2:2 12 bit ones which require a higher bandwidth ('Extended' is often used to describe it) connection and these will stress cables as they are running at higher bitrates.  This is one time when a higher quality (electrically) HDMI cable does make a difference.  Also on some AVRs and TVs you have to enable these higher/extended bandwidth settings specifically. I had to do this on both my Sony TV and my Denon AVR.

I have switched all my HDMI cables out for Premium Certified OMARS cables from Amazon UK (and one Monoprice).  They are not expensive but have the Premium hologram certification that rates them for the higher HDMI 2.0 bandwidths.  They solved a problem that I was having with some devices not properly supporting all modes.
(2018-07-01, 16:45)fritsch Wrote: arm: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk arm64: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...64-v8a.apk
 Still not working for me Sad
Same as above, white list and refresh rate settings doesn't show 24hz exept if I manually force in my box the 1080p 24hz as default resolution. And even with that, they are listed but the auto refresh rate isn't working.. Sad

Thanks for the help anyway ..
This patch is also needed for Android not just MacOS
so that 23.976fps videos can play at 24hz if you run Nougat or earlier and use a 3.10 kernel which can only play back 23.976fps at 24hz.
Eg. on LibreELEC, it uses a 4.4 kernel that supports 23.976fps on Rockchip RK3328 but Android Nougat on RK3328 still needs to use 24hz as 23.976fps support was only added to Oreo that also uses a 4.4 kernel.
Most Android devices only support 24hz, so I'm not sure what must be done so it can work on both use cases, old devices with only 24hz support and new devices/firmware with Oreo that support 23.976fps.
https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/14077

The whitelist also seems to now show 4096x2160 resolution settings although my tv and device only supports 3840x2160.60hz maximum.
There are also 1080.25/30hz whitelist settings although my tv only supports 1080p.24/50/60hz & 4K.24/25/30/50/60hz ones.
You will select wrong whitelist resolutions by accident that will then not work.

With below one, I can use 1080p.60hz now which was not possible before, so that is already a big improvement.
1080p.24hz shows in the whitelist for me unlike for the other user using a French Amlogic tv box.
http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk
First part of your post is sidetracking, don't do that please. This is btw. my code - I wrote it for memphiz. Those are not yet merged cause of the passthrough guys that will start to wine :-)

Btw. your code snipped above was not correct, we want to compare iWidth and not iScreenWidth on both sides to be able to cope with rotation.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Hello Fritsch,

Thanks a lot for trying to help us with our pb, I didn't really get the lasts post. What does that mean for our problem?
Why some of us can't have the full list of resolution in the whiteList and the auto frame rate switching as in kodi 17.6 :/

What is your last clue?

Thanks again,
BR
(2018-07-02, 12:07)phoenk Wrote: Hello Fritsch,

Why some of us can't have the full list of resolution in the whiteList and the auto frame rate switching as in kodi 17.6 :/

BR

Because there is no developer/maintainer for Android who cares for this feature atm.
Hello,

In that case, isn't it possible to deactivate completelly the whiteList to have something like in kodi 17? :/

Thanks again..
Whitelist was a terrible idea from the inception, as the list may vary depending on displays, hdmi path, system option, ...
Fact that resolutions are disabled by default also breaks backward compatibility, which is bad at 99% in app development.

To meet the original objective, which was to *ignore* some resolutions, I cannot understand why a Blacklist was not implemented instead.

But hey, the main reason I left is that peer discussions is not possible anymore in the Kodi project, so if the self-proclaimed "architect" has a bad idea...

Also, mea culpa. You now suffer because I just wanted to be able to downgrade rsolutions Wink (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13191)
(2018-07-06, 08:52)Koying Wrote: Whitelist was a terrible idea from the inception, as the list may vary depending on displays, hdmi path, system option, ...
Fact that resolutions are disabled by default also breaks backward compatibility, which is bad at 99% in app development.

To meet the original objective, which was to *ignore* some resolutions, I cannot understand why a Blacklist was not implemented instead.

But hey, the main reason I left is that peer discussions is not possible anymore in the Kodi project, so if the self-proclaimed "architect" has a bad idea...

