NVIDIA SHIELD Micro stuttering with every version of KODI except SPMC 16 and MRMC
Hey Guys,

I want to update SPMC 16 to Kodi 17 or 18. Unfortunately every version I tried shows micro stuttering while playing my content. 
*This happens on local content too
On SPMC I had "Sync playback to display" set to ON which made the playback super smooth and "Adjust display refresh rate" set to OFF

-- SPMC 16
"Sync playback to display" set to ON 
"Adjust display refresh rate" set to OFF
Smooth playback and display doesn't change refresh rate when playing a movie 
--
-- Kodi 17.6, Kodi 18 Alpha 3 or the last nightly 
"Sync playback to display" set to ON 
"Adjust display refresh rate" set to OFF
I experience frame drops every few seconds. 
--
-- Kodi 17.6, Kodi 18 Alpha 3 or the last nightly 
"Sync playback to display" set to OFF 
"Adjust display refresh rate" set to ON
Plays smooth but the TV is changing refresh rate when playing a movie which takes a few seconds every time, I'd like to avoid that.
--

I also tried downloading SPMC 17.6a2 from a branch but the problem is also there.
The only fork of Kodi that worked was MrMC Light with "Sync playback to display" which gave me identical results as SPMC 16.
My SHIELD output is set to 59.94 Hz.

Any idea what's going on?

I've also noticed that if debugging is ON, I can see that the FPS in SPMC 16 is changing from 60FPS to 24FPS when playing a movie. That doesn't happen in any version of Kodi.

Here I played a minute of a movie that dropped frames in Kodi 17.6: https://pastebin.com/5enUGvTU

* No addons, Fresh install, only setting changed - "Sync playback to display" set to ON
11:06:56.661 T:151197480176 NOTICE: Disabled debug logging due to GUI setting. Level 0.
Please enable debugging first, and restart Kodi, re-play your stutter video(s) and send in the full and more in-depth log file.

I had/have similar micro stutters in 17.6 / 18a3 on the 2015 Nvidia Shield TV, and 'Sync playback to display' still doesn't seem to make a difference in Kodi 18a3 and Android Oreo. I also changed the Shield's output to 60Hz, and at first that seemed to fix it at first, but micro stutters still appear every so often.

I don't have a log file myself yet (just changed to Kodi 18, and RL gets in the way), but the micro stutters have been there a long time. I had hoped Oreo would make a difference.

I prefer not to go to MrMC or Kodi 16 because of the shared sql library...
Just noticed it, sorry. Apparently debugging is set back to OFF when reopening Kodi.
I edited my message with debug logs. https://pastebin.com/5enUGvTU

What does shared shared sql library means and why should I care?
(2018-08-22, 11:10)Shasoosh Wrote: What does shared shared sql library means and why should I care?
By default Kodi uses local databases only. You can use an external (MySQL) database solution where all metadata of your videos and/or music will be stored. That way, multiple Kodi clients can access that same database, so your media collection will be kept up-to-date and synced for all clients in terms of watched status and resume points. If you have only one Kodi device in your home, then such a solution is irrelevant.
It's a long shot, but maybe @Koying will know \ remember.

I'm a long time SPMC user and recently wanted to upgrade to Kodi 17 or 18. My first go to was to buy MrMC (Which I did) but with its current limitations I'm trying to use Kodi for the time being. 
SPMC does something very unique as opposed to other Kodi versions which is adjusting the playback FPS according to the content. 
So for example, if "Adjust display refresh rate" is set to OFF, while my SHIELD outputs 59.94 & playing a 24FPS movie, the debug OSD will show that FPS are 59.94 in the SPMC GUI but will change to 24FPS while playing the movie. This never happens in Kodi 17 or 18.

Why is it good?
In SPMC settings
"Adjust display refresh rate" set to OFF
"Sync playback to display" set to ON 
eliminates stuttering and judder completely without changing the TV refresh rate. 

In Kodi 17.6 with the same settings, I'll drop frames every few seconds. I suspect it's due to do fact the the FPS is 59.94 in the GUI and also when playing a 24FPS movie.
Changing the settings to:
"Adjust display refresh rate" set to ON
"Sync playback to display" set to ON 
Will result a clean smooth playback but the TV will take a few seconds to change the refresh rate on every play.

Do you have any idea what's going on or what was implemented in SPMC that Kodi doesn't do?
Was there magic involved?

Thanks
same problem here.

it doesn't matter which combination of settings i try

Adjust display refresh rate" set to OFF or ON
"Sync playback to display" set to ON or OFF

i always have micro stuttering on my shield with latest Leia Beta Nightly

anyone any idea how to fix this ?
Did you enable the whitelisting modes in the Settings/System/Video section?
In Kodi 18 Leia, that is. Alpha or Beta.
yes, whitelisting modes were enabled.

but it seems the stuttering is gone since i changed the refresh rate vom 50Hz to 60Hz in settings.
I dont know why, but it's gone or at least hardly noticeable ...
Hi Everyone,

I am using SPMC 17.6a2 on my Nvidia Shield and have 2016 Vizio P Series P65C1. I watch 65% 720p/1080p x264 tv/movies and 35% 4K x265 10bit HDR files.

2 questions:

1. Should I set adjust display refresh rate to on or off?
2. Sync Playback to display to on or off?

I can't really notice much of a difference other than the starting and stopping of files is less glitchy with adjust display refresh rate set to off (for obvious reasons) but the playback itself I can't exactly tell a difference.

When I have the adjust display refresh rate set to on then my Vizio TV system info will say that any 1080p or 4K content I play will be a 24hz where if it's off it'll play at 60hz.

One would think 60hz > 24hz but I read somewhere that 1080p blurays are filmed at 24fps so does that mean I should be watching it at 24hz instead? Confusing. Thanks for the help.
(2019-02-27, 10:45)stevendom1987 Wrote: I am using SPMC 17.6a2 on my Nvidia Shield
Unfortunately SPMC development has stopped some time ago, and it's actally not an official Kodi build.
Bursting this into a 6 month old forum thread is also not the best mode of attack.
Any chance you could try Kodi 18.1 instead?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
NVIDIA SHIELD Micro stuttering with every version of KODI except SPMC 16 and MRMC0