Also, mea culpa. You now suffer because I just wanted to be able to downgrade rsolutions Wink (https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/13191)
I use latest nightly on Nvidia Shield and on Raspberry Pi 2 (via Milhouse LibreELEC).
In my case I don't have problems to use the whitelist on both systems.
The "idea" to downgrade resolution is not the correct way, in that way you can have double scaling.
Take that example:

Available resolution on system:

3840×2160 up to 60 Hz
1920×1080 up to 60 Hz
1280×720 up to 60 Hz

if I have Kodi setted to 3840×2160 at 60 Hz (most high resolution available) and I put in play a 480p content Kodi will go use the "desktop resolution" (most high resolution available) and not the "most high nearest" resolution (1280×720).

If Kodi will go to use the "most high nearest" resolution you will have double scaling: from 480p to 720p made by Kodi and 720p to 2160p made by TV.
So how Kodi now works (and I agree) you have only two oprions:

1. kodi scales to native resolution of TV
2. kodi does not scale at all and outputs same resolution as video

Anyway, during playback, you can choose what resolution/refresh rate to use. So you can manually force the "double scaling" method.
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
TV: Panasonic TX-55EZ950E (OLED)
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR509 (HDMI ARC)
(2018-07-06, 08:52)Koying Wrote: Whitelist was a terrible idea from the inception, as the list may vary depending on displays, hdmi path, system option, ...

I completely agree.

I actually use a slight variations (for Live TV) of @Koying's SPMC Krypton resolution downgrade switching in LibreELEC Krypton - it's a hell of a lot simpler than this overly complicated Whitelist business. Especially for end users.

(2018-07-06, 09:42)wrxtasy Wrote:

I completely agree.

I actually use a slight variations (for Live TV) of @Koying's SPMC Krypton resolution downgrade switching in LibreELEC Krypton - it's a hell of a lot simpler than this overly complicated Whitelist business. Especially for end users.   
 May be the best way for all the end users is to automatically whitelist all the resolutions/refresh rate available for the system so in that way Kodi will go to switch resolution/refresh rate (if the exact resolutions/refresh rate available is matched).
BUT in that way the user is NOT able to choose if and for what resolutions/refresh switch to.

On my side for example, the upscaling made by my main TV is better (better quality) that one made by Kodi, so I prefer to switch resolution in order to let upscale from the TV.

Contrariwise, the upscaling made my secondary TV (a very entry level TV) is poor, so for that TV I prefer the Kodi upscaling instead using the upscaling made by TV.
Kodi 18: Nvidia Shield TV (main device) and LibreELEC on Raspberry Pi 2 and Odroid C2
TV: Panasonic TX-55EZ950E (OLED)
AVR: Onkyo TX-NR509 (HDMI ARC)
(2018-07-06, 09:32)outcave Wrote: 1. kodi scales to native resolution of TV
2. kodi does not scale at all and outputs same resolution as video

... which was exactly the point of the original PR.
No need of whitelisting (and even blacklisting) for that.

You perfectly outline the duality of having *or* a high-end TV where upscaling is better than Kodi, *or* low-end TV where upscaling is worse.
That's why you always had the option to do refresh rate switching or not.

There cannot be cases where, for a given display, uspcaling is better done by Kodi at certain resolutions, and by TV at others, so whitelisting is pointless, here
Anyone knows how to fix the whitelist setting to show 1080i or other interlaced resolutions on LibreELEC for ARM devices?
It seems to effect Amlogic and Rockchip LibreELEC devices.
In Android interlaced resolutions are available in the whitelist and play deinterlaced correctly with auto frame-rate switching turned on but not in LibreELEC ARM.
https://trac.kodi.tv/ticket/17910
I opened a new thread here in the Linux section since it might become off-topic - https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=333530

I build my own Kodi 18 for Android ARM without the whitelist code and now all frame-rate resolution switching works great again as it used to do.
I just hope the whitelist problems can be solved in future since not all of us use Nvidia Shields with expensive tv's that do their own upscaling.
  • 6(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Whitelist modes missing?0